Follow

Green Lantern

Concept » Green Lantern appears in 2504 issues.

A Green Lantern is an officer of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps, who have the ability to overcome great fear with the might of willpower. They possess power rings capable of creating constructs characterized by their will and strength to use it. Each Green Lantern is given a Sector of the Universe to protect and it is their priority to suppress any threat against their sector.

WB: Green Lantern Film Sequel Will Need to Be Darker, Edgier

• 115 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Most comic book fans could not wait for the Green Lantern movie, which did alright on it's opening weekend, but quickly fizzled out shortly afterward at the domestic box office. The film, according to Box Office Mojo, garnered only $114 million domestic (only $40 million foreign, based on numbers as of July 31st) and cost a projected $200 million to produce.

No Caption Provided

Needless to say, the film did not bode well for Warner Brothers who has yet to see a profit for the Green Lantern movie. Most movie companies would can a project that cost so much to make and saw so little in return; but apparently not Warner Brothers. The film studio still sees Green Lantern as a property that, with the right vision, could be huge.

== TEASER ==

The WB is looking ahead to the sequel to the Green Lantern movie, according to the Warner Brothers film group President Jeff Robinov -- only next time, the movie needs to be "darker" and "edgier."

“We had a decent opening so we learned there is an audience,” said Warner Bros. film group President Jeff Robinov, pointing to the film’s box office debut of $53 million. “To go forward we need to make it a little edgier and darker with more emphasis on action…. And we have to find a way to balance the time the movie spends in space versus on Earth.”

No Caption Provided

So what does this mean for the Green Lantern director Martin Campbell, who is (according to the source) signed on for a Green Lantern sequel? Perhaps he will have to be paid off before WB can seek out a new director, and with that, a new "edgier" and "darker" vision for Green Lantern. Evidently, the Green Lantern sequel is not the only comic book movie WB has up their sleeve. What's next, you ask? Why, a 'Flash' movie, or perhaps even 'The Justice League.'

Later that year or in 2014, Warner could go ahead with a second Green Lantern or Flash movie. Robinov said the studio has “a solid script” for the Scarlet Speedster. The executive also remains interested in bringing DC heroes together for a “Justice League” movie.

What do you think of the idea of a sequel to Green Lantern? What do you think would need to be changed in order for that movie to be an even greater success? What do you think of the possibility of a Flash and a Justice League movie? Would you watch it?

Source: Los Angeles Times

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Mbecks14

idk about darker/edgier...how about just better? 

I liked the movie, but it could've been so much better.

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#2  Edited By Dracade102

"darker and edgier" fixes any movie series, I guess...

Burnstar1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Burnstar1230

I like how whenever a movie already receives a greenlight for a sequel and doesn't fare as well as they thought it would, the producers think telling people that its going to be darker is going to make people change their opinions about it. There's no second chances in Hollywood and what they did with Green Lantern so far, can't really expect the sequel to do any better.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Hot_Karl

It actually needs to be well-written and the action sequences need to be staged a whole lot better for me to care about a Green Lantern sequel. The film was just generic as all hell, like the bastard child of the first Iron Man film crossed with Thor crossed with Superman. It was never its own film and instead just aped whatever other comic book property was familiar and successful with audiences. (Also, that CGI was kind of wonky, especially if it cost $200+ million to make when stuff like Cloverfield can make New York city look like a warzone with only $25 million).  

disposablepal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By disposablepal

everyone knows that "darker" and "edgier" makes things better, just look at Punisher: War Zone. Honestly i didnt hate GL, i thought it had some minor issues but it was a solid way to start a film series about an intergalactic green cop. With a better script and some fleshed out characters i think a sequel could work.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By dernman
    @Mbecks14: You stole the words right out of my mouth.
    CrimsonTempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#7  Edited By CrimsonTempest

I'll just be happy if you fix the first one. It was good, but it could've been better. And the only way they can pull it off being darker and edgier, it's if they adapt the Sinestro Corps War to the big screen.

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Green ankh

Loose Ryan.  WRONG choice for Hal.  He would have been a great Flash
    dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By dernman
    @Green ankh said:
    Yes he would have made a good flash and although wolverine wasn't a good movie in my opinion he made a good Deadpool.
    Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Amegashita

LMAO~!  Warner Brothers sure can't learn.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Kairan1979

"Darker and engier" means NO Ryan Reynolds in sequel.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I do not know if it has to be darker but i do know that they have to change soemthing to make the movie better and get more money in the box office for the sequel

15marat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By 15marat1
    @Amegashita: jerk
    the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

1. i like Ryan Reynolds, i really do, but he's just no Hal Jordan, lose him, and maybe cast someone like Nathan Fillion  

2. focus on ONE THREAT AT A TIME, honestly i didn't even see the point of having Hector Hammond in the film, if they would have cut him and his backstory, they could have focused on important things like Hal's time on Oa 

3. more Sinestro, if he is going to be the villain in the next film, show what makes him tick and how he went to the yellow side 

also, i can't wait for a flash movie!!

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Cafeterialoca

NO!  The movie doesn't need to be Darker and edgier!  That's missing the point entirely!
    What we wanted was SPACE! We wanted to see more OUTER SPACE!  Not Hal's life on earth!
    God, this is why DC fails!

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By ReVamp
    @Dracade102 said:

"darker and edgier" fixes any movie series, I guess...

Ça.
    Sveppi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sveppi

To be fair, it hasn't opened in major European markets yet so there are still a few bucks to be made. Not enough to salvage the ordeal, god no. 

If they make another one then they can at least have the decency to make a good movie, unlike what this one was. 
    If anyone's interested they can read my thoughts on the film here: http://filmophilia.com/2011/08/02/film-review-green-lantern/

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By daredevil21134
    @Green ankh said:
    A great Wally West
    Avatar image for bearded_justice
    Bearded Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bearded Justice

i think what they meant to say was "more dark knightier" 

If anything I'd like to see a sequel take itself less seriously and be funner! 

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By Caligula

how about just not make a sequel

keith71_98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 195

User Lists: 32

#21  Edited By keith71_98

I had fun with it but it had plenty of flaws. Better structure and a better script. Don't try to cram so much into the film and actually try and develop the characters.
    Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By Thunderscream

@Kairan1979 said:

"Darker and engier" means NO Ryan Reynolds in sequel.

does that mean we'll see John Stewart? :P

I know, in terribly bad taste. Seriously though, it should be John Stewart.
    StarKiller809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#23  Edited By StarKiller809

I didn't mind the movie but it could be a lot better. I would love to see a better Green Lantern movie but I rather get a Justice League movie.

Avatar image for green_lantern_2814_5
    Green Lantern 2814.5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanna see a Flash movie so bad! I have this vision in my head of The Flash and Reverse Flash fighting at super speed in the rain and the rain is like frozen along with the people around them. Man, thatd b so cool.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jordanstine

Well, Warner Bros said the same thing about a Superman Returns sequel back in 2006:

http://www.movieweb.com/news/warner-bros-planning-on-the-superman-returns-sequel-for-2009

The Los Angeles Times spoke with Alan Horn, the President of Warner Bros. about the less-than-expected performance of Superman Returns as well as other WB movies this year:

Horn declined to divulge figures, but a person familiar with the studio's internal projections said Warner's cut of the Superman Returns profit was expected to be $50 million to $60 million. The film cost $209 million to produce and more than $100 million to market worldwide.

Horn expects Superman Returns to eventually gross about $400 million worldwide, more than last year's hit Batman Begins. Nonetheless, Superman fell at least $100 million short of his expectations.

"I thought it was a very successful movie, but I think it should have done $500 million worldwide," Horn said. "We should have had perhaps a little more action to satisfy the young male crowd."

Still, Horn said he's betting Warner has firmly reestablished the Superman franchise and is planning another sequel installment for summer 2009.

Apparenlty Brandon Routh was going to reprise his role in a sequel before 2009.

We all know that never happened, instead we got a ** REBOOT ** scheduled for 2013.
    DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26  Edited By DMC
    @disposablepal said:

Honestly i didnt hate GL, i thought it had some minor issues but it was a solid way to start a film series about an intergalactic green cop.

Solid? Hardly. 
    With a foundation the zipped right through the training process, didn't take time to develop the (essential) student/mentor relationship of Hal and Sinestro (before he becomes a Yellow Lantern), I think they're better off waiting a few years and doing a reboot, kinda like what Marvel is doing with Wolverine. 
    But it goes beyond that. Imho, I don't think DC did a good job of showcasing how awesome Green Lantern powers can be. We should have seen bigger and better displays of power from Sinestro and the other corps members, stuff that clearly shows that they're on another level than rookie Hal Jordan. Sure Kilowog's sun was cool but it wasn't enough. 

I could go on and on but I'll leave it at that for now.
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By Nighthunter
    @Sveppi said:
    To be fair, it hasn't opened in major European markets yet so there are still a few bucks to be made. Not enough to salvage the ordeal, god no.  If they make another one then they can at least have the decency to make a good movie, unlike what this one was. If anyone's interested they can read my thoughts on the film here: http://filmophilia.com/2011/08/02/film-review-green-lantern/
    it also hasn't opened in Mexico and that's one of the major income countries for blockbuster films. I do know that everyone wants to see it here
    Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sammo21

This is their equation:

"Green Lantern didn't too well and it didn't itself super serious...nor did it have overreaching political and social messages...then again Batman Begins and the Dark Knight did and those movies took themselves too seriously AND were chock full of preachy political and social messages. I think we know where to take this gentlemen..."

ZoddGuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ZoddGuts

See WB/DC gets it. Will Smith as Jon Stewart confirmed.

Man of Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By Man of Lengend

please just reboot it with no Ryan please he should just be deadpool and thats it

CaptObtuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CaptObtuse

Watch "Buried" and "Smokin' Aces" and then tell me Ryan Reynolds doesn't have the range to do "darker and edgier."  That being said, that wasn't the problem with GL.  Reynolds made a terrific young Hal Jordan.  Where the movie failed was in the editing.  I gotta believe there's a director's cut that's much better.  Hopefully we'll see that when the DVD comes out.  They should have lost the 10 or so minutes of exposition from the beginning - everything was explained as the movie went along.  They should have lost the family stuff with the kid's birthday party.  It served no purpose.  They should have built a better foundation for the relationship between Hal and Hector Hammond - it wasn't credible and had no weight because it was reduced to a single line.  Then there should have been more training, and more time in space.  The relationship with Sinestro needed to be explored more.  Mark Strong was terrific on screen, but we only got about 15 minutes of him.  I didn't have a problem with featuring two villains, especially when Parallax and Hammond ended up being a single threat.  Edit out the needless crap, expand on the strong material, and make it a solid two hours.  Would have been much strong IMO.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Press Oblivion

Sequals, JLA, New solo Titles! Let's do it!

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33  Edited By Pokeysteve

I actually enjoyed Green Lantern. Thor was boring. All of the film snobs are whining about the script and the pacing and all of this stupid crap. Just watch and have fun. The Green Lantern fans (which I'm not really)...........ok they can complain all they want. I dod agree they didn't showcase the rings powers like they should have. GL was entertaining and fun and sent a good message. Hal evolved nicely and Carol did a great job supporting him even if Lively's acting is.....we'll go with different. I'm excited for a Sinestro sequel.  

Bring on the Flash! 

A Justice League movie will not work unless they link the films like Marvel is doing. Wonder Woman alone will be impossible to cast let alone the other 6. I just can't see this working. Anyone remember the teeny bopper JL movie that was almost made a few years ago? Adam Brody as Barry Allen!?!?

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By TheMess1428

Would the Justice League movie really have Christian Bale, Hal Jordan, and Henry Cavill in it? Or a completely different cast?

lb70145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By lb70145

The problem was the fact they were on Earth PERIOD for a decent chunk of the film. No one cares what happens on Earth. Put the entire thing in space. Is that so hard?

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Manchine

Darker..... Well then the movie will suck.
    Epsilon5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Epsilon5

Darker? Wasn't it in space? how much darker can you go than that!?! lol Personally I never really associated "dark" and "edgy" with GL, except for maybe when Sinestro Corps and Blackest Night came into play... But hey! Better CGI... stronger balance of action and character development (besides just the main character)... and yeah, better timing between scenes.

Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Kid_Zombie
    @Caligula said:

how about just not make a sequel

What he said.

Plus have no interest in a flash movie but who knows, could be awesome.
    FNspiderdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FNspiderdan

yawn.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#40  Edited By Outside_85

Less horrible CGI-aliens helps...actually they should keep CGI to a minimum.

super_psycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By super_psycho

i want to see wonder woman movie :D 

clarkjordan27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By clarkjordan27

what exactly was wrong with the movie? im a horrible critic so i cant say too much if a movie is good or not.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jordanstine
    Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Amegashita
    @15marat1:  Lol, I'm the jerk when more people said far worse things then I did.  That's ironic.  
    cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#45  Edited By cbishop

I think the GL movie had plenty of problems, but I also think it was the movie they had to make.  By the time the GL movie came out, DC was past Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night, and well into Brightest Day.  Basically, they had to tell the story of Parallax, just to set anything else up. 

However, the movie Parallax sucked big, bright, shiny, yellow lemons.  I mean, lessee... the first Hulk stank because at the end, rather than some muscle-to-muscle Hulk smash-a-thon, he fought a big, formless blob of energy.  It stank so much that Marvel rebooted the Hulk after only one movie.   Soooo, DC makes an entire movie about fighting a big, formless blob of energy?  Sure, that was going to make all kinds of money. <cough-cough>
    mrzero1982pt2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mrzero1982pt2

i liked the movie. liked, not loved. i liked this over captain america! but in order for this film (and yes, in my mind, it was going to be a barometer/vehicle to see if the world was ready for a justice league film) to survive, there needs to be a team of folks to do the film who cares and loves and understand the character and the universe. not just a bigwig director and crew. i seriously hope the get it right next time around because the sinestro corps is something which needs to be seen on film. 

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@Babs said:

No Caption Provided

Later that year or in 2014, Warner could go ahead with a second Green Lantern or Flash movie. Robinov said the studio has “a solid script” for the Scarlet Speedster. The executive also remains interested in bringing DC heroes together for a “Justice League” movie.

This is great and all but could they.....I dont know, maybe get a f'n Wonder Woman movie in there at some point as well? Seriously. Two GL films, a Flash film, and a JLA film all before establishing the last remaining member of the Trinity? Makes sense to me o_O

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#48  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

FLASSSSSSSH

lady_sinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By lady_sinestro

I'm looking forward to it- if they want to give it another shot, all the power to them. I didn't hate the first one, and I'll be happy to watch the second. xD 

And I'm not just saying that because I hope to see Sinestro's fall. -cough-

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#50  Edited By cbishop

(Argh, dang library timeout).  So, I was going to say: the other thing I completely disliked about the GL movie was that extra scene, during the credits.........SPOILER, IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE..... 

SPOILER ALERT 

Okay, Hal makes this great speech about not giving into fear, and convinces everyone - including Sinestro - to help him fight Parallax, and yet, during the extra scene, we see Sinestro putting on the yellow ring anyway?  Lucyyyy, you got sum esplainin' t'dooo!  How are they going to explain that, in the next movie?  Or is the "darker, edgier" movie going to ignore that altogether? 

END OF SPOILER 

Get it straight: the only epic beginning to a GL franchise was going to be GL vs. yellow-ringed Sinestro.  They could have explained Parallax in a narrated intro and moved on.   If the next movie isn't a reboot, I think even Hal vs. Sinestro is going to fall a little flat, unless it is MAJORLY epic.

Also, the only epic beginning to a Flash franchise is going to be Flash vs. Reverse Flash (Zoom).  It has to happen.  Why they never did it in the TV series, I dunno. 

And as long as we're discussing this, Superman just has to be rebooted.  I loved the Christopher Reeves movies as a kid, and the Brandon Routhe movie was a decent homage to those, but now that's done, and they need to reboot. 

Honestly, and Smallville convinced me of this, if Green Arrow is good enough to stand in for Batman, due to licensing conflicts, I think the character could carry his own movie.  I don't necessarily think he should, but I think he could. 

I think a major difference between an Avengers movie and a JLA movie is that the Avengers characters are major enough to carry their own, individual movies, and those that aren't, Marvel was smart enough to work into secondary roles.  DC movies have never been real good at giving their costumed heroes secondary roles, so I don't see a JLA movie coming from the solo movies.  On its own, maybe... something like X-Men... but I think that ship has sailed, with Batman, GL and Supes having their own movies already.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.