Lantern Rings lose their title as most powerful.

#1 Edited by Dernman (15108 posts) - - Show Bio

I was thinking. Should the Power Rings lose the their title as most powerful weapon in the universe? At one point they really were powerful and could do almost anything but they seem to have been downgraded from the past for a long time now. We now have the Scarabs and other weapons in the DCU that seem pretty powerful in their own right.. 

So should they lose their title? What other weapons seem to rival the power ring?

#2 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe I just haven't read enough GL, but I've never really seen the true potential of a Lantern Ring. What makes it the most powerful weapon in the universe?

#3 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

If you count a white lantern ring as "a lantern ring" then I'd say yeah it's still the most powerful.

#4 Posted by Lvenger (20008 posts) - - Show Bio

The Green Lantern ring shouldn't be labelled as the most powerful weapon in the universe anymore but I don't see why the White Lantern ring shouldn't be considered the most powerful weapon in the universe. Though Swamp Thing doesn't seem to be using it in the New 52.

#5 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

Power rings have lost much of their potency, but I still don't see any other non-unique weapon out there that can match them. Sure scarabs are powerful, but scarabs were made specifically as an answer to GL rings so I don't think that counts.

@Gambit1024 said:

Maybe I just haven't read enough GL, but I've never really seen the true potential of a Lantern Ring. What makes it the most powerful weapon in the universe?

Originally, the ring could do anything you could imagine. Like, need to cure yourself from a lethal illness? No prob. Need to slow down time in a certain area? Just tell the ring. Need to teleport to the other side of the universe? Already there. Need to rewrite your genetic code and turn yourself into something else? Piece of cake. Literally the only limits were you willpower and imagination.

This has been toned down considerably since Johns took over. Now they can just create any construct you can think of and the amount of power they have (Like, how big you can make something) has been scaled down considerably, but they're still very goddamn powerful.

#6 Posted by TDK_1997 (14896 posts) - - Show Bio

It still should be called the most powerful weapon because it can do anything you can imagine.

#7 Posted by Walker696 (984 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still kind of lost on the radiation thing, can they or can't they copy different types of radiation?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.