Follow

Green Lantern

Concept » Green Lantern appears in 2496 issues.

A Green Lantern is an officer of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps, who have the ability to overcome great fear with the might of willpower. They possess power rings capable of creating constructs characterized by their will and strength to use it. Each Green Lantern is given a Sector of the Universe to protect and it is their priority to suppress any threat against their sector.

Thoughts on Volthoom? Minor GL#15 Sp0ilers

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Onemoreposter

So I just picked up the latest issue of Green Lantern and although I've felt rather underwhelmed with the Third Army storyline I could help but grin at the reveal at the end of the issue. The name of the First Lantern is Volthoom. Now any longtime JLA fan or reader who spent 2 minutes on wiki after reading the issue know that traditionally, Volthoom is the entity that powers Power Ring's (the evil Green lantern of Earth-3/the antimatter universe) power ring. In the classic earth 3 version of the CSA(Crime Syndicate of America) he's a monk who give Power Ring the ring while in the updated antimatter universe version of the team Volthoom seems to be some sort of magical entity actually living within the ring itself.

Now we have a new Volthoom. Volthoom is the "first lantern" created by the guardians. He's seemingly more powerful than they are and possibly quite mad. What's everyone think about this? Are you glad to see the old name being reused? Do you think this Volthoom will ultimately be imprisoned on earth 3 and lead to the creation of Power Ring? or will this Volthoom remain a separate entity entirely? In any case I certainly just got a lot more interested in the current run on Green Lantern.

FanofUltraman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By FanofUltraman

That really was an interesting twist. I have a disappointing feeling that Johns is just recycling the name, but he did post a picture of Power Ring before the issue was released. Since DC isn't doing multiple versions of characters anymore I'd like to see how this pans out, especially with another Earth-3 villain already revealed in Batman....

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By colonyofcells

I prefer dc just reboot the crime syndicate into the main earth so the crime syndicate is easier to use. We already have an Owlman on the main earth so I am ok with Power Ring also being on the main earth. Ultraman can be somebody who got energy powers and other powers from kryptonite.

FanofUltraman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FanofUltraman

@colonyofcells: That would be alright but they've always been alternate universe characters and there's a certain Earth after Earth 2 that would be left empty!

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SmashBrawler

Eh, I thought it was a bit too random.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be awesome to have a local crime syndicate, we could still have earth three. The syndicate could simply replace the antimatter group. We don't really need an antimatter universe. Anti-monitor can still be around as a negative function of the main universe like ying and yang. I hope this leads to the Grey lantern Corps.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By colonyofcells

I prefer to also erase the anti matter universe and just reboot the good monitors, the evil monitors, qward weaponers, etc. into the main universe. There can also be lots of evil monitors or anti monitors. A new Power Ring on main earth can serve Volthoom or the anti monitor. I think the anti monitor should have his own black lanterns to replace the old shadow demons.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colonyofcells: Haw about Grey lanterns instead of shadow demons. Turn the 3rd army into grey lanterns. A little more free will but still enslaved but capable of individual thought but no emotion. Make is so only certain people can be enslaved.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By colonyofcells

Armies with personalities are always more interesting than zombies. The star trek borgs have armies who are part of a hive mind and I am also interested in hive minds made out of colony life forms. Emotions are pretty common in the animal kingdom and only robots like Manhunters don't have emotions, maybe. Star trek also has vulcans who are not too emotional but are smart.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colonyofcells:

Since Lois is not dating Superman anymore, and is pretty much out of the picture, now would be the perfect time to turn her into SuperWoman, or they could use her sister again. Even Zoom could replace Johnny quick, or they could both be part of the same experiment. They can make up a counterpart to Cyborg and the new members. The only real issue come down to Superman, but they could make a up a meta for him or use an updated Bizzarro.

FanofUltraman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FanofUltraman

@drgnx: They still have the antimatter universe, Hal and Sinestro visited it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FanofUltraman:

Did they? When? <.<"

Ironhawk22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 158

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Ironhawk22

@colonyofcells said:

I prefer dc just reboot the crime syndicate into the main earth so the crime syndicate is easier to use. We already have an Owlman on the main earth so I am ok with Power Ring also being on the main earth. Ultraman can be somebody who got energy powers and other powers from kryptonite.

As much as I like the CSA, I don't think it's a good idea. I feel the CSA work better in doses, and it'd be weird to have them on the main earth.

Ironhawk22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 158

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Ironhawk22

@drgnx said:

@colonyofcells:

Since Lois is not dating Superman anymore, and is pretty much out of the picture, now would be the perfect time to turn her into SuperWoman, or they could use her sister again. Even Zoom could replace Johnny quick, or they could both be part of the same experiment. They can make up a counterpart to Cyborg and the new members. The only real issue come down to Superman, but they could make a up a meta for him or use an updated Bizzarro.

I think if there was to be a Earth-1 Ultraman it could be a rebooted Cyborg Superman. Clark(CSA) and Hank were both astronauts who got their powers in space.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By colonyofcells

I think Crime Syndicate on the main earth is ok. We already have Owlman and now we have Volthoom who can be used to help create the main earth Power Ring. A new Zoom is coming so Zoom can help create the main earth Crime Syndicate. The Johnny Quick name can continue to be used for the super hero. The superwoman name should be reserved for a kryptonian lady like the pre-flashpoint Karsta Wor Ul. For evil amazons, maybe can use names like Nubia, Artemis, etc. DC also has a super hero Gary Concord Ultra Man so the main earth Crime Syndicate can use Hank Henshaw, Bizarro, etc.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ironhawk22 said:

@drgnx said:

@colonyofcells:

I think if there was to be a Earth-1 Ultraman it could be a rebooted Cyborg Superman. Clark(CSA) and Hank were both astronauts who got their powers in space.

Maybe, but I was thinking Bizzarro and Ultraman both have something in common in terms of having some weakness that are opposite to Superman's. It is really a weak connection though. Honestly I would prefer if they didn't combine any of these rogues.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.