Green Lantern #28

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Note: This review will mainly focus on GREEN LANTERN #28. Of course the fact that you get two comics for the price of one is a huge plus.

The Good

Things are a mess for the Green Lanterns. With pretty much the entire universe hating them, the threat of using their powers damaging the Emotional Spectrum and the recent attack against them, it's a hard time to be a member of the Corps. To make things wore for them, a couple Lanterns discover the arrival of a new Red Lantern. Supergirl has somehow become a Red Lantern (we'll find out how and why in the upcoming SUPERGIRL #28). This just adds to the problems the Lanterns are already dealing with.

Robert Venditti is moving the story and characters forward while continuing to keep a cohesive nature to the Green Lantern universe as this story fittingly crosses over with the Red Lanterns' title. We get a great cliffhanger and we don't even have to wait to read the next part. All we have to do is flip the comic over to read RED LANTERNS #28.

Billy Tan gets to take the action all over the place. Seeing the action with Supergirl in space and what's going on down on Mogo's surface, there's plenty to see.

The Bad

I'm still not used to Hal Jordan's look. There's something about the shape of his head and hair along with his mask that just looks off to me whenever I see him. Everything else is fine.

Not knowing why Supergirl is now a Red Lantern could be seen as a mystery to see unfold. It partially feels like she was just thrusted upon us since we'll have to wait a couple weeks to read SUPERGIRL #28.

There's a tiny bit of confusion which comic to read first. The first page of RED LANTERNS makes it clear but it's on the second page of the GREEN LANTERN part.

The Verdict

Two comics for the price of one. The idea of Supergirl as a Red Lantern is a strange one. It is unexpected and will be interesting to see explored. The Green Lanterns are dealing with a lot and this just adds to the chaos they already have to face. We'll have to wait for some answers about Supergirl but at least we get to follow this story immediately in the pages of RED LANTERN, on the other side of this issue.

I debated whether the added value of essentially getting a 'free' comic for the price of one should impact the individual ratings but decided to rate each separately.

Paul2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Paul2814

GL is so bad since #21, for obvious reasons, Lights Out weren't bad. Would it be wrong to drop your favourite character as it's just not fun anymore?

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By EnigmaLantern

Asked my LCS to put one of these aside for me to pick up soon, it looks good and the whole Red Lantern Kryptonian is interesting to say the least, I'm looking forward to it. I mainly got this to follow the Red Lanterns, heard their series to be improving.

Hope Supergirl #28 isn't a necessary issue to understand the story line in the Red Lantern series.

@g_man will you be reviewing Red Lantern #28 individually as well?

And as a side note, it is nice to see DC not over-pricing on EVERYTHING.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I am glad DC took such a risk and made this flipbook. It shows that they have some trust in their writers.

@paul2814 said:

GL is so bad since #21, for obvious reasons, Lights Out weren't bad. Would it be wrong to drop your favourite character as it's just not fun anymore?

No it would be the right thing to do. If you don't enjoy it drop it, it's the only way to make DC/Marvel to notice that something is wrong.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: you THE man. See what I did there..

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Heh..at least DC has some 2.99 titles.
    Marvel is ending series to reboot them as 3.99 titles AND without any extra content.

CantDance93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paul2814: i'm honestly in the same position, Hal's my favourite charter, and ever since #21 it's been pretty bad. I stopped getting it after 27, but it got lucky being a flip issue with Red Lanterns, funny because that was a horrible series, now ever since 21 it's my favourite ...weird.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paul2814: Oh really? I'm sorry to hear that! I dropped Green Lantern because I was getting really bored, and came back for #20, and have loved it since. I read and really enjoyed all of Geoff Johns' run, but never really found his Hal too interesting. This is my favorite Hal's been written since the 90's. Hopefully, there's a good story for you down the road!

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed seeing Kara beat the hell out of some random green lanterns. But other than that most of the Green Lantern issue felt a little flat it will be my last monthly issue for Green Lantern as I switch to trade.

But seeing Kara all chained up in the Green Lantern construct and wearing a Red Lantern uniform was a pretty powerful imagine and also good to see Hal not being a colossal douche and doing his best to help her was a nice change.

Anabyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paul2814: Oh really? I'm sorry to hear that! I dropped Green Lantern because I was getting really bored, and came back for #20, and have loved it since. I read and really enjoyed all of Geoff Johns' run, but never really found his Hal too interesting. This is my favorite Hal's been written since the 90's. Hopefully, there's a good story for you down the road!

Is it just me or do people bitch for everything I'm liking the series so far when Johns wrote it people complain now when Venditti writes it people complain WTF?

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enigmalantern said:

Heh..at least DC has some 2.99 titles.

Marvel is ending series to reboot them as 3.99 titles AND without any extra content.

Marvel makes it harder and harder to stick to their titles in terms of pricing, but their Thor GoT title has been immense and one of the few titles where I don't mind paying 3.99. If the title warrants the price by the quality of the art and writing as well as the content then I'm fine with it.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think after reading 7 issues of Venditti's GL saga, I can finally drop it. After nearly 15 years of reading Green Lantern, I no longer find enjoyment in the direction he has taken this book. I love his work on X-O Manowar, but the whole reservoir thing has killed it for me, it's all they talk about now in the book. Maybe I'll trade wait but for now I'm sticking to Red Lanterns and possibly White Lantern, since Kyle is my favorite GL.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@anabyss said:

@baneofdemon22 said:g

Is it just me or do people bitch for everything I'm liking the series so far when Johns wrote it people complain now when Venditti writes it people complain WTF?

people have different opinions therefore there will always be someone complaining.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, might start reading Supergirl, since she's finally toughened up

Avatar image for FeedOnATreeFrog
    feedonatreefrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Lantern Supergirl is frighteningly awesome.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

This flip-book was not only the best value comic this week, but the best I've read of my stack thus far.

Venditti's work is solid as ever. And Red's has that X-factor working for it. It seems like a book that shouldn't work but it just does.

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be behind the New52, or any reboot like this if they actually really reinvented their characters by having say Krypton not blow up, NO Superman, & actually have Kal-El be the GL of his sector. Then if he failed to prevent something that kills Zor-El or something, & so Kara goes Red, I'd actually be impressed.

But this'll probly be Kara goes red because she lost her virginity to H'El & he never called her the next day, & she ends up in the Star-Saphire corp by july.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mak13131313

Good review G-man. I thought the same thing when Kara just shows and she's already a Red Lantern. Now we have to wait 2 weeks to find out how she became one. And I'm enjoying Venditti's run on this book.

admwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I couldn't make it far into this issue. The GL books collectively have collapsed into a steaming pile of "so what" for me. And how about Red Lantern Super girl collapsing from "exhaustion." Come on.

KASPERCOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Overall, I liked the story. I don't have issues with Venditti's version of Hal or how this writer is exploring the politics of using and abusing great power at the expense of sustaining life for future generations. My problem with the continuing reservoir theme is how flawed their premise is. Why would they base all of their assumptions of their power rings' "universe" effects solely on what Relic told them? By now, someone in the Corps should've determined the validity of Relic's accusation through hard scientific evidence. Even if some of what Relic says is true in his universe, what if lantern energy in the Corps' universe doesn't work the same way?

MonkeyToe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

What I don't understand is why would you publish 2 stories in the Red Daughter storyline before the Supergirl issue comes out explaining how she got the red ring? Its a really distracting issue that comes in the middle of a seriously trying time for the Corps, yet they still have the time to deal with it? Feels like poor decision making to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.