k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

Now that the dust has literally settled from the very awesome fight on the Moon, it's time for Brian Michael Bendis and consultant Neil Gaiman to tell readers who Angela really is. Sure, we know she's a fan of absurdly large belts and can kick all kinds of ass, but what else is there to her? Yes, fans of Spawn likely know her well, but for everyone else -- which includes me -- this issue finally gives the character some depth and provides us with a reason to care about her. As someone who has no prior experience with the character, I found her tale to be quite intriguing and I won't elaborate on it in the event many others are unaware of where she's from and why she was going to Earth.

Even when the issue is basically pure exposition and mostly in one room, Bendis has what it takes to keep things energetic. The chemistry between the characters remains particularly strong, and while Star-Lord and Iron Man seem to have interchangeable personalities, they're especially humorous. "I am Groot" is dropped a little too much, but more than a couple of them felt appropriate and made me crack a smirk.

As usual, Sara Pichelli (art) and Justin Ponsor (colorist) are able to provide visuals which match the tone Bendis provides. There's super lovable expressions from the unique cast and the few looks at Earth/space just ooze a great sci-fi atmosphere. The transition to Valerio Schiti's art isn't jarring in the least since it's used for a flashback scene and, truth be told, isn't a majorly drastic change in style.

Also, is it just me or are whales really popular in comics now?

The Bad

Ultimately, this issue boils down to telling us the basics of who Angela is and recapping why she's here (AGE OF ULTRON). It's exposition heavy (which Bendis does handle pretty well) and then delivers an obligatory link to Marvel's big latest big event. It's thoroughly enjoyable -- no doubt about it -- but to me, nothing really warrants a bump to 5-stars.

The Verdict

In a series loaded with magnificent sci-fi potential, Bendis has the ability to keep matters fun even when a good chunk of the issue is just characters standing around and talking in one room. GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is nothing if not consistently entertaining. Clearly, that's what Marvel wants, too, since we all know they'd like to boost the popularity of these individuals before they make the leap to the big screen next summer (which I am beyond excited for, by the way). And while it is a bit overdue, this chapter finally does a fine job informing us that Angela's more than an oddly dressed woman who can demolish entire teams.

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Are people enjoying this book as much as @k4tzm4n? I read up until issue 3 and the BLAM! annoyed me, as did the lack of characterization (which surprised me coming from Bendis). That being said, I really wanted to like the book. Has it gotten better?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@hawkguy: I don't recall seeing a "BLAM! Murdered you!" or such in quite some time, actually. But, I do agree it was overused back then -- despite thinking it's funny -- and even said so in one of my previous reviews. Gamora has been receiving a greater focus, although the attention to Drax still feels minimal compared to the rest of the gang and that's particularly disappointing since he's my favorite in the group. I noticed a lot of positive comments in Corey's review for the last issue, so it does seem like quite a few are enjoying it. But anyway, I guess we'll wait to see how others feel.

HeckTate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 7

@hawkguy: I'm thoroughly enjoying so far. Haven't had a chance to read this one yet, but the first 6 have been great, imo.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I might be dropping the book after this issue. I have been debating whether or not to keep this book, and this issue finally topped off all the Bendis banter that I can take. I enjoy the overall story that Bendis puts out on most of his titles, but the dialog is a little too much for me on this book.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

@hawkguy: I'm loving it, though I haven't read this issue yet.

Trevel8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#6  Edited By Trevel8182

@hawkguy: @k4tzm4n: The problem here is that Bendis is the wrong writer to tackle a team such as this. I typically dislike to fall back to previous interpretations by different writers, but in this case, I don't think I have a choice: one of the most poignant elements of the DnA run is the fact that, despite most of the team members wearing either a standard Guardians uniform or a uniform with the team's colors, every. single. character felt different from one another. Star-Lord didn't talk like Jack Flag, who didn't talk like Rocket Raccoon, who didn't talk like Drax, who didn't talk like Warlock. Each of them had not only distinct personality traits, but distinct personalities period. That's why readers were able to grow fond of these characters. Bendis, on the other hand, is writing characters who now all stand apart from each other on a visual level, and yet seems incapable of giving each character their own distinctive voice, to the point where lines of dialogue could easily be interchangeable between the characters (seriously, try to do this exercise with these preview pages and you'll see what I mean). Most of what people grew to love about these characters is gone, replaced by vague characterizations, to the point where Rocket is just a crazed psychopathic mass-murderer with a cute look and a one-liner (that "Blam! Murdered you" shtick was old by the second page of the first issue it started on) and Drax is nothing but a deranged green manifestation of roid-rage (instead of the multi-layered character that was able to be completely vicious during combat and yet perfectly capable of discussing abstract concepts like Life or Death). Unlike Abnett, Bendis writes characters with personality traits instead of characters with personalities. In my book, that doesn't make for a worthwhile, entertaining read, and even less so when said read turns previously complex characters into sleeker-looking caricatures of their former selves...

millennium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawkguy: enjoyed the first 5 but im loosing interest in the title with it going into a 5 to what looks like a 7 months of tie-ins for events that i dont care about

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trevel8182: I never read the DnA run but I was hoping for a Drax that was similar to the way Simone wrote Bane in Secret Six, and it seems like that's the kind of Drax that was present in the DnA run. Bendis is a very "light" writer when it comes to tone, and it causes too many jokes and too many light-hearted conversations, which happens to be my biggest gripe with him.

Thank you @k4tzm4n@guttridgeb@hecktate and @trevel8182, I'll wait to see if anyone else mentions anything and in the mean time I'll re-read the 3 (4 including 0.1) issues I have, maybe pick up the 4th and 5th ones to see how they are. It's a serious pity because I remember reading the 0.1 and having my hype levels go over 9000, then reading the first 3 issues wondering what happened.

Eivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawkguy: As fan of both I can tell outside of being big guys Drax and Bane are almost nothing alike.

Star_Boy616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to read this book so bad, but i'll probably wait until the arc of Jean Grey to start reading this. I hope Iron Man leaves the team, I don't picture him in space adventures, it seems so forced.

akiro616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By akiro616

Really prefer the previous run but this is growing on me but my only complaints

1. Explain the cancerverse how they got out and WHERE THE HELL IS RICHARD!

2. wheres the rest jack flag, bug etc especially bug since he was in the sort of prequel team in avengers assembled

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hecktate said:

@hawkguy: I'm thoroughly enjoying so far. Haven't had a chance to read this one yet, but the first 6 have been great, imo.

I agree

LoatheMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LoatheMe

@hawkguy:

I almost stopped reading it at the same time you did, but hoped that Gaiman would improve things somehow, but there was really no noticeable difference. If you were annoyed by the blam type dialogue, lack of actual characterization, and I'm guessing the fact that there is almost no plot progress happening at all probably bothered you too, then no you sure are not going to like it any more now.

Everything Trevel8182 said is spot on and on top of that there is, like I said, a glaring lack of plot progression in the series. These latest Angela issues in particular served absolutely no purpose whatosever as far as advancing the plot device of Angela arriving in Marvel. It was an utterly mindless conflict, born out of foolish, childish behavior, with no real resolution or point. Those 3 issues could be erased from existence and she could have popped out in the end of AU and still be in the exact same place.

I know a lot of people don't like to admit that Bendis is capable of ever doing wrong, but this is NOT one of his good works. Jesus, that exchange in today's issue with the "jokes" about Who's the Boss and Belinda Carlisle for example, was painfully awkward and unfunny and I don't understand how anyone can have liked that. I'm done with this book.

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hawkguy

@loatheme: I've been enjoying his X-Men stuff, and UC Spider-Man but his Daredevil has been my favourite read. I think Bendis is a much better solo character writer, and every fault you pointed out is something I noticed as well. I want to like GotG, and maybe someday, once Marvel decides to take a breather from events, it'll be good, but for now I guess I don't see myself enjoying what's going on.

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I read the old GotG series, and while i thoroughly enjoy that, i still very much enjoy this series. People should stop comparing, and read it for what it is, not what it 'was'. Bendis cops so much flack, but give that guy a break. He's proven himself to be a great writer enough!

Nice review @k4tzm4n! ya beeeaaasstttt

Fenderxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

Really enjoy the serires, and I do not mind the setting up of Angela, only think I tought they missed was the timing of the issue, it ends with the start of infinity, and we are really deep in infinity at this point.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fenderxx said:

Really enjoy the serires, and I do not mind the setting up of Angela, only think I tought they missed was the timing of the issue, it ends with the start of infinity, and we are really deep in infinity at this point.

I completely agree with everything,and I have been enjoying this series from the first few issues.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read the old GotG series, and while i thoroughly enjoy that, i still very much enjoy this series. People should stop comparing, and read it for what it is, not what it 'was'. Bendis cops so much flack, but give that guy a break. He's proven himself to be a great writer enough!

Nice review @k4tzm4n! ya beeeaaasstttt

I agree. I like both,but I also like this. Some people have legitimate,understandable personal reasons,and for others it just seems more based out of some sort of bias and making assumptions and such (and over reacting).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.