Follow

Green Lantern

Concept » Green Lantern appears in 2504 issues.

A Green Lantern is an officer of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps, who have the ability to overcome great fear with the might of willpower. They possess power rings capable of creating constructs characterized by their will and strength to use it. Each Green Lantern is given a Sector of the Universe to protect and it is their priority to suppress any threat against their sector.

Why do you like Green Lantern?

theodixon9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

A while ago, I had little interest in reading a Green Lantern series. However, recently I've been thinking about buying some issues. But before I start, I want to know if it's worth the money. Why do you like Green Lantern comics? Isn't it a bit boring having almost every character with the same power? Are the plots any good? Are the battles exciting? Also, if you think Green Lantern is any good, would storylines do you recommend? Another extra, are the Red Lantern and Larfleeze series enjoyable?

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

The best part of Green Lanterns have diferents personalities and that refflet on their way of fightning and contructs. Plus even if they seem similiar, they are kind different from each other. Like how Batfamily have own unique fightning styles from each other.

Downside is that most of time they are on space and dealing with space threats, so if you dont like things like that you might not enjoy.

Red Lanterns weren´t the best series but now are getting better.

Plots/Arc/Histories are usally always good.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#3  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

I loved Green Lantern first when I saw the movie! Now I am buying graphic novels with GL as I love the character..why? His powerset is just so unique. I love the way he can create cars an planes and bomb shelters to protect himself and others, he can create massive guns, huge big boxing gloves...look no one out there is like this, its different!! This is why I still quite like the movie for the action scenes. Certainly Marvel don't have anything out there like him....basically he offers almost infinite possibilities....

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

I love Green Lantern because of so many things.

- It's really its own universe. They travel across the universe to different planets and meet beings from all over.

- There are two things in comic books which, for me, are the most beautiful things to see: the Flash running and Green Lantern constructs - some of the panels drawn are visually breath-taking.

- Geoff Johns run was filled with breath-taking stories, captivating characters and plenty of 'HOLY SHIT' moments.

- The characters are so diverse and all are so memorable

theodixon9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What do you suggest reading first?

attatje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theodixon9: I'd start reading at the beginning of Geoff Johns' run.

attatje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

attatje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By attatje

@theacidskull: I get your dislike for Hal Jordan, however he's my favorite.

although I've gotta agree with Red Lanterns and Larfleeze.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#14  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@vitalius: and you did a good job. Hence my previous comment

Mxyzptlk_CV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because I love cosmic stories...and Green Lantern has some great ones!

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JulieDC

I was one of those people that didn't really care for Green Lantern at first but read the Emerald Knights book where a time displaced Hal teams up with Kyle. I loved the story and it made me curious enough to check out GL: Rebirth which actually made me want to go read Geoff Johns' GL run. I think what pulled me in was that the GL mythos seemed like fun and that is what is most important to me is to have fun and enjoy what I read.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#17  Edited By Extremis

@theodixon9: did you start reading GL? If so, where did you start (just curious as I'm going to be introducing a friend to GL comics soon)? And if you still need a push:

- Green Lanterns are superheroes, sure. But they are also intergalactic space cops equipped with the most powerful weapons in the universe. It's ridiculously awesome.

- The mythology, though a little difficult to grasp at first, allows for so many different types of stories. You can have the Star Wars-esque Johns' type stories (epic space battles and prophecies foretold, long ago), you can have the space cop stories (detective work, Corps members exploring strange new worlds), and you can have your own self contained massive universe inside of the already-massive DC universe. The thing I love about Green Lantern is that all the other DC books focus mostly on earth. But in just that one corner of the DC Universe, in Green Lantern, we get to see the entire universe and meet all sorts of strange people who live there. And we get to see them on Earth from time to time too. But I love the space stories most of all. The possibilities are endless.

- Mogo. He's a GL and he's a planet! He's also the new central precinct and homeworld to the Corps.

- Again, intergalactic space cops. Seriously, dude. That's all you need to know ;)

theodixon9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis: I haven't read anything from a GL series, but I bought the graphic novel of Blackest Night and I thought it was pretty good so I'm thinking about getting a GL trade paperback of some kind pretty soon. Still don't know which one I should get though.

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Space adventures

modunhanul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's cool to make constructs WHATEVER YOU WANT. If you have a willpower.

Bats_Colony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bats_Colony

The power and worth of a Green Lantern may be quite easy to overlook as they're constantly taking care of cosmic level problems around the universe. Said aspects may hinder the imagination of some readers as it may seem hard to relate to. I think superhero activities on earth are more likely to attract a majority of readers.

Anyway, the reason I like the Green Lantern concept is because it involves normal humans gaining power via a tool instead of the person being a super-being. Additionally, it's pretty cool to think about a ring that grants wishes like a genie.

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do I like Green Lantern? Because who wouldn't want to be able to create any construct they could imagine? That and Geoff Johns. The dude's a freaking genius. I'm a GL fan for life.

About the same powers comment. They're not a team of heroes like the JLA or X-Men or Avengers. They're each a space cop with a beat. Though lately they've been facing vast cosmic threat after vast cosmic threat and have therefore, been congregating on the central precinct, that is what you have to realize about them.

And yes, the Larfleeze book was quite funny.

cheese12614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theodixon9: This is the reason i love green lantern.

Green Lantern: Clearly, you should never do this stuff without me. You end up with crap all over yourself.

quote from GL in Justice League The Flashpoint Paradox. It was pretty much the flaspoint paradox animated.

AAAAAq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Live @bezza, I love Green Lantern since I saw the movie. When the New 52 came, DC Comics delect a new editor for his comics in France (the last one had Marvel AND DC Comics and he just published Marvel because it works more than DC in France). Urban Comics - that his name - started with a lot of collection : DC Renaissance (for the New 52 series), DC Essentiels (of the essentials) and stuff. And two series were : Geoff Johns présente Green Lantern (in DC Signatures, for the author's run of a particular universe) and Green Lantern (DC Renaissance so New 52). I'm fall in love of the GLs when I rode the volumes of Geoff Johns présente Green Lantern and when I began to read our french magazine for the Green Lantern Universe : Green Lantern Saga. It's pretty good because all month I bought* the New 52 series Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, New Guardians and Red Lanterns in one magazine. So because of the movie because, because of Urban Comics, I debut GL and now I'm a huge fan ! I bought all the US singles of Green Lantern Corps and Emerald Warriors and I enjoy it ! I talk about GL last time with Peter Tomasi at the Paris Comics Expo !

* I buy always Green Lantern Saga but now, for selling reasons I suppose, he's trimestrial and I can only read Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps. Red Lanterns, New Guardians and Sinestro aren't publishing unless if there is a crossover between them and GL and GLC or one other serie like Supergirl. For information, Godhead will be plublished in july and october 2015. And Red Daughter of Krypton in some Superman Saga Hors-Série magazines in january and april 2015.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Before I read any GL comics I used to hate GL. I thought it was dumb like a lot of other characters. I jumped in on New Guardians during the New 52 trying to be hipster (i was wierd), and ended up enjoying it. Eventually ir ead the main title and now I'm trying to catch up on Johns run and read as much as possible.

I like GL because the main characters are a great manifestation of will and courage, and it's absolutely awesome. All the characters are incredibly unique and interesting, and apply their power in different ways depnding on their origins and personality. The stories are always really epic and engaging, and its overall lots of fun. I don't see how someone could just not like green lantern just because.

Abishai100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Art Access: Graffiti Restoration

Green Lantern pictorials are great examples of comic book colorfulness, ready to be personalized (and would benefit from more diversified media marketing).

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Abishai100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Imagery Rhombus: Film-Friendly

Green Lantern is colourful enough to create alternate-view mindscapes (i.e., bioluminescence). This created a demand for Hollywood adaptations.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

Until recently, I never felt the urge to read GL. A few months ago, I randomly decided to read Johns' post Flashpoint run and I feel in love with it.

Not only is the concept of Space cops cool but the concept behind the power rings manifesting thoughts and emotion into energy based constructs is really awesome.

Then there's the different lantern corps that use different colors of the emotional spectrum and each have their own quirks, beliefs and differences.

There's also a ton characters related with GL stuff that I find really interesting. Hal Jordan and Sinestro are my favorites but I also really like Kilwog, Soranik Natu, Arkillo, Guy Gardner, Saint Walker, Atrocitus, Simon Baz and a bunch of others.

Green Lantern has probably become my favorite comic series in the last few months.

I think Geoff John's run on GL is really good. It starts with GL Rebirth and leads into Hal Jordan's post Flashpoint ongoing. I've been collecting the Geoff John's Green Lantern Omnibuses and those are really nice.

GL Corps is a pretty cool team book. I like the Tomasai & Gleason era's the most.

Post John's GL is hit or miss in the beginning but I think it's gotten pretty good since the end of GL vol. 5.

The Green Lantern/New Gods: Godhead event is really good if you read it order of the trade/hardback.

The current GL status quo is a bit different but I think Venditti has been doing a good job with it.

Sinestro is really good and Cullen Bunn is doing a fantastic job of keeping Sinestro as interesting as he was under John's. It's my favorite GL related book atm.

Green Lantern: New Guardians has a really interesting dynamic in the first 12 issues.

Red Lanterns is also good for the first 12 issues. You really get to see how Atrocitus' mind works. Also, he has some really badass moments.

RevivalMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theexile285: Good post. I'm in the same boat you were in a few months ago. I just started reading Geoff Johns run through the omnibi that have recently come out and I'm absolutely loving it. It's crazy to think I've passed this up for years now. I always just thought it was interesting but never took the time to grab anything and start reading.

After I'm down with all 3 of the omnibus when the third does finally come out I'll try and catch up on all your mentioned series. Thanks.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

Stefano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Green Lantern because of so many things.

- It's really its own universe. They travel across the universe to different planets and meet beings from all over.

- There are two things in comic books which, for me, are the most beautiful things to see: the Flash running and Green Lantern constructs - some of the panels drawn are visually breath-taking.

- Geoff Johns run was filled with breath-taking stories, captivating characters and plenty of 'HOLY SHIT' moments.

- The characters are so diverse and all are so memorable

This

Abishai100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Firefly Math

Imagine three fireflies are flying one ahead of the other on a summer night in New Jersey. Two of the fireflies break off, leaving the first/third one. Does the front two fireflies statistically break off together more than the rear two fireflies? What gauges 'mathematical ambition'?

Take Green Lantern's green light/ring/lantern, and you have a nice engram of 'matrix alchemy.'

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.