Follow

Green Lantern

Concept » Green Lantern appears in 2504 issues.

A Green Lantern is an officer of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps, who have the ability to overcome great fear with the might of willpower. They possess power rings capable of creating constructs characterized by their will and strength to use it. Each Green Lantern is given a Sector of the Universe to protect and it is their priority to suppress any threat against their sector.

Superhero Movies That Could've Been: Jack Black As Green Lantern

• 84 results
    No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

You maniacs were quite keen on finding out details about that SUPERMAN movie that almost starred Nicolas Cage so, now that the GREEN LANTERN movie’s home video release approaches, I figured it’d be fun to look at the time Jack Blackalmost played the “ringslinger.” So let’s wind the clocks back to that bygone year of 2004. Ironically enough, Kevin Smith had previously been offered the opportunity to pen a GL script, but he reportedly turned it down because he figured his sensibilities didn’t quite align with the project. By ’04, the studio had reconceived the project and was looking to spin it as a light comedy akin to the loose movie adaptation of Dark Horse’s THE MASK that had been a smash hit ten years earlier.

Jack DID play a superhero at one point, at least.
    Jack DID play a superhero at one point, at least.

So who did they seek out to execute that reinterpretation? Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

== TEASER ==

Well, the guy who played Triumph, anyway. Robert Smigel had a prolific career as a writer for SNL and LATE NIGHT WITH CONAN O’BRIEN, and he’d done some material that specifically parlayed into this particular gig. Not only had he created the innuendo-laden superhero parody THE AMBIGUOUSLY GAY DUO, he’d also famously “pooped on” STAR WARS fans waiting in line for the first showing of ATTACK OF THE CLONES for weeks ahead of time. He not only had an understanding of this particular area of pop culture, but also a willingness to “take the piss out of it” (as they’d say across the pond.)

Smigel had an alter ego of his own.
    Smigel had an alter ego of his own.

Smigel’s vision for a comedic GREEN LANTERN movie was to riff on how the power ring didn’t have to be worn by only one specific hero; it could be wielded by anybody with enough demonstrable bravery. Thus, instead of Guy Gardner being selected as the “alternate GL,” the power ring would actually pick Jud Plato, a slobby IKEA employee, after the guy demonstrated his mastery of fear by eating coyote brains on America’s true arena of bravery - - FEAR FACTOR.

No Caption Provided

Jud would prove to be an utter disgrace to the title, using his ring to make constructs of elves to get household chores done and even a duplicate Superman to essentially do all his super-heroics while he just kicked back and watched. Interestingly enough, Smigel’s conceit was to set this in a faithful recreation of the mythos, with the Guardians and other Corpsmen being Jud’s straight men because their characterizations were true to the comics.

Around this time, Jack Black was being actively courted to play Jud in this adaptation and, with that casting in mind, you can pretty easily imagine how this flick would’ve played on screen. Though, as he confirms in this press interview, once Smigel’s script leaked to the internet and word leaked out about his casting, fandom backlash proved so hostile that the whole project was taken down. There was a period where the studio was thinking of changing the whole project up to feature a new character instead of GL but Smigel revealed in a later VANITY FAIR interview that he stuck to his guns and insisted that the joke wouldn’t work as well without the angle of it sending up a real, pre-established property.

In the same interview, though, Smigel admits that he can totally see now why this take on GREEN LANTERN wouldn’t have worked, as he’s a huge Charlie Brown fan and he would’ve reacted the same way to an iconoclastic take on PEANUTS. Thus, the project was put back into development as a serious movie and that eventually evolved into the GREEN LANTERN movie we saw this summer.

AN INTERESTING ADDENDUM: The thought of doing GL as comedy may have gone back even farther than this, as Eddie Murphy was supposedly in consideration to play Green Lantern some time prior to Black’s involvement. Whether he would’ve been playing Jud Plato, Hal Jordan or John Stewart is unclear, although Common was actually cast as Stewart in the aborted JUSTICE LEAGUE movie and he was only a few days away from shooting before the project was cancelled due to the Writers' Strike.

jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By jubilee042

niceslthough it would have been funny to watch mick as superman or jack as the ringslinger

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By They Killed Cap!

Don't wanna be rude but didn't this or something like this get posted a few weeks ago?
    Zaklops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Zaklops

who here thinks John stewart should be in the next Green Lantern as Hal's partner/replacement. 

BTW I think Will Smith would play an excellent John Stewart.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Gambit1024

Jack Black would've been better than Ryan Reynolds, imo. 

And Kevin Smith's Green Lantern? Oh the constructs that man would think up, lmao.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dernman
    @Zaklops said:

who here thinks John stewart should be in the next Green Lantern as Hal's partner/replacement.  BTW I think Will Smith would play an excellent John Stewart.

Since they totally butchered Hal Jordan they could either go with another actor or go with another GL. 
    If they go with another GL I hope it would be more then one.   GL's now have partners so we could have John and Kyle, Guy and Kyle, or John and Guy. If they recast Hal it could be Hal and one of the others mentioned. 

P.S. I could just imagine Jack Black using his ring to start a rock band going didlle doodoo didle dooo aaaaahhahhaaaaaaaa ROCK AND ROLL!   

P.S.S. Not Will Smith please no
    Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Good lord O_o

Len2487

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Len2487
    @Gambit1024 said:
    Jack Black would've been better than Ryan Reynolds, imo.   

this is true.
    Wattup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Wattup
    @Zaklops said:
    who here thinks John stewart should be in the next Green Lantern as Hal's partner/replacement.  BTW I think Will Smith would play an excellent John Stewart.
    I think this past GL movie SHOULD have been a team movie with actors playing Hal, John and Guy Gardner.
    perry_411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By perry_411

The Jack Black movie couldn't have possibly been worse than the dump factor that was GL. It was just bad. The guy goes to OA to ask for permission to defend Earth? No janitor asks permission to sweep up dirt, or I dunno SAVE THE PLANET YOU LIVE ON.  
    It would have been very easy to not make the movie suck. We'll see a reboot in 5-7 years that will not include an overrated actor, playing a role with poor dialogue.  They made GL's path the Hulks, instead of Batmans. Why is DC so poor at getting their movies right? If GL wasn't so bad, we'd still remember that Superman is a deadbeat dad. GL has to go John Stewart with Michael K. Williams.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dernman
    @perry_411 said:
    The Jack Black movie couldn't have possibly been worse than the dump factor that was GL. It was just bad. The guy goes to OA to ask for permission to defend Earth? No janitor asks permission to sweep up dirt, or I dunno SAVE THE PLANET YOU LIVE ON.  It would have been very easy to not make the movie suck. We'll see a reboot in 5-7 years that will not include an overrated actor, playing a role with poor dialogue.  They made GL's path the Hulks, instead of Batmans. Why is DC so poor at getting their movies right? If GL wasn't so bad, we'd still remember that Superman is a deadbeat dad. GL has to go John Stewart with Michael K. Williams.
    I like Michael K Williams but I don't see him as John Stewart.  I don't think  Ryan Reynolds is over rated but he was the wrong choice for Hal Jordan.
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Eyz
    @Zaklops said:
    Casting Will Smith to play John, just because he's, well, black and super popular, is kinda stupid...
    I mean, there's thousands of great and more suited actors to play John Stewart! (<- my favorite GL!) 

I dunno, Denzel Washington for example's got a better charisma and has played roles closer to John's personality. Calm, serious and always in control... I don't want to see Will Smith making video clips tie-in on MTV rapping about what's it like being a Green Lantern!....
    perry_411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By perry_411
    @Dernman: Who do you see as John Stewart? Michael K. is one of the few younger black actors with epic credits to his name, from OMAR COMING to Chalky White.  What was Ryan Reynolds good in? 
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#13  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @Gambit1024 said:
    Jack Black would've been better than Ryan Reynolds, imo.  And Kevin Smith's Green Lantern? Oh the constructs that man would think up, lmao.
    .......no......just no........
    dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dernman
    @perry_411 said:
    @Dernman: Who do you see as John Stewart? Michael K. is one of the few younger black actors with epic credits to his name, from OMAR COMING to Chalky White.  What was Ryan Reynolds good in? 
    I would need to give it some thought the three people I think of off of my head are too old for the role. You don't need epic credits in my opinion. Some of the best casting has been done when they didn't go for the big name. 

There were a few of movies Ryan was good in. It just so happens that the movies sucked but it wasn't because of him. 

@Eyz said:
    @Zaklops said:
    Casting Will Smith to play John, just because he's, well, black and super popular, is kinda stupid... I mean, there's thousands of great and more suited actors to play John Stewart! (<- my favorite GL!)   I dunno, Denzel Washington for example's got a better charisma and has played roles closer to John's personality. Calm, serious and always in control... I don't want to see Will Smith making video clips tie-in on MTV rapping about what's it like being a Green Lantern!....
    I think Denzel is to old for the role.
    elayem98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By elayem98

hahahahaaaa and people get mad for the casting of ryan reynolds when it could have been jack black!

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gambit1024
    @Avenging-X-Bolt said:
    @Gambit1024 said:
    Jack Black would've been better than Ryan Reynolds, imo.  And Kevin Smith's Green Lantern? Oh the constructs that man would think up, lmao.
    lmao To which part?
    The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#17  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

oh, wooooow!

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#18  Edited By The Impersonator
    No Caption Provided
    BigRed125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BigRed125

I hated the Green Lantern movie to begin with but if I a Green Lantern movie staring Jack Black had come out I probably would've lost all faith in DC's ability to put out good movies.  I love Jack Black but I would've felt very betrayed if he was the Green Lantern.  And as a side note, I think that Ryan Reynolds was a good choice to play Hal.  Personally I think it was the less than stellar writing that messed things up.  I mean there was no time for any character development to even remotely occur.  And there were moments in the movie where you could tell that Reynolds was trying his hardest to be faithful to the character. 

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PrinceIMC

Thank freaking God this didn't ever happen.

Zaklops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zaklops
    @Eyz
    Well many though Will Smith would be a good Green Lantern, I guess if want a better choice thats always Terence Howard but thats seems unlikely (i.e. Iron Man 2)
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Would have been a much better movie and probably enjoyed by more people for the fact that it wasn't trying to take itself serious. At least the Jack Black Green Lantern would have been intentionally off the mark. All the inconsistency would have made sense, but what we got was a half assed piece of shit, that WB/DC were just hoping the fans would over look because it wasn't a Batman or Superman movie.

aznan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By aznan

No interest what so ever in the movie that is out, but would gladly have seen the Jack Black version. The concept seems ripe for comedy and a perfect fit for Black's laid back persona.

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By agent9149

id be happier with jack black as green lantern...Ryan Renolds............no thank you

Morris chestnut perhaps could do it now

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By Trodorne

Another comedy spin of a comic series that some people still forget is the green hornet movie with Seth Rogan. the movie was good by itself but as something meant to be part of the green hornet universe it was kind of painful. Film his a whole other genre from comics and can be done in any direction. though we the fans would string up directors for allowing such drastic or stupid changes to our favorite franchises (Eg: Michael Bay) its important to separate movies from what we read in books.

GLforHIRE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GLforHIRE

as prolly the biggest will smith and biggest green lantern fan, i have to say he wouldnt make a really good john stewart....his acting skill is levels greater than ryan renolds and probably alot closer to denzel than people give him credit (got watch pursuit of happiness, i am legend and 7 pounds) but I'd give it to someone like Michael Jai White (spawn) who is a dark kind of serious guy who can rule alil if needed...or Lazs Alonso (stomp the yard)..by adding will smith you risk it being too close to MIB with a ring(which their making another of anyway)
    dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dernman
    @GLforHIRE said:
    as prolly the biggest will smith and biggest green lantern fan, i have to say he wouldnt make a really good john stewart....his acting skill is levels greater than ryan renolds and probably alot closer to denzel than people give him credit (got watch pursuit of happiness, i am legend and 7 pounds) but I'd give it to someone like Michael Jai White (spawn) who is a dark kind of serious guy who can rule alil if needed...or Lazs Alonso (stomp the yard)..by adding will smith you risk it being too close to MIB with a ring(which their making another of anyway)
    Michael Jai White is a good choice for a comic character. Just not John Stewart. He would make a better Luke Cage.
    CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CapFanboy
    @Dernman: Terry Crews should play Luke Cage
    Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue

Having seen the Ryan Reynolds version, I'd actually prefer to see the Jack Black one.

At least Jack Black wasn't playing an existing character. Jud wasn't an attempt at being Hal for the dumbed down masses. Jud was just honestly dumb.

And since people would have low expectations of it anyway, it wouldn't have disappointed as much as the actual GL movie did.

GLforHIRE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GLforHIRE
    @Dernman said:

@GLforHIRE said:

Michael Jai White is a good choice for a comic character. Just not John Stewart. He would make a better Luke Cage.

I agree he'd be a great luke cage also but i like his as green lantern since he has been proven to pull off the serious dark "i'll destroy this planet if i have to, to save earth" grittyness that john would need to make a good movie. 

and terry crew hasnt shown he can pull off a serious role yet so he could only be luke cage if its in like an avengers movie where hes a bad ass B role kinda like in expandables....i've been a fan of him since his old battle dome days and i still don't know if he can be a serious leading guys.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By dernman
    @CapFanboy said:
    yeah he would be good also. My only problem is I have seen him in to many comedies and would have a hard time shaking that.
    CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CapFanboy
    @Dernman said:
    @CapFanboy said:
    yeah he would be good also. My only problem is I have seen him in to many comedies and would have a hard time shaking that.
    That's what would take him from good to awesome! Luke's a funny but tough character, Terry would play that brilliantly!
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @Gambit1024 said:
    @Avenging-X-Bolt said:
    @Gambit1024 said:
    lmao To which part?
    the better than ryan reynolds part. i mean ryan was bad but damn......
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Gambit1024
    @Avenging-X-Bolt: Hey, the movie would've been a helluva lot better if Reynolds wasn't the lead. At least Jack Black would've entertained the audience. The script wasn't that faithful to the books anyway, so it's not like they'd care about how Hal looked like in the comics. 
    Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Kal'smahboi

Proof that the GL movie could have been worse.

Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

As I said before I liked the movie. It didn't make up for the fact that we have to wait for Deadpool, but I liked it. Now for a sequel I'd want Guy, no I DEMAND Guy to be in the sequel!!!!! 

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37  Edited By leokearon

I remmeber when this was announced I really wanted to see it

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By Decept-O

Why did they even approach Green Lantern as a comedy in the first place? What are people in Hollywood smoking and injecting? Good Lord. For all the creators who have dreams of turning their creations into movies, regardless of genre, it must be a nightmare, because it is obviously clear most movie studios and Hollyweird execs are way out of touch.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By cattlebattle

Jack Black >>> Ryan Reynolds

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#40  Edited By Kairan1979

After I've seen Green Lantern, I think even Jack Black is better.

keith71_98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 195

User Lists: 32

#41  Edited By keith71_98

Jack Black is one of the most annoying actors in Hollywood. He would be one of the few reasons that I would actually skip a superhero movie!
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I've heard before that Jack Black was being considered for the role of GL but I never once conceived how bad this project could have been with what I have read here far as script ideas go! Geez, what an abortion of a film that would have been.  I think even Shaq's rendition of Steel was more worthy than that!

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @Gambit1024 said:
    @Avenging-X-Bolt: Hey, the movie would've been a helluva lot better if Reynolds wasn't the lead. At least Jack Black would've entertained the audience. The script wasn't that faithful to the books anyway, so it's not like they'd care about how Hal looked like in the comics. 
    i agree for the most part. but i seriously doubt Jack Black would have done any better than Ryan Reynolds. Jack is louder than Ryan...not funnier. but like you said the script was mostly the problem and how Blake freakin Lively's ass got into that movie i'll never know
    Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Sammo21

Technically we still have this problem: people who have no idea what comic fans want making unpopular decisions no matter what.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By craigbo180

Nacho Libre isn't a superhero. It's a bad movie.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I heard someone's idea about the movie, since GL is a character that is based on the person's courage, creativity, concentration, etc.  And not physicality.  This Jack Black GL movie could have been about showing he is a hero even though he doesn't seem like your natural choice.
    On the surface it sounds like a bad idea, but if this was made it might not have been that bad of a movie.
    Jack Black doesn't act or look like a superhero, but when the ring chooses him he becomes the world's greatest hero, the Green Lantern.  Could have been interesting.

SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#47  Edited By SuperXAsh

lol, Jack Black's a better choice than Ryan Reynolds??? LOL, obviously some of you haven't heard of this till now.  

Cracked did a great article on this and other thankfully unmade comic book movies (and most of them are, ironically, DC Comics-related). And it's frikkin' terrible. Trust me my fellow nerds.... we dodged a bullet. It would be like Catwoman all over again.

xanthiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By xanthiss

Its not like the Green Lantern movie was any good 8 years later. The current version was lacking all over that film. Ryan Reynolds was a fine actor, but the script itself was crap. If they had all this redo time on the script it should have made sense. 

sentryman555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By sentryman555

It reminds me of this old Daffy Duck episode I saw where he actually became a green lantern lol

Misterwizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50  Edited By Misterwizz

Jack Black as GL would have been terrible. Regardless of casting the box office for the film wouldn't have been any different. Jack Black is proving to be risky business when it comes to box office. I mean look at Gulliver Travel's.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.