broo1232's Guardians of the Galaxy #4 review

• broo1232 wrote this review on .
  • broo1232 has written a total of 182 reviews. The last one was for Rapture

Gamora the damsel in distress.

This review may be shorter than my usual stuff.

Minor spoilers

Look this series has had mixed reviews because well everyone was such a fan of the last run, and this series certainly isn’t the same, but the whole point of Marvel Now! Was to go in new directions not do what was done before, so this series does it very well, but still this series isn’t perfect and it hasn’t been as good as the .1 issue that started the series.

Plot

After celebrating their victory against the Spartax the guardians relax in a bar, and Gamora and Tony Stark begin flirting with each other, and end up sleeping with each other. Gamora leaves the ship and is attacked.

Review

This probably is the weakest issue so far now it’s not the plot which is good if a little unoriginal, but hey it’s fun to read and well the arts good enough anyway, but Bendis doesn’t seem to know how to write some of these characters especially Drax, and Gamora and well considering how he’s done with the characters in past issues I’m surprised how he’s done in this issue. In brief terms basically Drax is normally a brooding killing machine, but in this he’s a complete party person and Gamora is a damsel in distress when she’s the most dangerous woman in the universe.

The Good

• · Tony Stark is well written I think as of late he’s more like Robert Downey Jr in comics and not the genius he used to be, he’s certainly not dumb like that, but he’s a bit more like a charmer like in the films, but this seems to be a bit more like a line wide thing, and it’s shown in this as well
  • The scene in the bar at the beginning of the issue is pretty fun to read, and there are some neat jokes in it especially Rocket Racoon who is probably the best written character in this book, but that’s not hard. The scene is the springboard for the rest of the issue, but more on that in a minute.
  • The action scene in this issue is…. Neat I suppose in terms of the art, and the drama to the scene, but well once again more on that in a minute.
  • The moment with Tony calling Pepper was touching if a little awkward, but that’s what I liked about it, it’s funny and it was a step back to see how Tony was feeling about his situation and his isolation.
  • The villain in this issue is interesting I mean at first I thought it was really boring because he’s just a bounty hunter, but the mystery that is established and the truly awesome ending, made him a whole lot more interesting, and the mystery surrounding Gamora is even more interesting now.
  • · Groot is still awesome in this issue and his one line is perfectly placed in every moment to make it as funny as possible.
  • · The final page is just so well done, and so dramatic it’s just soooo good.
  • · Sara Pichelli is in a tough position Steve McNiven is one of the best artists in the business, his really detailed refined style just leaps off the page, and fitted this book incredibly well, because of all the detail in the aliens and sci-fi tech, but Pichelli is a great replacement in her own way. McNiven was good with emotions Pichelli is better, her characters look so alive and expressive, you could tell what was going on and what each character is thinking without the dialogue and I really mean that, Gamora and Star Lord really stand out, and one panel of Tony Stark looked really funny in a good way. Pichelli also handles action and the sci-fi look of the book really well.

The Bad

• The covers good in terms of art, but the design is unoriginal, and it feels a little uninspired.
  • Gamora is the so called most dangerous woman in the universe, so when she comes up against a bounty hunter you'd think she'd take him out easily enough, but no she puts up a fight, but makes a stupid mistake, and literally sits there when she's about to be Spoiler shot if say the bounty hunter was really powerful or something like that, but he's not. Gamora in this issue is a damsel in distrest and a plot point in this issue early on she's characterised pretty well, but later on she just felt lame.
  • Drax the destroyer is not a drunken idiot in this issue, he's a brooding badass character and in this he just gets drunk and feels like nothing more than a drunken idiot. Bendis does this often with characters writing them to suit his plot, not exactly how they should be.
  • The romance between Tony Stark and Gamora felt forced at first it was funny, but to suddenly jump from flirting to sleeping together feels forced, and unless something happened in between which mean Bendis skipped a bit of the story, but I doubt this, but either it feels really forced this relationship.

All of the problems that Bendis always seemed to have with writing team books, and characters in general seem to appear in two of the characters in this book to a big extent, and it dropped the issue down in terms of quality and the relation ship in this issue felt forced, but its still a fun read, and the mystery with Gamora is intriguing.

3 stars

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

Great review, I was considering giving it a 4 myself, but on reflection whilst writing my own review I decided it was only worth 3 as well.

Edited by broo1232
Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@broo1232: Yeah it was a good review, and I agreed on most things. I just enjoyed the Gamora bounty sequence, and am interested to see where the Tony/Gamora relationship will go (probably nowhere but still interested).

Posted by broo1232

@johnkmccubbin91: I know a lot about Gamora (no offence) and I know how the characters work and I don't think any relationship even superheroes would go from flirting to sleeping with each other in one conversation.

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@broo1232: I know you know her better (and I know you're not offensive), and my review stated that the reason I don't think there'll be any development is down to their characteristics, as she's a strong minded woman who doesn't get into relationships, and Tony's a womaniser who also doesn't get in lasting relationships, though with them both being on the same team things may get interesting, and we may see changes to this, but I doubt it. I also feel that that was meant to be the charm to it, as it goes from her telling him he'd need to do better to persuade her, to them finished with Tony looking bewildered showing that he obviously could do better, and didn't know what he was getting, but I do understand your point.

Posted by broo1232

@johnkmccubbin91: wow you do understand them really well nicely done :) but I feel like Bendis is handling her bad Gamora is the most dangerous woman in the galaxy and (adopted) daughter of Thanos you'd think she wouldn't sleep with someone like in this issue, and I still think she was defeated to easily in the fight, and well in earlier parts of the series (especially in the infinite comics) Bendis understood the characters really well Gamora was a formidable fighter, Drax the killer that he is and in this issue the characterization was just off.

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@broo1232: Yeah but Thanos was a bit of a womaniser, so maybe Gamora's the same with men. I also felt this, but didn't pick it up first time round or whilst reviewing (my naivety). I do however think that this was meant to be more of an off guard thing, but still agree with your point. I'm not as familiar with Drax so can't judge.

Posted by broo1232

@johnkmccubbin91: I know what you mean, but when he addopted Gamora (I think) Thanos was in total love with Death, and I think she was only trained as a fighter by him. Everyone makes mistakes I do that sometimes. she was caught off guard at first, but when the bounty hunter has a gun to her head she just sits there. The infinite comic gives a accurate view of Drax.

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@broo1232: Yeah fair point them, although this may be an other side not seen, although I can see how it's annoying to some, I'm just more open minded (helps that I don't know the character as well as others though). Yeah, and I found it stupid how she used the gun, as she should have known it was coded to him. That was a great comic.

Posted by broo1232

@johnkmccubbin91: I doubt it would be a second side although its possible its just Gamora has always been portrayed as a tough person who would go down fighting and not just sit there and take it. The mistake was stupid.

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@broo1232: Again sorry for late reply. You're probably right, but this didn't bother me too much though as I said I'm learning as I go along so I'm not as familiar with her character.

Posted by broo1232

@johnkmccubbin91: I know your learning, but just a warning that this isn't the best representation of her.

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@broo1232: Fair enough, and thanks for the warning. I hope to get the Dan Abnett stuff sometime soon anyway so should see then (just a bit dear at the moment).

Edited by broo1232
Edited by johnkmccubbin91

@broo1232: Yeah I think it's due to it being out of print, that usually put the prices up sky high (first volumes at about £30-50).

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@broo1232: So do I as I've heard so much good things about them and would love to read them, but not at that price.

Posted by flazam

Another Great Review

Posted by Cyclops4President

I love the cover, OH Face OH face!