Is Vin Diesel Groot?

• 83 results
Posted by k4tzm4n (36405 posts) - - Show Bio

There's been plenty of speculation over Vin Diesel's involvement with Marvel. First (and quite some time ago), he uploaded a fan made photo of him as Vision to his Facebook page (and an official image or two of the character afterwards), and more recently, he announced a meeting with Marvel. While there, he took a photo right in front of THE AVENGERS #2. Needless to say, there's been a lot of talk about who the star could become in Marvel Studios' expanding universe. Well, today the actor changed his Facebook cover photo to the following image of Groot and it seems safe to assume we can now put that casting speculation to rest.

Sure, he's used another character as his cover photo before, but he specifically stated the last one was fan made and the timing for this totally matches all of the casting announcements and hype they're trying to build for this movie. Assuming this is indeed his role, it shouldn't come as much of a surprise because the dude has quite the voice (Iron Giant, anyone?).

Viners, would you be cool with Diesel as Groot or would you rather have him as another character? Guardians of the Galaxy is directed by James Gunn and scheduled to hit theaters 08/01/14.

UPDATE #1

Vin Diesel has already changed his cover photo. Perhaps he let the alien out of the bag too early?

UPDATE #2

Deadline claims the actor is indeed in talks with Marvel for the role of Groot.

Staff Online
#1 Posted by The Cyan Lantern (240 posts) - - Show Bio

Screenshot for the folks

#2 Edited by biggkeem89 (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

I freaking knew it. From him voicing the Iron Giant, it would make since for him to be Groot.

#3 Posted by CrimAldan (26 posts) - - Show Bio

Works for me.

#4 Posted by RavenVice01 (213 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess he would be alright its just a waist of his talent. Now that I think about it, they should have Doug Jones play Vision since he wasn't bad as the Silver Surfer. Its just the script sucked.

#5 Edited by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

it's great but he would've voiced an awesome cgi vision.

#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32698 posts) - - Show Bio

I though Marvel confirmed that he was in no way part of the MCU and where kinda bemused why he was saying this stuff?

#7 Posted by cameron83 (6642 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Edited by k4tzm4n (36405 posts) - - Show Bio

I though Marvel confirmed that he was in no way part of the MCU and where kinda bemused why he was saying this stuff?

Link?

Staff Online
#9 Posted by Grey56 (728 posts) - - Show Bio

Just glad he's on board, should be fun to have him along. Thanks for sharing.

#10 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6128 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool.

#11 Edited by thatlad (590 posts) - - Show Bio

Waste of money and talent. Doesn't groot only say one line?

I'd like to see Nolan North as Rocket

#12 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32698 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by Z3RO180 (6307 posts) - - Show Bio

DEAR GOD YES

#14 Posted by k4tzm4n (36405 posts) - - Show Bio
Staff Online
#15 Posted by Z3RO180 (6307 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: Dude that doesn't say that he won't be in anything in fact if anything it conformist he might be in something

#16 Posted by Dabee (2380 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm kind of disappointed just because this means the Vision might not be appearing in the Cinematic Universe. I do think he'll be a great Groot though. I guess it's just the Vision-fan in me.

#17 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32698 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@k4tzm4n said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Link?

Kevin Feige, Marvel Studios Head, On 'Doctor Strange,' The Mystery Phase 3 Movies And Vin Diesel

I don't see how Feige saying "there's nothing to announce" at the time translates to he's "in no way part of the MCU."

It implys they had a meeting it went fine but nothing came from it. He evens says "maybe somewhere down the line"

#18 Posted by NightCrawler358 (199 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, how did I not even make this connection before! I wasn't really behind him playing Vision, but Groot is a great role for him, the voice is perfect! Feeling incredibly hopeful for GotG to do well.

#19 Posted by Mild_Karl (131 posts) - - Show Bio

More & more excited for GotG by the minute. I have no idea what the hell that movie is going to be & I can't wait to find out.

#20 Posted by Extremis (3334 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravenvice01: a waste of what talent exactly? I didn't know people thought Vin was a good actor O.o

#21 Posted by warlock360 (28040 posts) - - Show Bio

"Vin Dieseellll...."

#22 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm kinda dissapointed...I was expecting Thanos.

#23 Posted by Protoflash (124 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank god. No offense to FAST fans, but he just doesn't seem to fit into the marvel cinematic universe. But since he's just going to be saying one sentence over and over again. Im more than happy about this

#24 Edited by ccraft (5045 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@ravenvice01: a waste of what talent exactly? I didn't know people thought Vin was a good actor O.o

How dare you!!! Vin Diesel is a great actor, haven't you seen any of his movies? Pitch Black, Fast and Furious series? D:<

I personally wanted to see him as the green guy, but whatever..

#25 Posted by Mercy_ (92548 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh

#26 Posted by CaptainHoopla (885 posts) - - Show Bio

No, wait, this can't be right!...I am Groot!

#27 Posted by TekTheNinja (766 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope this is his role! :D

also, Greg Ellis (played rocket raccoon in Avengers earths mightiest heroes and ultimate marvel vs capcom 3) should voice rocket raccoon again for the movie.

#28 Posted by loQ_on (31 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this is will work nicely, although I'm not sure how I would feel about Groot(possibly) having more than one line(if not it seems like a waste of Mr. Diesel's voice). But like the fact that this also keeps the possibility of Vin Diesel also playing another character in the Marvel universe open. I think the man is cool & as a fan of him & Marvel I believe there are many other characters that he could play well.

#29 Posted by kriminal (642 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought he'd make a good ben grimm. I have never read gaurdians, so getting an actor that matters in it sparks my interest

#30 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7543 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, I rather him be a voice actor than having to watch his horrendous acting.

#31 Edited by haydenclaireheroes (8871 posts) - - Show Bio

That could be interesting to see

#32 Posted by BR_Havoc (1270 posts) - - Show Bio

His lines will be really easy to learn. Good casting in my opinion.

#33 Posted by TheGodofThunder (584 posts) - - Show Bio

@loq_on: Back when Groot first reappeared in Annihilation Conquest: Starlord, Groot didn't just say, "I am Groot!" He was the mighty king of planet X and he and Rocket were like a space Odd Couple. It was glorious. Now they've reduced him down to a one line pile of crap and Bendis has somehow made him worse.

#34 Posted by Onemoreposter (3938 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought he would have made a fantastic Pym. Strong, imposing Diesel is someone who'd have the ability to make Pym a character who could believably sit at the table with the rest of the film Avengers.

#35 Edited by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh I think this would be just fine in my opinion! Full steam ahead with Diesel playing Groot!

#36 Posted by batmannflash (6189 posts) - - Show Bio

That's good enough for me!

#37 Edited by kcvic (44 posts) - - Show Bio

I was hoping for either paste pot Pete ..or the wrecker....

#38 Posted by M3th (2037 posts) - - Show Bio

I said the Avengers photo could have been a ruse. I said what of he was Thanos, Silver Surfer, or a villain for Dr.Strange. I told em... I told y'all.

#39 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (6942 posts) - - Show Bio

They should just have Riddick join the Guardians :p

The more badasses, the better!

#40 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (7736 posts) - - Show Bio

it kinda looks like someone hastily carved galactus out of wood

#41 Posted by TheFirstLantern (1481 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought Black Bolt but no Inhuman love :(

#42 Posted by k4tzm4n (36405 posts) - - Show Bio

UPDATE!

Staff Online
#43 Edited by wbr17 (176 posts) - - Show Bio

#44 Posted by mrpandopool (63 posts) - - Show Bio

"I AM GROOT!!" that´s it give me my millions.

#45 Posted by kid Apollo (709 posts) - - Show Bio

im alrite with vin dielsel as Groot

if only they casted jason statham as Rocket

#46 Posted by Mangakid1995 (139 posts) - - Show Bio

It dosent really make sence to me to cast Vin as Groot, I mean the character just repeats his name over and over. Unless the plane to make Groot more like the Iron Giant and less like a Pokemon then it makes sence in which case I'm all for this casting choice. Vin Diesel isn't a bad actor he just makes a lot of subpare movies.

#47 Edited by The Lobster (1484 posts) - - Show Bio

Come in, Say the same line a dozen times. Get paid a couple thousand.
Walk out as a main beloved character in a summer blockbuster.

Who wouldn't want that job?

#48 Edited by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2213 posts) - - Show Bio

Perfect for that role.

#49 Edited by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2213 posts) - - Show Bio

It doesn't really make sense to me to cast Vin as Groot, I mean the character just repeats his name over and over. Unless the plane to make Groot more like the Iron Giant and less like a Pokemon then it makes sense in which case I'm all for this casting choice. Vin Diesel isn't a bad actor he just makes a lot of sub par movies.

Maybe he'll do the motion capture or stunt work for the character.

#50 Posted by Lvenger (18316 posts) - - Show Bio

So is this confirmed or still a rumour? If so, not too bad. I could definitely see Diesel as Groot. He wouldn't have that much variation in his role though. Still he sounds like a good Groot to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.