Who is the "First Lantern?" Clues from the Past

supermanprime6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

Edited By supermanprime6

This week, the existence of the "First Lantern" was confirmed in Green Lantern Annual #1. However, his identity still remains a mystery. Who is this enigmatic character? Do the events of Blackest Night answer that question?

If you are a Green Lantern fan, pretty much all you have been talking about is Baz, the Third Army, and the First Lantern. Thanks to previews and this week's annual, we know that Baz is an Arab-American that the ring belonging to Sinestro/Hal will choose as a replacement, and we have seen how the Third Army is raised. So only the First Lantern remains shrouded in mystery. However, if you look back to the pre-DCnU event "Blackest Night," the race of the First Lantern may have already been revealed.

While many of DC's characters were truly rebooted by Flashpoint and the New 52, the Green Lantern mythos remained completely intact. So, all previous continuity pertaining to the Corps is still relevant. Back in Blackest Night #7, one of the Guardians' greatest secrets was revealed; Earth was the true center of the universe, the planet on which life began, and home to the Entity (the being that created all life). However, humans were kept out of the Corps until Abin Sur purposefully crash-landed on earth to allow for their induction to the Corps. But, what if Hal Jordan wasn't the first human to be a lantern? What if the "First Lantern" was/is a human being?

Knowing that earth is the center of the universe, home to the Entity, and the planet on which life began, it would make perfect sense for the Guardians to have chosen a being from that planet to herald their Green Lantern Corps. And a quote from an interview at DCComics.com with Geoff Johns helps to support my claim. Johns said, "The being inside has been imprisoned there for a long, long time. The Guardians consider him their greatest threat, but also their greatest source of power." By definition, their source of power is emotion, specifically will power. And who have the Guardians always feared for their impulsivity and great capacity for emotion? HUMANS. But it is that ability to feel such emotion that makes humans such great lanterns, a fact the Guardians knew and one that may have influenced their choice for the First Lantern.

Only time will tell, but the past has shown us enough that the First Lantern being a human isn't much of a stretch.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By danhimself

I don't see how it could possibly be anyone we know due to the time frame....though it wouldn't surprise me if they retcon Abin Sur's death and we find out that it's him somehow...it would explain why he wasn't a Black Lantern during Blackest Night

supermanprime6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2  Edited By supermanprime6

Oh I don't think it's anyone we know, but I do think the First Lantern will turn out to be a human.

Moccles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Moccles

@danhimself said:

I don't see how it could possibly be anyone we know due to the time frame....though it wouldn't surprise me if they retcon Abin Sur's death and we find out that it's him somehow...it would explain why he wasn't a Black Lantern during Blackest Night

I have a feeling it might be Abin Sur too.

I have no evidence but let's call it a hunch.

mzultan17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mzultan17

@Nantucket said:

@danhimself said:

I have a feeling it might be Abin Sur too.

I have no evidence but let's call it a hunch.

I agree if it was someone we haven't seen before why make it such a big mystery.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By SmashBrawler

@danhimself said:

Abin Sur was a Black Lantern

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.