Follow

Greg Pak

Person » Greg Pak is credited in 1147 issues.

A prominent writer for Marvel, Valiant and DC Comics, Greg Pak is especially known for his extended work on the Hulk and Hercules as well as his recent work on Action Comics, Batman/Superman, and Storm

Interview: Greg Pak Talks ETERNAL WARRIOR

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Valiant has brought on writer Greg Pak (INCREDIBLE HULK, RED SKULL) to work on their new book ETERNAL WARRIOR, featuring artist Trevor Hairsine. This, in a sense, is a spin-off of ARCHER & ARMSTRONG, that will be its own stand alone title. Writer Greg Pak answered some questions about the book and what readers can expect from the series.

Cover by Clayton Crain
    Cover by Clayton Crain

COMIC VINE:How did you land this opportunity to write this book?

GREG PAK: I got a call from editor Warren Simons, with whom I'd worked years before on the "Magneto Testament" miniseries, which was one of the greatest experiences in my creative career. Don't tell Warren, but I pretty much would have said yes to any gig he was offering. When you have the chance to work with the best, you jump on it.

CV: What was your experience with Valiant and its characters prior to this job?

GP: Full disclosure: I missed most of the Valiant books the first time 'round. That happened to be a time when I wasn't buying that many comics on a monthly basis and the Valiant books slipped through the cracks for me. But I'd been following the relaunch pretty closely because I was interested to see what Warren was up to and because my buddy, the great Fred Van Lente, was writing the brilliant "Archer and Armstrong" relaunch.

CV: You and ARCHER AND ARMSTRONG writer Fred Van Lente have both worked together in the past (INCREDIBLE HERCULES). While you're both working on separate books this time, it's two books closely related to each other. Are you both in communication with each other for these books? If so, what is your process working with him to make sure continuity doesn't get jumbled up?

GP: Fred and I talk all the time -- we're actually working on totally different, special, super-secret project right now that gives us tons of reasons to bug each other on a regular basis. So yes, if I ever have a question about current Valiant continuity he's established, I pick up the phone or shoot him an email. I'm pretty shameless about it, too -- I'll email him about stuff I could just google, just because I know he'll have a nuance or spin that's good for me to hear.

CV: What can you tell us about the story for ETERNAL WARRIOR?

GP: Gilad Anni-Padda is an immortal warrior who's spent the last few millennia following the orders of sorcerers known as Geomancers to protect the interests of that mystic entity known as the Earth. When you're relatively young, fighting for the Earth seems like the greatest life mission you could have. But over the ages, Gilad has fought war after war. He's seen civilizations rise and fall. He's literally killed thousands. And yet nothing really seems to change -- there's always another battle to be fought for reasons he never full understands.

Maybe more importantly, Gilad's just a man like any other. And he's seen everyone he's ever loved grow old and die. Immortality sounds fantastic until you've been at it for a few thousand years. And then it starts to break your heart forever. So as our story begins, Gilad has checked out -- abdicated his role as the Sword of the Earth. But it's never quite so easy to walk away from your mystically ordained destiny -- particularly when you might have a couple of savage immortal children walking the planet waiting for the right moment to throw the world out of balance.

Cover by Patrick Zircher
    Cover by Patrick Zircher

CV:From the preview pages we've seen, Gilad is alone, angry. Is this book going to be a bit more nomadic in style?

GP: We're jumping around in time as we tell this story, so you'll see Gilad at a few different key stages in his life. And while he might want to be left alone as the story begins, the books really an exploration of a number of key relationships in his life -- which I guess is what stories about loners always end up becoming, right? ;-)

CV:On the Archer and Armstrong timeline, where does your book took place?

GP: The first story takes place before Fred's first story arc. We're telling the untold story of where Gilad has been and what brings him to the modern day Valiant Universe.

CV: Which familiar faces will we be seeing in this book?

GP: Gilad Anni-Padda, the Eternal Warrior, natch, and the previous Geomancer, Buck McHenry. And then we're creating a slew of new characters that I'm ridiculously excited about. We're also exploring the mysterious forces behind the scenes of the Valiant Universe. I'll just say the Earth isn't the only strange entity with an interest in the workings of our world.

CV: We haven't seen much of Timewalker yet in the Valiant Universe. What role will he have in this book, if any?

GP: He's Gilad's brother, so he'll most likely show up in the fullness of time. But we're not rushing into it. We have a pretty huge tapestry to work with right now, and Timewalker's such a great, mindbending character that I want to be sure we have a great story for him when we finally use him.

CV:How much of Gilad's past will be explored in this book?

GP: It's looking like we'll explore key moments from Gilad's past in every single issue. When you're dealing with an immortal character, the past is a treasure trove of great stories, and we're finding fun and evocative ways to use the past to illuminate key turning points in Gilad's present day struggle. It's a huge amount of fun, both because of the emotional depth it helps create and because it gives us the chance to explore a huge range of time periods and settings.

Cover by Trevor Hairsine
    Cover by Trevor Hairsine

CV: What's it been like working with Trevor Hairsine, who's uncolored work looked pretty awesome?

GP: Trevor's amazing and I feel hugely lucky to have been paired with him. He's actually just signed an exclusive with Valiant, so I'm kind of cackling over here thinking about the potential for settling in for a long stretch with him. He's just perfect for the gritty heroic adventure tales we're telling. He's brilliant at big, comic book action, but he brings a kind of visceral atmosphere and reality to his characters and environments that's just critical for a character like Gilad.

CV: Valiant's new books have all been very accessible to new readers, but this is a character that's already appeared in numerous issues of ARCHER & ARMSTRONG. Is this a book that's going to be as new reader friendly as the rest of the series at the company?

GP: You bet. I'm pretty new to the Valiant Universe, myself. It's pretty important to me to write a book that anyone can pick up and run with, and I think starting before the current "Archer and Armstrong" stories lets us build our character and world up step by step in a very accessible way. At the same time, we're delving into Gilad's past and future in ways that we're hoping will be pretty darn exciting for long-time Valiant readers. We're shining some light into some dark corners of the universe and what we're uncovering may just challenge everything you thought you knew in the best kind of way. Dontcha dare miss it!

CV: Why should readers pick up ETERNAL WARRIOR?

GP: Heroic adventure. Visceral action. Gorgeous art. Insane worldbuilding critical to the Valiant Universe. And high stakes emotional drama in which a father and a daughter drive each other to the brink with the world itself in the balance.

Thanks to Greg Pak for taking the time to answer these questions! Below, you'll find a preview for the first issue which hits store shelves on September 11th!

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

first....

i did it guys

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Cap10nate

I am very excited for this title as well as Gilad's role in X-O Manowar. Valiant has been great since the relaunch. Harbinger, X-O, Bloodshot, and Shadowman have all found their way to the top of my read pile. I have not jumped into Archer and Armstrong yet but have heard nothing but good things.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Drop that extra Batman/Superman/Wolverine/X-Men/Avengers title and pick up a Valiant title. Just one title. Stick with it for three issues. I guarantee you after that, you won't stop at one title.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

first....

i did it guys

HUZZAH!!!!

Warren Simons truly is one of the best in th business, he's running a tight ship over at Valiant that's putting other publishers to shame, not pointing any fingers (>>>> Marvel >>>>DC). Also Greg Pak is a great writer and I love me some Anni-Padda so I'm super excited for this.

But damn it Valiant where's my NINJAK book??

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 inferiorego  Staff

@inferiorego said:

first....

i did it guys

HUZZAH!!!!

Warren Simons truly is one of the best in th business, he's running a tight ship over at Valiant that's putting other publishers to shame, not pointing any fingers (>>>> Marvel >>>>DC). Also Greg Pak is a great writer and I love me some Anni-Padda so I'm super excited for this.

And TIMEWALKER...

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

@inferiorego said:

first....

i did it guys

HUZZAH!!!!

And TIMEWALKER...

Yea, he's the only one of the brothers we haven't seen :(

Mercules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This. I want this. I'm so excited now! I can't wait! This series looks amazing.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drop that extra Batman/Superman/Wolverine/X-Men/Avengers title and pick up a Valiant title. Just one title. Stick with it for three issues. I guarantee you after that, you won't stop at one title.

That's what I did a few months back. My DC pulls have taken quite a hit (down to 2) to fit my growing number of Valiant titles.

That60sGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By That60sGuy

@inferiorego said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@inferiorego said:

first....

i did it guys

HUZZAH!!!!

And TIMEWALKER...

Timewalker was in a few of the earlier issues of Archer & Armstrong. But yeah I need that Ninjak book yesterday!!

ShadowMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! I can't wait for this book!

I'm not a hater of Marvel or DC, it sounds like they are putting out a lot of really good books right now, but my pull list consists of every Valiant book and will keep growing with every new Valiant book that comes out.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@jonny_anonymous said:

@inferiorego said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@inferiorego said:

first....

i did it guys

HUZZAH!!!!

And TIMEWALKER...

Timewalker was in a few of the earlier issues of Archer & Armstrong. But yeah I need that Ninjak book yesterday!!

Yea I know we seen him before the brothers got there powers but I mean since then

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

Good to know he will jump in different times :)

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

Good to know he will jump in different times :)

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait for the first issue, then I'm sure the 2nd then 3rd, etc. Then I'll have to drop something from my pull (Batwoman, Wonder Woman I love ya but the clock is ticking). Man, Valiant is making my comic book life too stressful.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

The cover by Trevor Hairsine made me look into the character and got me interested. The cover looks cool. I might pick this up.

AbnormalAl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been waiting an eternity for this book. I am eternally grateful to Valiant for making this happen.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

"Heroic adventure. Visceral action. Gorgeous art."

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

valiant just got a little bit more awesome.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

I don't know why but non of the Valiant titles makes me interested in checking them out unlike a new Image book.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Well here comes another title to add to my pull list. Marvel, DC, and Valiant are killing my wallet

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Loved Eternal Warrior back in the day and I know I'll love this. Can't wait!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.