gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

The Green Lantern Corps has been through quite a bit lately. Things may have calmed down a little but the Corps still need to deal with the fact that a good portion of the universe doesn't want anything to do with them. Their name has been tarnished despite the number of times they've saved everyone. It's hard enough fighting the evil out there while having to fight against those fear or resist them.

To help deal with all this, Hal Jordan has decided to turn on the Corps. Hal is one of the greatest Lanterns there has been but he has gone against their ways many times as well. Hal in a brutal fight against Kilowog isn't something you want to see. It is like the end of an era in some ways. At the same time, it seems the Guardians are about to put a plan into motion. With this being the final issue for two months when Convergence takes over, you get a sense there is something big coming. You'll want to read over every word they say carefully.

Billy Tan's art is welcomed during the fight scenes. With Tony Avina's colors, there's a great vibe going on. Hal and Kilowog's scene shines. We've seen Lantern fight Lantern before but it plays out nicely here. With the item Hal acquired, it makes you wonder what's coming up and how this fits into what we've seen in JUSTICE LEAGUE.

The Bad

It almost feels too calm for all the Lanterns. It's understandable that they can't and shouldn't be dealing with one huge catastrophes after another. With the number of members, it's likely some would be off planet dealing with what they can. Seeing them sitting around in the mess hall felt a little odd. The issue also felt as if it went by quickly. We basically got a fight between Hal and Kilowog with a tiny peek at what the Guardians may be up to. For a final issue for two months, it's going to be a long wait.

The way things ended for Hal are a little hard to take. We've seen Hal at odds with the Corps before. Obviously this is a case of needing to see the bigger picture before we can make an accurate judgement as for where he's headed.

The Verdict

Is this the end for Hal as a Green Lantern? We've seen him go off in his own direction before and there's no telling what might happen after this. The Green Lantern Corps has been dealing with problems about the way they're perceived by the outside universe. Hal has his some ideas and we're seeing the Guardians have one of their own as well. We may not know what's next for Hal Jordan after Convergence but at least we know Robert Venditti and Billy Tan will return. We get a good sense of an "end of an era" here and that will leave you hanging until June comes along.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Captain13

This issue was really awesome. This sacrifice is one of the biggest character moments we've ever seen from Hal. What's better is that Hal is doing what he's best at: being a renegade. I can't wait to see where the rest of the GL Universe goes from here, especially as the number of humans in the GLC continues to thin out.

4.5/5.

--

I guess this means Justice League is officially set in the past since it seems to take place between Green Lantern #38 and Green Lantern #40.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Awesome direction they decided to take.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I guess this means Justice League is officially set in the past.

I see this more as what DC meant when they said continuity wont be important. Story over continuity.

hugebone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hugebone

Is he going to go walk across America? '92 style? I mean, I'm curious where the story will go. But for now, I just think we saw that already...

Also, did he just kill Kilowog? or are they just trying to make us think that? Cause if he did, i'm not down with that...

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hugebone said:

Is he going to go walk across America? '92 style? I mean, I'm curious where the story will go. But for now, I just think we saw that already...

Also, did he just kill Kilowog? or are they just trying to make us think that? Cause if he did, i'm not down with that...

No, Kilowog is alive.

hugebone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This run reminds me so much of the 90's. Now that I start thinking about it, i guess that's just how the Green Lantern book works.

• Either the Corps is destroyed or Hal leaves or both.
    • Hal returns to the Corps.
    • Hal has to rebuild the Corps.
    • Repeat.
    Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Really wanted to pick this up, but my store was out

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked up this issue on a whim and man it is pretty rad.Thinking about getting this comic in Trade form!

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just read it, not a big fan of the issue or this decision. We've seen Hal suffer enough, isn't it about time for him to go from tragedy to triumph?

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I guess this means Justice League is officially set in the past since it seems to take place between Green Lantern #39 and Green Lantern #40.

Or, Green Lantern is set in the future.

Or, Justice League takes place in the future after Hal gets his ring back.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I wonder how this will turn out after Convergence.. guess Hal will get a new power source.

Avatar image for carlomaldonado10
    carlomaldonado10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really dug this issue and it makes me mad that the writer waited this long to tell a good Hal Jordan. Maybe with there being only three lanterns books robert can move away from the other titles and do his own thing. Kind of like Hal doing..

Avatar image for comicvine_is_jericho529
    comicvine_is_jericho529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this was actually one of the better issues of Green Lantern in a LONG time.

Kilowog totally made this issue

alot of people give venditti crap, but he sure does know how to write these characters. and make them all feel different and true to how they have been developed prior to his run, however his dvelopment of the chracters is what lacks
    btu in this issue he does just that.
    he highlights the relationship and friendship he and kilowog have and the fight and writting were done really well.

I only wish we didnt hae to have a dumb event in the way these next 2 months so we could see hwo Hal's other close friends react to this.
    I really want them to make John Stewart leader fo the green lanterns. he makes way better decisions and is the ideal leader
    also i want Guy back in the corps. at least as an earth correspondent.
    we'll see what happens with them in the coming weeks

however i give this issue a 4.5/5. very solid issue a great way for venditti to go out before the 2 month break

i hope he continues with this much effort when he returns on the run

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hugebone said:

No, Kilowog is alive.

How do you know that? It seemed to imply otherwise. I thought Venditti was trying to make Kilowog have as big a sacrifice as Hal, and it kinda undermines that if Kilowog didn't really die.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JakeN7

@captain13 said:

I guess this means Justice League is officially set in the past since it seems to take place between Green Lantern #39 and Green Lantern #40.

What? It was Justice League #39 that showed Hal being back. That means its timeline is technically at least an issue ahead of Green Lantern.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Captain13

@jaken7 said:

@captain13 said:

I guess this means Justice League is officially set in the past since it seems to take place between Green Lantern #38 and Green Lantern #40.

What? It was Justice League #39 that showed Hal being back. That means its timeline is technically at least an issue ahead of Green Lantern.

Hal visits earth in Green Lantern 38, which is why he's in Justice League.

@jaken7 said:

@captain13 said:

@hugebone said:

No, Kilowog is alive.

How do you know that? It seemed to imply otherwise. I thought Venditti was trying to make Kilowog have as big a sacrifice as Hal, and it kinda undermines that if Kilowog didn't really die.

Kilowog knew what was going to happen so he jobbed to make Hal's story more plausible.

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't like the new direction Hal is taking. But the scene at the end with the Guardians gives me hope that this problem will be rectified.

This series really hasn't been doing much between the end of Godhead and Convergence, but at least it's not as bad as the issues of Red Lanterns during these same three months. Talk about pointless!

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

@captain13 said:

I guess this means Justice League is officially set in the past.

I see this more as what DC meant when they said continuity wont be important. Story over continuity.

I don't think that's the case

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Excellent issue! Kilowog isn't dead. His ring is still on his finger. If he were dead it would have left his finger in search of his replacement.

nateb1211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting issue, but a felt a little lack luster and seemed short and rushed in a way. Still liked it though. Can't wait to see how Hal and the Guardians are going to be working on the Corps new direction.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.