Follow

Green Lantern

Movie » Green Lantern released on June 17, 2011.

A live-action adaptation of Hal Jordan's origin story. Following the death of the Green Lantern's greatest member, Abin Sur, Hal Jordan is chosen to bare the famous ring and protect sector 2814, but will he continue with the great responsibility Abin Sur has given him or will he decline?

Green Lantern: How would you have done it?

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Gambit1024

After watching Green Lantern, what would you have done to make the movie better?

I personally would've ditched Hector Hammond altogether, build more of a teacher/student relationship with Sinestro and Hal, have Abin Sur's fight with Attrocitus, had the majority take place on Oa and in space, and focused more on Hal's father's death and its impact on him. 
    StarKiller809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By StarKiller809

Yeah. I really think that would have made the movie a lot better. It would deffinitly make for an emotinal 2nd film.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Deranged Midget

Completely taken Parallax out of the film and anything that had to do with the fear spectrum. Would've saved it for a sequel and perhaps mentioned it at the end of the film.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Eyz
    @Gambit1024 said:
    " After watching Green Lantern, what would you have done to make the movie better?

I personally would've ditched Hector Hammond altogether, build more of a teacher/student relationship with Sinestro and Hal, have Abin Sur's fight with Attrocitus, had the majority take place on Oa and in space, and focused more on Hal's father's death and its impact on him. 
    "
    You know what? Atrocitus would have made a better villain for the movie and not feel that disconnected from the GL/Abin Sur/GLCorps discovery plotline, keep the movie on space, and join the whole Sinestro subplot/future corps...unlike Hammond that seemed forced.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gambit1024
    @Deranged Midget said:

Completely taken Parallax out of the film and anything that had to do with the fear spectrum. Would've saved it for a sequel and perhaps mentioned it at the end of the film.

Would you have kept Hammond? Cause I think Paralax would've worked for a first movie, Sinestro Coprs War for the sequel, and a REALLY dumbed down Blackest Night for a third to end a trilogy
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Gambit1024: No... I would've made Blackest Night it's own spin-off because there is no way you can fit that into a 2 hour movie. 1st movie would've focused on Hal and the corps and fought Manhunters maybe idk. Second film would be Sinestro becoming a Yellow lantern and rebelling against the guardians. The third film would be Hal being possessed by Parallax and destroying the GL corps. Also introduce Kyle and John somewhere in-between.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By cattlebattle

definitely would have explored the Hal Sinestro relationship

It's one of the greatest rivalries in DC

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gambit1024
    @Deranged Midget: Ooh a spin-off film would be cool. Can you elaborate on that? :)
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Gambit1024: Sure. I've been having thoughts about it. It would make an excellent animated film because personally I thought First Flight was amazing. But it would work well in movie format as well. As much as people were opposed to it, I thought Reynolds did a really good job as Hal. he played the sarcastic douche at the start of the movie and you didn't like him that much but then he earned his colours. Same thing happened with Thor.

But back to the topic at hand. After establishing the story and characters through the trilogy and perhaps inserting Rebirth somehow. The new spin-off would introduce the emotional spectrum and their main characters and go from there. It would be awesome to throw in Barry in there, Martian Manhunter, and all the Black Lanterns but some things would have to be cut.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By joshmightbe

If it had been me doing it we wouldn't have seen Earth until the sequel after Hal got the ring, Parallax may have been mentioned but only as an approaching threat the Sinestro would be just as big a part of it as Hal maybe have Sinestro take him on a training mission that gets out of hand maybe have some Man hunters show up but the important thing would be to show how much Sinestro means to the Corps and Hal but at the same time drop hints that he has a dark side and then in the sequel have him turn completely when the corps reprimands him for something then have Parallax actually show up and give him a yellow power ring and end the movie with a fight between Hal and Sinestro which Hal loses but still stops whatever plot Sinestro and Parallax had going on and in the third movie we have the war with the Sinestro corps  

armylife1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By armylife1124

As someone who knows very little about the actual Green Lantern comic, aside from what I learned from Justice League cartoon, and the two animated Lanterns(oh and here on comic vine).

I would have made two changes;
    1)  Give a better back story to show the relationship between Hal/Carol/Hector, and possibly their parents(seemed like they have been connected).  Possibly give Carol's role to someone older that would have a little more presence.
    2)I would have kept Hal on Oa much, much longer.  Do the generic training montage of Hal getting better of weeks or months of practice, not minutes like the movie.  This would give the oppurtunity to have more screen time to Sinestro as well as Killowag and Tomar Re.  Then I would have Hal accompany Sinestro on some type of mission where you really see some of the dark characteristics of Sinestro's.  Hal would try to tell him he is being to harsh, the two would argue and Hal could then quit and take off to earth.  Then the movie could fall in line with the rest of the movie.  Paralax was ok if I could have believed that Hal could pull it off, which I could say maybe if he at least had some training and showed some signs of being great.

Focusing more on Oa would allow Hector to not have as much screen time, and in turn make his portrayal a little easier to take.  Then this would set this movie up even better for a sequel featuring the Sinestro War.  Adding the things I listed would not add a horrible amount to the movie because you could cut out half of the Hector Hammond scenes(like his classroom, and some of the stuff between his dad and him.   There are several other scenes that were basically not needed that could have been cut.

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xybernauts
    @Gambit1024 said:
    I personally would've ditched Hector Hammond altogether,build more of a teacher/student relationship with Sinestro and Hal, have Abin Sur's fight with Attrocitus, had the majority take place on Oa and in space, and focused more on Hal's father's death and its impact on him. 
    Totally agree. I think Sinestro could have done for this movie what Magneto did for X-Men First Class. I found him so interesting. They also really needed to improve the soundtrack of this movie. The soundtrack really could have done alot to carry the movie. Also I would have phased out the comedy. It really threw off the movie and felt out of place.  Truthfully, I would have made the movie more about all the human Lanterns, not just Hal. Like Superman instead of condensing everything to one period of time at the exact beginning of Hal's career as a Lantern,  I would have jumped to different periods of time spanning from Hal's youth to a time when all the human Lanterns could have been included.   

I would have phased out most of Hal's relationships with family and friends and focused on his relationship with other human Lanterns like Guy Gardner, John Stewart, and Kyle Ranyer. So begin with Hal losing his father. Not a flashback but the actual event. Then jump a few years in the future to Hal getting his ring and going to Oa, the jump a few more years to a time that included the other human Lanterns.

@Deranged Midget said:

I really didn't think Reynolds made a good Green Lantern. He was barely passable. I want to like him, but I think he failed to embody the character. When I think of Superman I think of Reeve, when i think of Batman I think of  Christian Bale, Thor I think of  Chris Hemsworth, or Iron Man I think of Robert Downey  Jr., but when I think of Green Lantern Reynolds just doesn't fit to me. I think he'd make a great Deadpool though.  

@ntb1124 said:
     1)  Give a better back story to show the relationship between Hal/Carol/Hector,....give Carol's role to someone older that would have a little more presence. 2)I would have kept Hal on Oa much, much longer. .......There are several other scenes that were basically not needed that could have been cut.
    I disagree with the idea of keeping Hammond. I'd get rid of him. I do agree they needed someone better to play Carol, but truthfully I think her failure to make her character interesting was also Reynolds fault to. Hal and Carol had no chemistry. If their is no chemistry between the actors who play Hal and Carol then there's no point to putting Carol in the movie at all. I do agree that Hal should have been on Oa and space longer. I also agree that alot of scenes should have been cut. Basically all of Hal's relationship's with family and friends on Earth with the exception of his father. While these things are usually important, in this movie they felt trivial.  
    johnjcoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By johnjcoe

If filming a trilogy, I would actually save the training sessions on Oa for the sequel.  The first film should show Abin Sur's death by Atrocitus' hand, and have Atrocitus hint to Hal why the ring failed him.  The audience learns about the GLC and the ring as Jordan does:  the hard way!  After dealing /w Hal's origins, and the mutual history he has /w Carol Ferris, it turns into a CHASE, where Hal does his best to track down, and capture, Atrocitus, without getting killed in the process.  Its a long, drawn-out chase, /w several rough confrontations where Hal learns what the ring can do.  His overwhelming willpower (his father's fear is what killed him, and Hal developed it as a natural response to what killed the elder Jordan in a test flight) comes naturally, and he more-or-less gets by on luck and instinct.  That's how he learns about the ring's constructs.  The movie ends with Sinestro dropping out of the sky to save the day, and telling Hal its time to meet the REST of the GLC.  In Part 2, we get to meet the principle GLC, and the Guardians.  Hal goes through boot camp, and everybody (especially a jealous Sinestro) notice how naturally Hal wields the ring.  But, just as Hal is about to head back home (its implied he's been gone a few months), a very strange signal is received, and the Guardians send Hal, Sinestro, and Tomar-Re to investigate.  Its turns out to be the Manhunters, the Guardians FIRST attempt at policing the galaxy (Not the universe, which leaves room for lots of Easter eggs, like Darkseid, Mongul, Brainiac name-dropping).  But, the Manhunters' biggest advantage is the GLC's biggest limitation:  a GL cannot kill, and the Manhunters' sentience makes them bound to that law, but their emotionless programming (much like the Guardians, who made them "in their own image") means they CAN! This leads to massive death-tolls on both sides.  A virus sent through the Manhunters' communication networks allows the Corp. to win, but just barely.  A climactic battle on Korugar results in victory, but reveals Sinestro's despotic rule of his planet.  Hal's damning report to the Guardians gets Sinestro booted out of the Corp., and sentenced to slavery on Qward, to mine materials for Qward's famous Weaponsmiths.  Hal becomes a member of the Honor Guard, simultaneously earning Hal Sinestro's grudging respect, and his everlasting hatred.  In part 3, Sinestro collaborates /w the Qwardians, teaching them the secrets of the GL power ring construction and programming.  They help him forge the first yellow power ring, and Sinestro, along /w other indentured miners (Arkillo, etc.) decide to rebel against the Qwardians, who supply weapons to the biggest despot in the galaxy: Darkseid!  (Its just an Easter Egg, though).  They decide to embody the GLC's greatest enemy: FEAR!  It hits all the high-notes, captures Hal and Sinestro's relationship, and tells most of Geoff Johns' story from the Sinestro Corp. War.
     On a side-note, casting:
    Hal Jordan:: Bradley Cooper  (admit it, we knew it should've been Cooper from the get-go, but GL really didn't get off the ground until AFTER The Hangover was released, and by then he was already committed to The A-Team.
    Carol FerrisMarion Cotilliard (she has the look, and the acting chops, to pull off Carol's very conflicted feelings about Jordan.
    Thaal SinestroTie b/w Mark Strong, and Michael Fassbender..  Strong personifies Sinestro's overwhelming sense of power, menace, and his absolute belief in his of rule through strength, whereas Fassbender's Magneto is exactly what Erik Lensherr would be like if here a purple alien.  Everyone's made the Magneto/Sinestro comparison, so why not just hire Fassbender to play them both?!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.