Follow

Greg Rucka

Person » Greg Rucka is credited in 1018 issues.

Gregory Rucka (born November 29, 1969) is an American writer of novels and comic books.

Whiteout Volume One REVIEWED (In Time For The Movie)

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

As you're probably aware, Warner Bros. is releasing a movie based on Greg Rucka's Whiteout starring Kate Beckinsale and Gabriel Macht.  The comic first came out in 1998 and was published through Oni Press.  It's basically flown under the radar until it was announced that a movie would be made.  I did read this comic some time ago and have been meaning to review it.  Now that the movie is about to be released, here's the review:

I think the reasons this book has gone unnoticed are it was published in 1998, it didn't feature superheroes, it was in black and white and was published by a smaller publisher.  Both Greg Rucka and Steve Lieber have both been making names for themselves.  If you're a fan of either, you owe it to yourself to check it out.  As I mentioned, it's not a traditional comic, meaning it's more about the story rather than flashy scenes and spandex.  

It should be interesting to see how closely the movie compares to the comic.  Part of me almost thinks it might make a better movie.  Seeing the actors in the snowy environment might be better conveyed on the big screen versus on paper.  I hate to say that but it's just a little harder to fully grasp how cold and snowy it is.  So run out and pick up this book so you can brag (and maybe lie) to your friends that knew about this before they made the movie.
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#1  Edited By FoxxFireArt

For a second I couldn't figure out why you were covering the camera.  Moment later my synapses finally started firing and I remembered the name of the series. lol

Murder mystery, Kate Beckinsale, good story. It's all got my attention
     I didn't even realize this was a comic series until I heard about the movie. Now the comic has got my attention. As an avid reader of Japanese manga. The black and white doesn't bother me at all. It's also fitting for a story called "WHITEout".

Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Agent Buttons

wow the art looks amazing. good review Gman
    Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Grendel

The trailer looks like they taken quite a few liberties.

deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

Genius review! 
    I picked this up over the weekend and read it over a couple of days. Good mystery. Can't wait to see the movie. After reading the book, Kate Beckinsale is an interesting choice...

mrlogical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By mrlogical

I really loved this book, I definitely recommend it.  Too bad it sounds like the movie is no good.  At least it can't possibly be the worst comicbook adaptation that Gabriel Macht has starred in.

crazed_h3ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By crazed_h3ro

looks like the movie is accurate to the comic (like 30 days of night, loved that mvie).
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#7  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @FoxxFireArt said:
    " For a second I couldn't figure out why you were covering the camera.  Moment later my synapses finally started firing and I remembered the name of the series. lol
     "
    You mean my 'special fx' weren't any good?
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Media_Master

It will be interesting to compare the graphic novel to the movie

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9  Edited By FoxxFireArt
    @G-Man said:
    " @FoxxFireArt said:
    " For a second I couldn't figure out why you were covering the camera.  Moment later my synapses finally started firing and I remembered the name of the series. lol
     "
    You mean my 'special fx' weren't any good? "
    No offense intended in the least. I like it. I was more just ashamed of myself for not realizing what you were getting at sooner. I really enjoy the humor you bring your reviews. I admire the commitment you put into the Deadpool #13 review by wearing the pirate hat. Though, if you had worn a Jughead crown for the Archie #600 review. That would of been 'kingly'. (I apologize for the bad pun.)

If I could be critical about anything. The review videos could use some nice graphic openers. As opposed to the simple, colored text used here for the introduction. A great website, such as this, deserves nice graphics. I do freelance graphic design for websites. You probably already have someone to do that. If you are ever looking to have something made. Fell free to contact me. I do really like the song for the Trade Paperback Reviews.
    I've actually been thinking of drawing a picture of the ComicVine Cast as thanks, when I got some free time. This site has been of some real help to me when working on some commissions, and someone requests a picture of a character I'm unfamiliar with.
    Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aronmorales

Whiteout was a comic?

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By NightFang3

Nice review and I hope they make another Whiteout movie.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.