Interview: Robert Venditti Talks GREEN LANTERN

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

GREEN LANTERN: Uprising has come to an end, but everything certainly isn't back to normal for the Green Lantern Corps. Writer Robert Venditti has a lot on the horizon for this book, including Green Lantern: Godhead, which you can check out our video interview with Robert and Van Jensen from SDCC here. Writer Robert Venditti also talked to us about the series in general and his experience writing the series.

Cover to issue #34
    Cover to issue #34

COMIC VINE: Hal Jordan has gone through a lot of changes, not just during your run, but during this arc so far. He's lost confidence in himself. Is this something that's going to have long-term affects on him and his ability to use the ring?

ROBERT VENDITTI: He made some mistakes when he took over as leader of the Green Lantern Corps, and he did lose a little bit of his confidence. But he adapted, and he grew as a character. He went from being a guy who charges headlong into battle, fist held forward and running on instinct, to defeating the Durlans by crafting a complex strategy involving ground troops, a surprise ambush, and artillery from space. Like everyone, though, Hal is going to learn it isn’t easy to change and still retain the core traits that make you who you are.

CV: Was there certain films or books that inspired things within this story line?

RV: More than that, the story grew out of who the Durlans are as a culture of shape-shifters. We really tried to focus on how their breed of warfare would be different from other adversaries the Green Lantern Corps has faced. They’re an enemy that piles deception on top of deception, which provides a unique set of challenges for a character like Hal.

CV: What is it about writing cosmic books that you like so much?

RV: Growing up in Florida, where NASA was a local phenomenon, I’ve always been fascinated with space. I also enjoy the world-building inherent in cosmic stories. All fiction writing involves world-building to some extent, but cosmic books demand a lot of it. New worlds, new cultures, new technologies. It forces you to think outside the box.

CV: Are we going to see any more Simon Baz?

RV: Definitely. Simon shows up in Green Lantern #34, and there are plans for him beyond that. Not just in the Green Lantern books, but in the wider DCU. He has a significant role to play.

CV: When it comes down to it, is there anything Hal and the Green Lanterns can do to undo the mess the Durlans created?

RV: The Durlans have tarnished the reputation of the Green Lantern Corps throughout the universe, partly through their deceptive ways, and partly by shining a light on mistakes that the Corps made all on their own. The only way for the Corps to reclaim their standing as a force for good in the universe is to win back the hearts and minds, one world at a time. The climax of “Uprising” and the Corps’ last stand on Zezzen, homeworld of Lantern Gorin-Sunn, is the first of many steps in that campaign.

Issue #35, on sale in October
    Issue #35, on sale in October

CV: Who are your favorite Lantern villains and what attracts you to them?

RV: Sinestro, of course, because what’s not to like about a villain as pompous and driven as Sinestro? I also like Krona because he refuses to go away. Another favorite, believe it or not, is Sonar, the man with the tuning-fork gun. I have some ideas about how to reimagine his character, while still keeping his original motivations in tact. Maybe someday . . .

CV: What can you tell us about the Shadow Empire?

RV: You'll be seeing more of them in Green Lantern Corps. Beyond that, you'll have to ask Van!

CV: Are there still other Durlans walking around as Corps members, like Fatality?

RV: At the end of "Uprising," the Green Lantern Corps handed the Durlan empire a decisive defeat. So the Durlan threat has been quashed. For now . . .

CV: Any hints about the future of GREEN LANTERN?

RV: “Uprising” in many ways represents the culmination of the first long-form story since I started writing the series. During that time, we’ve seen Hal grow from an inexperienced leader to a field general. The adversary he’s going to face in the latter half of this year, though, is going to test him like no other. It’s quite possibly the greatest challenge the Green Lantern Corps has ever faced. And that’s saying something.

Thanks to Robert Venditti for talking Lanterns with us and make sure to check out his current run on GREEN LANTERN!

BrotherEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 51

Hmmm... I think I could dig the new creative team tackling Krona. I love the stuff Johns did but he made Krona too relatable when he should have remained an arrogant hyper advanced renegade alien scientist. Not all bad guys have to have a sympathetic backstory.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2 the_stegman  Moderator

Bought time they did something with Simon Baz.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Can't wait to see Hal Jordan vs Orion, if it happens.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Nice to know DC didn't forget about Baz.

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried to read this but I didn't like the whole angle where using the Lantern rings is destroying the universe. I just want the Green Lanterns to be heroes, now they seem to be saddled with so much baggage, I can't get into it.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Cant wait to see the war with the New Gods.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I tried to read this but I didn't like the whole angle where using the Lantern rings is destroying the universe. I just want the Green Lanterns to be heroes, now they seem to be saddled with so much baggage, I can't get into it.

Thats exactly what Venditti wants to do. He wants to raise the questions of, "Are they really being heroes." You can see that throughout his run so far, and you can see it in his X-O Manowar run. I think it makes for a more interesting read.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think them being forced to realize the drawbacks of their powers and rationally use them makes them more compelling heroes IMO.

Avatar image for comicvine_is_jericho529
    comicvine_is_jericho529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Venditti > Johns

and this is coming from someone who loved Geoff Johns run.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metron? Will this be his first new 52 appearance?

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I really wish DC would make Baz a Yellow Lantern (who still fights with the Greens) that would make him more interesting. In any case though I have been loving Venditti take on the book, his writing isn't as good when he has to focus on a crossover, but other then that he does a good job writing Hal and his team. I'm really looking forward to this New Gods crossover.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By TheCheeseStabber

Yet no mention of B'ox :'[

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for comicvine_is_jericho529
    comicvine_is_jericho529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mysoulz: I've met johns personally for a signing 3 years back and he acted like the biggest douche ever to me and my brother over a question about Alan Moore. I won't get into it. to long to type,

As far as storytelling i think they are both great but Im biased because of the treatment Johns showed me and my bro at his signing in universal City in LA

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah: That's totally cool, I'm just not into it.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicvine_is_jericho529: Thank you very much for your explanation. I didn't know Johns was like that. There's other people I noticed as well put Venditti over Johns. You're not the only one.

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I fell for venditti during x-o manowar. I'm hoping he gets a chance to focus on his own thing and we don't just keep getting crossover after crossover.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

andrewwann7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really love what they're doing with GL, loved the Johns run and glad to see it is still in good hands

JuliusTakalua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm definitely gonna read this but I hope to god that they do some justice to the New Gods. The so-called GODS of teh MULTIVERSE.

And Orion should be less of a pig this time around!

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm definitely gonna read this but I hope to god that they do some justice to the New Gods. The so-called GODS of teh MULTIVERSE.

And Orion should be less of a pig this time around!

have you not read the solicitations? The new gods are going to stomp all the corps's

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.