Follow

Green Lantern

Concept » Green Lantern appears in 2504 issues.

A Green Lantern is an officer of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps, who have the ability to overcome great fear with the might of willpower. They possess power rings capable of creating constructs characterized by their will and strength to use it. Each Green Lantern is given a Sector of the Universe to protect and it is their priority to suppress any threat against their sector.

Why Was Green Lantern Movie Hated So Much?

• 70 results
    Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Xanni15

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

it sounds like we should just agree to disagree.

All right. Nice chat. :]

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#52  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt  Online

@Xanni15 said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

it sounds like we should just agree to disagree.

All right. Nice chat. :]

: )

ghostsuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By ghostsuck

mediocre

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#54  Edited By PowerHerc

Because it tried to do too much in one movie. It wasn't as good as it could and should have been.

ColonelRunAway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55  Edited By ColonelRunAway

Because Berlanti and Guggenheim... Berlaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnntiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii and GUGGEN-HEIM.

Two mad little men with their mad little scripts, always scampering about, looking for your favorite characters. Just so they can bind them, and grrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiind them, and CRUNCH THEM INTO itty-bitty pieces, laughing as you cry.

laughing, ALWAYS LAUGHING, LAUGHING EVERY DAY!

i drive the pencils into my eyes, deeper and deeper, BUT IT NEVER KILLS THE LAAAAAAUUUUUGHIIIIIIIIIIIING!!!!

No. no i'll be good now. i'll watch arrow like a good little girl. look how much i love arrow. aha. hahaha.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Twas okay.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because DC fans have been waiting for years for something other than Batman to get green-lighted, and after all that waiting they got a pretty lame Green Lantern movie. At the same time Marvel pumps out 4 movies a year and 90% of them were better.

Skulexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Skulexander

I wouldn't say I hated it. It was just disappointing. It was just mediocre. The two major things they got wrong were Hal's character and using Parallax as a villain. Hal whined too much and quit, which is not what willpower is about. I could understand if he doubted himself at some point, hit a low point, but he should have picked himself up and trudged on. Not outright quit. And Parallax is too big a villain to use in the first movie. And it shouldn't have been a giant space cloud. What's with movies and making villains into space clouds? I'm looking at YOU, Galactus!

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By WaveMotionCannon
    @AtPhantom

Both villains were extraordinarily terrible.

This. Good villains, horrible execution
    Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

#60  Edited By Raw_Material

I wish, as the first of any Green Lantern film they went more in depths with the origin of Hal Jordan and his early adventures with the Corps and mentor, Sinestro. With the 2nd film being more of Sinestro's Corps and his attack on the Green Lanterns with more in depths of the Guardians of the Universe...and so forth going onto the 3rd film being the conclusion where they depict the "War of the Green Lanterns". The whole thing with parallax being depicted as a dark cloud that appeared from space wasn't really that intriguing. Ryan Reynolds fit Hal Jordan, but needs to be more toned, yet still a classy kind of guy if he wants the role again.

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Matchstick

1) The costume was horrible

2) The plot was basically the popular kid beating up the geek, the complete opposite of what most people would relate to.

3) Nathan Fillion wasn't cast as Hal.

StrangeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By StrangeMan

It was fine, people saying stuff like "this movie ruined the comic book genre" and treating it like Catwoman is a complete overreaction, the main problem was the villains and the focus on stuff that didn't need that much focus, mainly the location of Earth, the movie should've stayed in space, and if they really felt the need to put so much Earth in the movie, try Hal have a character arc or some kind of development, try really go indepth to his inner struggles of what he's going through, if not, they just should've kept it in space, it would've been miles better and people would've gotten what they were expecting. Another problem was the use of the effects, not the effects itself, they were REALLY good, but how they used them, a big problem that I always thought when talking about a GL movie was how they were going to show the constructs and the powers without it feeling cartoonish, just because it works in comics and animation doesn't mean it would translate well to the big screen, stuff like the giant fist or a machine gun were fine, but pulling off a hot wheels track? For God's sake!

The casting was great imo, Mark Strong as Sinestro, Ryan Reynolds as Hal (yes, he was good), Michael Clark Duncan as Kilowog (R.I.P.), they were all outstanding, only real problem in this regard was the villains, and everybody knows why.

And the last "big problem" that I had was the post-credit scene, in paper it's awesome! A sequel promising Sinestro Corps War? It would litterally be the perfect sequel, but Sinestro putting the ring came out of nowhere, there was mention of it, but no build up, another problem that would've been solved if the movie stayed in space, that way Sinestro could of had some actual development. In my opinion, a better post-credit scene would've been Hal showing sings of being possesed by Parallax, hell, even a scene with Guy Gardner getting the ring would've been better.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#63  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

It was a very poor film, Mark Strong was a great choice for Sinestro however its just a shame he never had much to do. Ryan Renolds sucked as Hal.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By DEGRAAF

I hated it bc of Hector Hammond and Parallax basically being a tainted gaurdian

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

i was just about to ask this.

people can't appreciate decent movies. all movies have to be a 10 out of 10 anything lower then you get people acting like fools bashing a good movie.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With a 200 million dollar budget, they could have done something way better than this crap.

lolzstastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it was bad, simple as that. And the worst part is that it wasn't laughably bad like Batman and Robin, Catwoman or both of the Ghost Rider movies, it was plain bad: the most boring variety of bad ever conceived.

Avatar image for mynamewasdeleted
    MyNameWasDeleted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was only a little bit worse than Man of Steel- enjoyable to watch, but not a great flick... but it left you feeling good at the end, so there's that... Man of Steel didn't

Womp-Womp

Avatar image for deactivated-5e975a728292e
    deactivated-5e975a728292e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They ruined Parallax honestly

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#70  Edited By jb681131

@lorbo said:

I know little of Green Lantern. I have only seen him in the superman animated series. Didn't particularly care for him then.

But it seems everyone here almost hated the movie. So I just wanted to know, what made it so bad for a comic book movie? Weren't the special effects at least good? Usually they directors can get that right if nothing else.

I have not seen it, should I? I have seen "Skyline", and in spite of people bashing it, I thought it was more realistic than "Independence day", and overall a better movie.

No Caption Provided

Nah, it's not that bad. There are way worse movies in the MCU.

And DC has produced by the past way worse movies.

And for your information, if you want to get into Green Lanterns her would be my recommendations to you:

You should start with the modern age Lantern stories (from 1986 on) :

1. Green Lantern: Hal Jordan vol.1
    2. Emerald Twilight/New Dawn
    3. Green Lantern by Goeff Johns - it's 3 massive omnibus, or you can only read the following stories (but you'll be missing some interresting stuff):
      1. GL: Rebirth (2005)
      2. Sinestro Corps War
      3. Secret Origin
      4. Blackest Night

In 2011 came a reboot of the DC Univers with the event Flashpoint. Luckilly it didn't much affect the GL univers and Geoff Johns could finish his run (available in the 3rd of his Omnibus), or you can read the main crossovers if you'd like (but they are not mandatory):

1. Rise of the Third Army
    2. Wrath of the First Lantern
    3. Lights Out

Then you can skip to the following relaunch after the event DC Univers Rebirth in 2016. There was 2 ongoings - You can use this as another starting point:

1. Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps (more outer space stories)
    2. Green Lanterns (about 2 new earth Lanterns)

In 2018 some of the DC titles were rebranded a few DC event - Dark Knight: Metal - Justice: No Justice - Doomsday Clock (concludes the storyline started with Watchmen, Flashpoint and Rebirth) - This is also a possible starting point.

1. The Green Lantern - ongoing - very well written and really explores other planets, by Grant Morrison

In the mean time, if you want to read some good Silver Age / Bronze Age stories:

• Green Lantern/Green Arrow
    • Green Lantern: Sector 2814

And if you like a fresh take you can also try:

• Green Lantern: Earth-one

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.