The future of Ion? (Spoilers)

#1 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

ok, first big spoiler out of the way...

Sodam Yat will become Ion...

yes, i know you're all disappointed and truthfully i think it sucks myself...

here is the article that was forwarded onto my inbox this morning...

The future looks bright for young Sodam Yat. Rumours abound that he will become the new Ion in the near future, replacing Kyle Rayner, who is tied up in the current Countdown event. The cover of the upcoming Tales of the Sinestro Corps Presents: Ion #1 portrays both Kyle and Sodam reaching with outstretched hands for a floating Green Lantern ring. The Ion rumours come from the fact that Sodam is competing with Kyle on the cover of the Ion special as well as the fact that Sodam is wearing a version of Kyle's Ion uniform in the same image, which you can see to the left.

If he does, in fact, become the next Ion, Sodam will more than likely become the focus of the Green Lantern Corps comic and take up the position as the Torchbearer of the Green Lantern Corps in place of the Parallax tainted Kyle Rayner. This position almost guarantees more exposure for the relatively new character and should cement his claim as the Ultimate Green Lantern.

in my opinion everyone is placing too much emphasis on this "ultimate Green Lantern" that Sodam is supposed to be...

so he'll inherit the Ion symbiote... so what? Kyle's already been there and done that, does that make him the ultimate Green Lantern as well as the Torchbarer?

at the moment it just seems that Green Lantern has become a bit of a joke in the DCU and now with the Alpha Lantern project underway and the Red and Pink lanterns set to make a full appearance in the next few issues, i honestly don't know what to think about the comic anymore.

M

#2 Posted by GL Bertron (3708 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still gonna read them, but this seems kinda like a cry for change that has turned into a blugenting for new fan base.

#3 Posted by Oluf_Von_Host_Museum (84677 posts) - - Show Bio

Good I hate Kyle.

#4 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio

Kyle doesnt need to be Ion to be a good character so it doesnt matter to me.

#5 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

Kyles a brilliant character, he's the reason Ion was around, and now they've completely changed the entire universe again so that everyone will fall for "Sodam Yat"...

some Sodamised the GLC!!!!

M

#6 Posted by GL Bertron (3708 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"Kyles a brilliant character, he's the reason Ion was around, and now they've completely changed the entire universe again so that everyone will fall for "Sodam Yat"...some Sodam*ised* the GLC!!!!M"

Whan, whan, whan.

#7 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio

They have to push the new character. Same way they pushed Kyle when he was new and they made him more powerful than the Lanterns who came before him. They should just focus on the Lanterns' personality and leave them all at the same power level, yet accomplishing things in a different fashion. They do plenty of that now but that's all they should do. I dont think they needed the Ion character at all.

#8 Posted by The Ion (686 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"Kyles a brilliant character, he's the reason Ion was around, and now they've completely changed the entire universe again so that everyone will fall for "Sodam Yat"... some Sodam*ised* the GLC!!!! M"

AGREE screw whoever this guy is to me Kyle is the only one who should be Ion and he is my fav of all the green lanterns and i hope these rumors aren't true

#9 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

The Ion says:

"Methos says:
"Kyles a brilliant character, he's the reason Ion was around, and now they've completely changed the entire universe again so that everyone will fall for "Sodam Yat"... some Sodam*ised* the GLC!!!! M"

AGREE screw whoever this guy is to me Kyle is the only one who should be Ion and he is my fav of all the green lanterns and i hope these rumors aren't true"

Kyle is my favourite too. I've been reading the volume 3 GL comics from 48, 50 and so on where Kyle first became a Green Lantern. Got every appearance in Volume 3, and soon volume 4 and GLC. :)

#10 Posted by The Ion (686 posts) - - Show Bio

Lord Shazam says:

"The Ion says:
"Methos says:
AGREE screw whoever this guy is to me Kyle is the only one who should be Ion and he is my fav of all the green lanterns and i hope these rumors aren't true"
Kyle is my favourite too. I've been reading the volume 3 GL comics from 48, 50 and so on where Kyle first became a Green Lantern. Got every appearance in Volume 3, and soon volume 4 and GLC. :)"

yea i'm trying to get more comics of him too and i love his character and i really like it how he was ion so no to who ever this bas@#$% is lol

#11 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

I like both Hal and Kyle... and while i do agree that Ion was necessary for them to bring back the Corps, i'm completely against it being used as a normal plot device, especially forced on someone like Sodam Yat who we know next to nothing about.

M

#12 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"I like both Hal and Kyle... and while i do agree that Ion was necessary for them to bring back the Corps, i'm completely against it being used as a normal plot device, especially forced on someone like Sodam Yat who we know next to nothing about.M"

maybe we can start a revolt and make sure Kyle or Hal or even...no, Just one of them will do.

#13 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

to be honest i'm going to wait and see what the Alpha-Lantern project is...

rumor is that it will end the Corps war, and has a major plotline involving John Stewart... so im waiting for that to finish before making assumptions about Hal, Kyle and Sodamy

M

#14 Posted by The Ion (686 posts) - - Show Bio

i really hate it how they go to some random new guy out of nowhere i mean kyle was new but he didn't become Ion right away thats one of the thing i really hate

#15 Posted by Hagane Enna (7450 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sensing Methos is having a fanboy fit ;-)

#16 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotta be honest methos (and apparently Ion too), I think you're just mad that Kyle aint the big man anymore. He's had his turn, let Sodam play, coach.
Post Edited:2007-10-15 18:26:23

#17 Posted by The Ion (686 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"Gotta be honest methos (and apparently Ion too), I think you're just mad that Kyle aint the big man anymore. He's had his turn, let Sodam play, coach.
Post Edited:2007-10-15 18:26:23"

i like th orignal better like with venom eddie brock is the only one so thats what i always think. When they build up a character and add power to them or a symbiote then someone else gets what they built for that character for a long time just ruins it for me

#18 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

i'll admit, i really don't like Sodam, i think he's a really built up character that is just going to let the storyline down...

M

#19 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

oh god...

Mongul with a Sinestro Corps ring...

why do i have a feeling this is going to suck severely...

M

#20 Posted by The Ion (686 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#21 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"oh god...Mongul with a Sinestro Corps ring...why do i have a feeling this is going to suck severely...M"

brings back memories of one of Kyles first battles, when Mongul fired a yellow balst at Kyle and Kyle blocked it and mongul was like WTF! :0

#22 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"i'll admit, i really don't like Sodam, i think he's a really built up character that is just going to let the storyline down... M"

I think you should give him a chance before you get on his case. Let him get some comics under him so he can show you what he's about. THEN hate him all you want.

The Ion says:

"i like th orignal better like with venom eddie brock is the only one so thats what i always think. When they build up a character and add power to them or a symbiote then someone else gets what they built for that character for a long time just ruins it for me"

Just because something's original doesn't mean anything that comes later is crap. Like I said, give the man a chance.

Methos says:

"oh god... Mongul with a Sinestro Corps ring... why do i have a feeling this is going to suck severely... M"

Cyborg Superman's b---- has returned and got himself a ring?

#23 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio
"I think you should give him a chance before you get on his case. Let him get some comics under him so he can show you what he's about. THEN hate him all you want."

Maybe...

Buckshot says:

"Just because something's original doesn't mean anything that comes later is crap. Like I said, give the man a chance."I'll give him a chance...Buckshot says:
"Cyborg Superman's b---- has returned *and* got himself a ring?"

Yup... it's gonna suck lol

M

#24 Posted by GL Bertron (3708 posts) - - Show Bio

If Sodom becomes the Ultimate Green Lantern then aren't their days coming to a close?

#25 Posted by The Ion (686 posts) - - Show Bio

GL Bertron says:

"If Sodom becomes the Ultimate Green Lantern then aren't their days coming to a close?"

why do you say that?

#26 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

GL Bertron says:

"If Sodom becomes the Ultimate Green Lantern then aren't their days coming to a close?"

that was the prophecy...

but it's already been broken as Sodam was supposed to die in the battle of Mogo...

he survived then... the net big battle in between Mogo and Rannxx

M

#27 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure if this is the latest Variant cover, or simply replacing the issue Solicitations...

but yeah, Sodam Yat as Ion

M

#28 Posted by Copy (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"Not sure if this is the latest Variant cover, or simply replacing the issue Solicitations... but yeah, Sodam Yat as Ion M"

you sure, cause i think i see a ring on him

#29 Posted by The Ion (686 posts) - - Show Bio

Copy says:

"Methos says:
"Not sure if this is the latest Variant cover, or simply replacing the issue Solicitations... but yeah, Sodam Yat as Ion M"
you sure, cause i think i see a ring on him"
#30 Posted by The Ion (686 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"I do as well... but thats the artists fault... that's definitely the Ion uniform, not a GL one M"

maybe just wondering cause a ring can make any kind of clothing and if he is the Ion wouldn't he have the stars on him to?

#31 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

I do as well...

but thats the artists fault...

that's definitely the Ion uniform, not a GL one

M

#32 Posted by The Ion (686 posts) - - Show Bio

Well i'm going to try to give this guy a chance but i have feeling i'm only going to accept kyle as ion

#33 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

Ion's uniform changes...

it might have been the starfield was generated by the Starheart not Ion, and Ion just gave Kyle access to it...

M

#34 Posted by The Ion (686 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"Grrrr.... M"

why is it when you and i talk about green lanterns you end up mad?

#35 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

Grrrr....

M

#36 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

How is Ion different from the other GL's now. I know Ion was neart omnipotent for one reason or another, but I thought it was because he had the combined power of all the lanterns. What is his M.O. now

#37 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

Sling Shot says:

"How is Ion different from the other GL's now. I know Ion was neart omnipotent for one reason or another, but I thought it was because he had the combined power of all the lanterns. What is his M.O. now"

He's a Symbiote spit... extremely strong and durable... capable of weilding OA'n green power without a power ring or battery...

M

The Ion says:

"why is it when you and i talk about green lanterns you end up mad?"

Not mad.. just pissed off about how they ruined so many good characters, killed off one of my favorites and fked over a lot of fan's doing something that anyone else would have done ten times more neatly.

M

#38 Posted by GL Bertron (3708 posts) - - Show Bio

You never know Methos, this could be a way to expand the GL library by adding a title and plugging in a new character under an old title. Could be good news for GL fans, of course it could suck big time too.

#39 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

and the GL universe needs expanding anymore?

so far the universe includes

Green Lantern Corps

Sinestro Corps

Alpha Lantern Project

Zamorran Corps

Controller Corps (Red Lantern Corps)

Blue Lantern Corps (Hope but masters unknown)

and ontop of that we have two bug's (Symi...symbio... sorry) that have been around since the beginning of time...

seriously, do we need any more expansion?

M

#40 Posted by GL Bertron (3708 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"and the GL universe needs expanding anymore?so far the universe includesGreen Lantern CorpsSinestro CorpsAlpha Lantern ProjectZamorran CorpsController Corps (Red Lantern Corps)Blue Lantern Corps (Hope but masters unknown)and ontop of that we have two bug's (Symi...symbio... sorry) that have been around since the beginning of time...seriously, do we need any more expansion?M"

Good point, time to start killing the useless characters and maybe combine a few back down.

#41 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

definitely...

there are too many now, especially if the other corps all have the same numbers...

The GL Corps = well over 10,000 now

The Sinestro Corps - Sin's keeping it at 3,600 for some reason...

Alpha Lantern project - unknown

Zamorran Corps - Said to be equal to the GL Corps so over 10,000

Controller corps - Said to be equal to the GL Corps so over 10,000

Blue Lantern Corps - Unknown

Symbi... Symbio... - Two

so we have definitely over 33,602 people with powers equal to a green lantern or greater currently running round the DCU...

just to give people an idea of what they're facing, thats over 33,602 that can kick the crap out of Superman with relative ease

===============================================================================================================================

M

#42 Posted by GL Bertron (3708 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"definitely...there are too many now, especially if the other corps all have the same numbers...The GL Corps = well over 10,000 nowThe Sinestro Corps - Sin's keeping it at 3,600 for some reason...Alpha Lantern project - unknownZamorran Corps - Said to be equal to the GL Corps so over 10,000Controller corps - Said to be equal to the GL Corps so over 10,000Blue Lantern Corps - UnknownSymbi... Symbio... - Twoso we have definitely over 33,602 people with powers equal to a green lantern or greater currently running round the DCU...just to give people an idea of what they're facing, thats over 33,602 that can kick the crap out of Superman with relative ease===============================================================================================================================M"

You say that like it is a bad thing.

#43 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

lol, i just think thats a stupid amount of people with "The most powerful weapon in the universe"

M

#44 Posted by GL Bertron (3708 posts) - - Show Bio

True, it is a bit of overkill. Maybe it will play out to a phenominal finish.

#45 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

i bloody well hope so...

if there's another "Emerald Twilight" with this lot, the lone survivor is going to kick the crap out of the entire multiverse with both hands behind his back lol

M

#46 Posted by GL Bertron (3708 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"i bloody well hope so...if there's another "Emerald Twilight" with this lot, the lone survivor is going to kick the crap out of the entire multiverse with both hands behind his back lolM"

True that, and the first person to gain the power of all the Lanterns is gonna be a god. WIf they are gonna be good or evil of course could be interesting.

#47 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey methos what other 9 rules do you think the guardians have made?

I only know that the first one is that they can now kill. I also know that we'll see them in the alpha corps

#48 Posted by Planewalker (325 posts) - - Show Bio

for me kyle is kyle and ion is ion so it does't really mather but kyle is still one of the best out there

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.