Joseph Gordon-Levitt to Play Star-Lord?

Posted by k4tzm4n (45537 posts) - - Show Bio

Could Batman's protege soon soar into Marvel Studios' expanding universe? According to Deadline, it looks like there's a chance Joseph Gordon-Levitt could star in 2014's Guardians Of The Galaxy.

Can you imagine JGL behind the mask?          

Reports have hit the web about actors allegedly in the running for Peter Quill aka Star-Lord and JGL is just the latest name on the growing list. It also includes Zachary Levi (Chuck), Jim Sturgess (Cloud Atlas), Joel Edgerton (Zero Dark Thirty), Eddie Redmayne (Les Miserables), Lee Pace (The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey) and Jack Huston (Boardwalk Empire). 

Peter Quill is half human, half alien and the leader of the cosmic group of alien heroes (which includes the likes of Drax and Rocket Raccoon). Be sure to check out Star-Lord's Comic Vine page for more details.

If you haven't been able to get your hands on any of the previous GotG source material, fear not, a brand new series is on the way thanks to Marvel NOW! A point one issue by Brian Michael Bendis and Steve McNiven will be out in February.  

Viners, do you think Gordon-Levitt would be a good fit to lead the Guardians of the Galaxy? Sound off below. 

Source: Deadline

Staff Online
#1 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2639 posts) - - Show Bio

Why not? He's a good actor and after much thought, I doubt he'd make a good Batman.

#2 Posted by neiliusprime (255 posts) - - Show Bio

I definitely think he can pull it off. He was good in Looper. I hope we get some official casting news soon.

#3 Posted by knightofthechronicle (692 posts) - - Show Bio

Man this guy gets around

#4 Posted by k4tzm4n (45537 posts) - - Show Bio
@neiliusprime said:

I definitely think he can pull it off. He was good in Looper. I hope we get some official casting news soon.

Looper was fantastic and JGL did a brilliant job portraying a younger Willis.  I'm excited to re-watch that one soon on blu-ray.
Staff Online
#5 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know!

#6 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9090 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like to see him play a Marvel character. He is an awesome actor

#7 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Why not?

#8 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7840 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah why not, he's a good actor. Would be nice to see some new talent come into these movies though tbh.

#9 Posted by Decept-O (7279 posts) - - Show Bio

Go with an unknown or lesser known actor and save the studio some money. I always have to laugh at all these "potential" casting announcements, it usually entails whatever actor or actress is popular at the moment, or if he or she has done other comic book related movies.

#10 Posted by Toxinalolic (18 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightofthechronicle: Hey gets around because he is a good actor that's why but I did not know he would become so well known from third rock from the sun though.

#11 Posted by sentryman555 (771 posts) - - Show Bio

If Chris Evans can play two superheroes than so can JGL!

#12 Posted by Aiden Cross (15569 posts) - - Show Bio

He could, he's got the acting skills and range =) But to be honest, he's already big in Hollywood and i'd like to see a newer actor take on the part =)

#13 Posted by cyberchop979 (451 posts) - - Show Bio

@sentryman555 said:

If Chris Evans can play two superheroes than so can JGL!

And Evans played two roles in the same universe. At least JGL is spreading the wealth.

#14 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

This could work quite well.

#15 Posted by MrMazz (1249 posts) - - Show Bio

Joel Edgerton would be my choice.

#16 Posted by GreenFuse (295 posts) - - Show Bio

I like JGL, Looper was frakin' awesome, but I'm not a fan of reusing actors in different comic book films. It bugs me for some reason. There's enough talented actors to pull from. Get some fresh faces in these films. At this point, comic book films are so popular and lucrative that they don't need to just go for the A-list/recognizable actors.

#17 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

it seems like only certain actors can play superhero movies..which is odd because im sure that there are thousandsof aspiring actors/actresses who are talented, fans of the comics series, and need the paycheck more than these actors. And in other new i hear Kim kardashian is getting a big role in a tyler perry movie....

*sigh typical Hollywood is typical

#18 Posted by Cavemold (1684 posts) - - Show Bio

yea dont see why not

#19 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

This reminds me of when Ryan Reynolds played two super heroes, one Marvel, one DC. That worked out well if I remember correctly.

#20 Posted by Emperormeister734 (814 posts) - - Show Bio

He deserves the role, my only question is: Who will protect Gotham now

#21 Posted by iancoderre3 (53 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes! I can't wait. JGL just keeps getting better and better! I hope he gets the part!

#22 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Sign me up. Sign me right the f*ck up.

#23 Posted by Mr. Kamikaze (526 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he'd make a pretty decent Ryan Reynolds.

#24 Posted by Gonzo33 (111 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like that kid from Tron Legacy to play Star-Lord!

#25 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

Might be cool.

#26 Posted by Nightwing28710 (157 posts) - - Show Bio

Will they call him Star Lord? Or some Joe Shmo name until the end, then ask him why he doesn't use his legal name..... Star.

#27 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

^ lol

#28 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (7035 posts) - - Show Bio

@zackattack529: Tyler Perry pays to make his own movies and is released under his own label. I really don't see how that is Hollywood when Tyler Perry is the one deciding to let Kim Kardashian into the movie. It's probably a marketing ploy to get more money since his movies don't make much, but it's not hollywood. People just like Kim Kardashian lol.

#29 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (7035 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a super humongous crush on Joseph Gordan-Levitt. Almost to the point of obsession. So yes, I would definitely love for him to play Star Lord. Anything he plays is pretty awesome, though his older movies are so much better. You guys should give Mysterious Skin and Manic a watch. They are great movies and shows how great of an actor he is.

#30 Posted by Danial79 (2351 posts) - - Show Bio

I can totally see him playing Star-Lord. I really hope it comes to be.

#31 Posted by JMLG (135 posts) - - Show Bio

my anticipation for this movie just went way up if this happens.. they need a excellent actor for the Drax role too

#32 Posted by bad_rubber_piggy (10 posts) - - Show Bio

JGL is a great actor but can he do it while wearing a mask? High profile actors tend to have trouble with hiding their face. Tobey Maguire couldn't keep his mask on as Spiderman and everybody makes fun of Tom Hardy's Bane so what do you do? I think for characters like that you have to concentrate on the actors voice not their face. Think of James Earl Jones as Darth Vader, the voice is the character.

#33 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

he was also Cobra Commander lol

#34 Posted by BritishMonkey (324 posts) - - Show Bio

Well impossible for Zachary Levi to be Star Lord, considering he's Fandral in Thor.

#35 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (7019 posts) - - Show Bio

JGL to play in every single movie of 2013?

#36 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok, as long as Batman or/and JLG is not in Man Of Steel. I need that to be Superman only.

#37 Posted by Mercy_ (92760 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a huge JGL fan. This would be awesome.

#38 Posted by impossibilly (886 posts) - - Show Bio

Joseph Gordon Levitt is an amazing actor, and for the most part (GI Joe excluded), is very picky about what movies he's in. If he signs on for GoTG, I will immediately be more excited to see it.

#39 Posted by Maikky (22 posts) - - Show Bio

@jordama:

If this happens, theres still hope for the Deadpool movie .

Which I want to happen with RR .

#40 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4808 posts) - - Show Bio
I for one think this is a great idea, and AWEsome. I hope he gets the role. (+)
#41 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, is JGL becoming the next Ryan Reynolds then? All I have to say really...

#42 Posted by That60sGuy (288 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd prefer Zachary Levi myself. Only cos I'm a big fan of Chuck. Although I think him playing Fandral in Thor 2 might count against him!

#43 Posted by snootchie_bootchies (131 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does there have to be a point one issue. I hate those things, they are so confusing.

#44 Posted by GR2Blackout (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

JGL = new Toby Maguire.

They should both never EVER play any superheroes EVER.

Although I did enjoy TDKR...

#45 Posted by MercWithaMouth2385 (51 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Jack Huston would be great. He was really good in Shrooms!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.