Follow

Green Lantern

Concept » Green Lantern appears in 2501 issues.

A Green Lantern is an officer of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps, who have the ability to overcome great fear with the might of willpower. They possess power rings capable of creating constructs characterized by their will and strength to use it. Each Green Lantern is given a Sector of the Universe to protect and it is their priority to suppress any threat against their sector.

Sinestro's Ring

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By batshrine

So I was thinking, the Green Lantern ring is powered by willpower. And other rings are powered via emotional spectrum.

Red - Anger

Orange - Greed

Yellow - Fear

Green - Will

Blue - Hope

Violet - Compassion

Pink - Love

Those are all emotions felt by the bearer, except for Yellow. And honestly it does not make sense.

It clearly isn't how much fear the ring bearer has, so it must be on how much fear the ringbearer induces. And if that's the case the ring should only work when around other living beings that are scared of the ring bearer (or maybe even scared in general). So it shouldn't work when the bearer is alone (or at very least it should be much weaker), and it definitely shouldn't be affective against characters that don't feel fear (especially from the ring bearer). So whats up with that?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

I always thought they were based off of will as well only specially "tailored" to amplify fear or frightening constructs.....I'm just taking a guess though

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By 2chimcha3

Being worthy of a yellow ring has always confused me since Kyle mastered fear, by being in fear rather than instilling it if I recall. The way I see it, if one has the power to instill fear, he/she is worthy. Green Lanterns that feel fear are prone to getting a yellow ring.

EDIT: I also agree with what @sog7dc said.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ever heard the phrase 'takes one to know one'? It's relevant here: In order for one to be able to instill fear, one has to know it. Intimately. One has to live in fear, understand it in order to reproduce it in others. Look at Batman, whose been lined up for a Yellow Lantern Ring on multiple occasions, one of which is coming up soon. He doesn't just CAUSE fear: He uses a symbol HE'S afraid of to do it; bats, because it's what he knows.

Batman is built around all the fears Bruce Wayne experienced that night with his parents: The fear that at any moment, something dark and terrible could leap from the shadows and shatter your world. The fear that the world isn't a safe or fair place, and no matter how hard you try to escape it, you're never beyond the reach of the dark. He's turned these fears into Batman that the criminals of the world would know them as well as he.

Sinestro is afraid of anarchy, he can't stand the idea of a universe so chaotic that it could take anything from him at any time, similar to Batman. To stop that fear, he took over his world and became a dictator: Absolute order. No mercy for chaos. And because he knows his fear, he inflicts that fear on others: Any moment, Sinestro could burst in and tear your life apart for something you didn't even realize you were doing wrong.

And so on. Each Yellow Lantern is afraid of something, and inflicts that fear on others. They're not weaker when they're alone because there's always their OWN fear to feed off of.

Or maybe SOG7DC is right and it's totally just a warped Green Lantern Ring.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

It makes sense as it is the opposite of will power in the sense that fear is what stops an indivdual from having willpower

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.