Follow

Green Lantern

Movie » Green Lantern released on June 17, 2011.

A live-action adaptation of Hal Jordan's origin story. Following the death of the Green Lantern's greatest member, Abin Sur, Hal Jordan is chosen to bare the famous ring and protect sector 2814, but will he continue with the great responsibility Abin Sur has given him or will he decline?

Everything You Should Know Before Watching the Green Lantern Movie

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

I really hope you are aware that there is a movie based on Hal Jordan and the Green Lanterns. If anything, Warner Bros. has gone above and beyond in advertising this movie. Reviews are out but the movie is worth seeing. It does a good job of making the movie accessible to non-comic book readers. Those of us that are familiar with the characters are the ones that might have some issues with the movie.

No Caption Provided

If you plan on seeing the movie and aren't completely up to speed on the characters or maybe you're going to see the movie with friends don't know what a Green Lantern is, check out our detailed Beginner's Guide to find out everything you need to know about the characters before seeing the movie. As I mentioned, the movie is pretty accessible to new viewers but why not get a better understanding in order to get the optimal experience?

== TEASER ==

Hal Jordan

No Caption Provided

The star of the movie, the greatest Green Lantern. At least he will be some day. Hal is the most prominent and known Green Lantern even though he is far from the only one. Check out this Beginner's Guide to see what the full story is on the first Earth-based Green Lantern.

Sinestro

No Caption Provided

Before Hal Jordan, Sinestro was said to be the best Green Lantern. Originally first seen as only a villain, his updated origin showcased his time as a member of the Green Lantern Corps, including time spent training Hal. If you want to know what the other differences in his origin, check out this comparison on why he was the best and worst Green Lantern.

Abin Sur

No Caption Provided

Abin Sur is the dying purple alien seen in the trailers. There actually is more to his story than just being the alien-dude that give Hal Jordan his power ring. It could be argued (at least by me) that Abin was actually the most important Green Lantern.

Green Lantern Corps

No Caption Provided

What is this Corps about? Why are they all dressed in green? What are the joining requirements? Are there any benefits besides getting a fancy ring? Find out (almost) everything there is to know about these intergalactic police officers.

Green Power Ring

No Caption Provided

You can't have a Green Lantern movie without the power ring. How does it work? Who gets to wear it? Is it one size fits all or can it be resized? Find out everything you'd want to know about this fancy piece of jewelry.

Carol Ferris

No Caption Provided

You can't have a superhero movie without a love interest, right? The hero always has to have someone he's fighting for. That's probably why he's going to such extremes. Carol is a character that has gone through some crazy changes. You won't see her full story told on the big screen but you should check this out to see possible upcoming storylines in the sequels.

Hector Hammond

No Caption Provided

What about the villains? Hector Hammond is a guy with a big head. That doesn't mean he thinks highly of himself. We know that characters are often tweaked for the big screen. Hector had a different past but still got a big head. Read up on who he is and get some insight on the inspiration for his movie debut.

Parallax

No Caption Provided

What? Two villains in one movie? One is never enough, right? It was pretty crazy that they would even consider bringing in a character with such an incredibly complex backstory. I have to admit, even though the movie does a pretty good job in filling you in on what he is about, it would be beneficial to read up on what he's about in the comic books.

Kilowog

No Caption Provided

Kilowog is the Green Lantern you don't want to mess with. The Green Lanterns are a powerful bunch so imagine who is the one able to provide the training they need. Not only is he big in stature, but he has what it takes to properly use his ring to its fullest extent. He may not have the most screen time in the movie but he is an essential character when it comes to the Green Lantern Corps.

Tomar Re

No Caption Provided

There is so much going on in this movie. For those who don't know a thing about the Green Lanterns, Tomar Re is the answer to your prayers. He's the one that has all the answers. It was an odd choice for his inclusion in the movie. Why? Read up on him and you'll see what happens to him in the comics.

Guardians of the Universe and the Manhunters

No Caption Provided

Who are the blue guys in this movie? They sure aren't Smurfs (that's another movie). These are the guys that started the whole Lantern Corps. Check out this article explaining their story along with the Manhunters seen in the Green Lantern video game.

There might be some mixed reviews for the movie but it's definitely something you should see for yourself. Be sure to read up on all the characters involved to get a better idea of what's going on. If you're worried about any spoilers dealing with the characters, you could always check these out after you see the movie to do a comparison between the film and comics.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cattlebattle

Only thing you need to know

It stinks!!               Jay Sherman FTW

CraftyArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By CraftyArrow

I don't understand at first you said "My rating is a 3 out of 5. I was disappointed."  Know you are telling me it is "worth seeing." Not trying to be funny just don't get it.
    Avatar image for marvelunivers_deleteme
    marvelunivers_deleteme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Deadpool movie now

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#4  Edited By gmanfromheck

@CraftyArrow: 3 is better than a 1 or a 2. A lot depends on how much you're invested in the characters. It wasn't horrible. Better than other movies like...Wolverine Origins. Some cool effects.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By z3ro180

i called it a year a go that i thought the gl movie would suck...and i just remembered that i only told my mates in scotland...sorry.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Bestostero

I will be seeing this tomorrow but the reviews already make me feel disappointed... i just dont understand why they can't make a good live action movie like they do with the animated movies...Green Lantern First Flight was great lol

darkcloakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By darkcloakx

green lantern movie is the new daredevil movie.

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By They Killed Cap!
    @xhavoc86

I say themovie and I have to say that I actuually liked it. It wasn't great. But it wasn't horrible. It wasn't true to the comic book for sure but I enjoyed it.
    Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Osiris1428

@darkcloakx said:

green lantern movie is the new daredevil movie.

Bingo!@G-Man said:

@CraftyArrow: 3 is better than a 1 or a 2. A lot depends on how much you're invested in the characters. It wasn't horrible. Better than other movies like...Wolverine Origins. Some cool effects.

I would rather watch X-Men Origins: Wolverine again that to watch tis movie again.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#10  Edited By The Impersonator

I just watched Green Lantern: Emerald Knights. I gotta say this animated movie is way better than the live-action one. 

dorsk188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dorsk188
    @cattlebattle said:
    It stinks!!  
    Oh, you.  :)
    Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Mbecks14

Green Lantern was a good movie! Albeit a disappointing one that fell short of it's potential. They fit in a LOT of stuff, and i give it a lot of credit for it's faithfulness and it's attempt to really tell a great story. The good parts were great! But the bad parts were very weak. 

Don't give up on it yet! The sequel will kick ass!

UnosInfinitos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By UnosInfinitos

If you have to do THIS MUCH research before watching a movie than it's probably not worth seeing especially if you're trying to make it marketable to the cash cow of people who don't know anything about  the green lanterns. I haven't seen it yet (The Comic vine review made sure I won't ever see it) but the core problem seem that they tried to put too much story into one film. You have the entire corps making an appearance and their greatest threat PARALLAX, essentially you have three entire films crushed into one. 
    What a movie like this should do is want you craving more not stuff your throat full of information that you don't understand until you choke . This movie isn't TRANSFORMERS it won't be making any money off cars and their lame toys. If they were trying to sell the idea of guy with a magical alien ring they should of marketed like everyone else "Hey this movie is awesome you should find out why" not  "HEY WATCH THIS MOVIE IT'S AWESOME BECAUSE OF THIS AND THAT, DON'T FORGET TO DO YOUR HOMEWORK OR YOU WON'T UNDERSTAND WHY IT ROCKS NOOB". 

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I thought it was good. It set out to do what it should have. It was competent even if it did seem a tad high on the CGI and I was at times being nitpicky about details.  No, it was definitely no Dark Knight, but then again these days what movie can measure up tot hat critical and financial success?

greeneagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By greeneagle

It was a good movie, the one thing i can take away from it is; i now understand why Hal is regarded as the greatest Green Lantern. Story wise, it was  better than First Class. On an overall scale of 10, i give it a 7( which is a 3.5 on a scale of five). One question though, why does every super hero movie have to be like Dark Knight, when the characters are not the same? I think these so called critics need to "take out the plank in their eyes" to have a broader view as opposed to a narrow view before making any judgement.  

lostlantern13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 162

#16  Edited By lostlantern13
    @greeneagle said:
    It was a good movie, the one thing i can take away from it is; i now understand why Hal is regarded as the greatest Green Lantern. Story wise, it was  better than First Class. On an overall scale of 10, i give it a 7( which is a 3.5 on a scale of five). One question though, why does every super hero movie have to be like Dark Knight, when the characters are not the same? I think these so called critics need to "take out the plank in their eyes" to have a broader view as opposed to a narrow view before making any judgement.  
    Every superhero movie doesn't need to be exactly like "The Dark Knight." What TDK showed people was that a superhero movie could be a high-quality movie. That it could be more than special effects, bad costumes, and cliches....when I hear/read people say they wish it could be like TDK, I always take it as people demanding quality instead of something that doesn't live up to its potential.
    Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jordanstine

Got this from GaryBainbridge

No Caption Provided
    SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By SevanGrim

GL wasnt horrible! It just wasnt THE DARK KNIGHT or IRON MAN either. 
     I feel like This should have been the second movie (more or less), and the second should have been the first (they make it pretty clear what the second will be about). 

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By NightFang3

I enjoyed this movie more then Thor and X-Men:First Class and that's all the matters.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Kal'smahboi

Eff the critics. I liked it. It was good. Not great, not bad. It was good.

King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By King Quisling

People are jaded. GL was just as good as Thor, if not better. It was no First Class but I found it more watchable than Iron Man 2 or Incredible Hulk. 4/5 in my book. Especially with that after credits scene. I'm definitely waiting for the sequel.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By MrMazz

This movie IS BAD not even in a comic book sense it dose nothing to make you invest or grow the chracters excpet maybe Hal. Its entertaining sure but its as hollow as a green construct. Mark Strong is good in it hope he sticks around but he has nothing to do in this movie except give speeches.

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By Amegashita
    @MrMazz said:

This movie IS BAD not even in a comic book sense it dose nothing to make you invest or grow the chracters excpet maybe Hal. Its entertaining sure but its as hollow as a green construct. Mark Strong is good in it hope he sticks around but he has nothing to do in this movie except give speeches.

I agree with this.
    fitchy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By fitchy101
    @G-Man said:

I felt Wolverine was a good time waster. Now I shall definitely be watching GL.
    fitchy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By fitchy101
    @NightFang: More than Thor? And even First Class? Might really have to watch this now....
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By goldenkey

Just went and saw Green Lantern.  Had to take my nephew.  I was pissed I could not talk him into X-Men, but he's 10.  I sat there thinking this movie is going to suck.  I don't usually listen to critics, but EVERYONE said this movie was just bad.  EVERYONE.  Most posts on here the first day said the same thing.  To my surprise I was wrong.  The movie was really good.  I don't like to compare comic book movies to Batman BGNS and DK because those are in their own class.  This movie stands up to Thor which I really liked, and I thought it was actually better.   They handled the constructs better then expect.  Hector Hammond (even with the changes made) was the best actor in the movie.  The Parallax change worked.  The surprise other villain who was not named but we know who he is because he's been in the books lately was a nice surprise.  Sinestro was played the way you would think he should be played.  It was just good.  A few cheesy parts, and even Ryan did a much better Hal then you would think.  He starts off just Ryan, but at the end he's Hal.  Nice job.  Great intro movie.  I can only see this as a great set up for a sequel.  That's the feeling I had.  Sort of like when I saw X-Men.  It set it up for a nice sequel with out actully setting it up. 

Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

My non-comic book friends should see this and STOP ASKING ME QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS!!!!
    greeneagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By greeneagle

I just came back from seeing the movie a second time and i think it was great. I would give it a 4 out of  5. I saw it with a friend who isn't to familiar with comic books and he gave it a 4.5 out of  5, honestly Tony, it was a better movie than First Class. 

Avatar image for thecupcakeavenger
    TheCupcakeAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was a good movie, just not great. That said, I knew little about Green Lantern, with my only exposure to it being through the DCAU, with John Stewart being GL. I knew of the Guardians and I knew of Sinestro and Kilowog, and I knew Hal Jordan was the first GL (Save for Alan Scott), but that was about it. So it was a good jumping in point, and needless to say I've already got some of the GL trade paperbacks, so I'm now reading up on Green Lantern, having a larger interest in him.

Avatar image for emperormeister734
    Emperormeister734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 10

$52 million dollar movie was worth seeing i enjoyed every detail in the movie all the characters made their voices heard to me. I PRAY TO GOD FOR SEQUEL

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Eyz

The designs of the movie are what is making me doubt if I'll get to see this in theaters or on DVD...
    It's just so...messy...oversaturated in details.. Be it the general look, aliens, costumes, etc.. I guess they're fine if you're a fan of light shows...

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dondasch

Still have no desire to see this movie.  When you have to preface a review of it with, "It wasn't as a bad as (insert horrible Marvel/DC movie name) it generally doesn't inspire a rush to see it.

DVSPrankster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DVSPrankster

I have NEVER agreed with the critics! 
    That said, i usually do agreed with the articles on ComicVine, until now. 

THIS MOVIE ROCKED!!!!  I have been a GL fan since i was young and was soooo excited when I saw they were making the GL movie!!  

Granted, it didnt PERFECTLY follow the comics, but no comic book movie does.  I was worried about the fact that GL is not like any other story out there, but I went with a bunch of people who are not comic fans, had no idea waht GL was.  THEY ALL LOVED IT!  I felt the changes made were done so that EVERYONE could enjoy the movie, not just us die hards.  I felt the stroy was good, even the final fight.  They showed a good reason why Hal was able to kill Parallax, where a team of GL's were not. 

DONT LISTEN TO THE NAY-SAYERS!!!!!!   GL ROCKS!!!  I CANT WAIT FOR THE SEQUELS!!!
    sa5m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By sa5m

Useful information =)

dadistiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By dadistiller

i just got back from seeing it tonight and i enjoyed the hell out of it. yeah i might be a bit biased because i dig the shit out of the lanterns but the movie was fun, i wish they would have done more on Oa with the training scene because i was totally geeking out to that part and they needed more goddamn killiwog!!

i was hoping the parallax fight would have lasted a bit longer and i wanted more constructs.

Hector was really not a needed in this movie, and i have seen worse villians designs than i saw of parallax,

i took the movie for what it was, fun.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#36  Edited By Kairan1979

i wish they would have done more on Oa with the training scene because i was totally geeking out to that part and they needed more goddamn killiwog!!

Exactly! But instead we saw too much stupid scenes on Earth (the scene with the boy's birthday can be cut out, it adds nothing to the movie!).

i was hoping the parallax fight would have lasted a bit longer and i wanted more constructs.

And with the horrible lack of training it's hard to believe that Hal could beat him.
    Maikel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Maikel

Everyone in the audience was laughing when he was shouting to his lantern: "To infinity and beyond!", and then "By the power of greyskull!!". they had to stop there, because all other superhero transformation sentences were used up by peter parker in Sam Raimi's first spiderman movie.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.