Follow

Green Lantern

Concept » Green Lantern appears in 2504 issues.

A Green Lantern is an officer of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps, who have the ability to overcome great fear with the might of willpower. They possess power rings capable of creating constructs characterized by their will and strength to use it. Each Green Lantern is given a Sector of the Universe to protect and it is their priority to suppress any threat against their sector.

Should Hal Jordan and Kyle Rayner still wear masks?

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Captain13

It never made sense to me that any Lantern would wear a mask. Why would Hal be worried about a secret identity when away from Earth? Why does he even retain his test pilot secret identity? It's not like it helps him solve crimes like Clark's job or Dick's job. Before you say that his mask lets him live normally while he's on Earth, rember that John and Guy get by just fine. It Just seems odd to me that Hal and Kyle wear masks. They look cooler and more militaristic without them IMO. And as the GL movie poster shows us, the domino mask doesn't translate well.

Or maybe you're on the other side of the fence, and think that all GLs should wear masks. Why?

Give me your 2 cents.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

OR
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Gambit1024

I could understand why they wouldn't wear masks, but I prefer them. It's just hard to imagine the characters without him. 

I would think its part of the uniform, but Gardner and Stewart don't wear 'em, so that wouldn't make sense. 

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Captain13
    @Gambit1024: I think the masks were originally part of the uniform (for Earth Lanterns) but John and Guy got rid of them.

No Caption Provided
    Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Captain13

bump

GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By GT-Man

No makes them look more BADA$$
    raylenci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By raylenci
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

I like the masked look.

caesarsghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8  Edited By caesarsghost

me too, the masks are iconic.  

I did read a comic just the other day where John and Guy were not wearing masks- the first time that I actually realized they were not wearing them and... gotta say, still like the masks.
    Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Jotham

How else are people gonna know they're superheroes?

sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By sexy_merc

-_-

It explains why Kyle chose to have a mask in the first few issues when he became a Green Lantern. Vaguely, Kyle is a huge comic book fan and him and his then girlfriend, Alexandra wanted to redesign his costume to fit Kyle's personality and create his own identity, which would have been more difficult without one.

As for Hal, I think he wanted to keep it a secret from the people of Coast City early on and eventually it became iconic and he stuck with it.

For the thread, they should keep their masks. They have both become too iconic now.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By King_Saturn
    I like the Masks
    Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Superdork

No GL should wear a mask. They're pointless. But they probably won't go away sadly...

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know this is a three year old topic but I think it was better to relive this topic than create a new one. For me it doesn't make any sense that they would wear masks. Is that a sign of fear? That you fear you will get reveal that you are Green Lantern and that you have safe zone when you are not Green Lantern (which you shouldn't feel as Green Lantern) it can also be fear of your love ones but shouldn't that also be overcome? It seems like you would have more courage if you don't wear a mask and therefor you would be a better Green Lantern.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Really I never understand why Hal still has a mask. Most of his work takes place off world and it seems like most of his big time villains know he's Hal Jordan already; I really don't see the need for him to hide his identity. It makes sense for guys like Superman and Batman, but not so much for Hal as he has very few ties to Earth anyways.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

I think so

1. I think Hal and Kyle both look cooler with them.

2.Hal and Kyle still have loved ones whereas Guy and John don't. What if someone like The Shark or Major Force finds out? Do we really want what happened to Alex Dewitt or Katma Tui to repeat itself with say......Hal's niece or nephew? Or maybe Cowgirl or Tom Kalmaku? Hal being off planet as much as he is puts them in even MORE danger.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Masks all the way.

Sure, it doesn't serve its original purpose anymore (seeing as people call him HAL anyways), but its part of his look.

Avatar image for deadpool_is_better_than_you
    Deadpool_is_better_than_you

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kyle looks cool with his mask but I think Hal should lose it.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

there is no need for the masks

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I disagree. I think the masks are needed for certain purposes. Guy and John are fine with having no secret identity but Hal and Kyle want to keep one. What if they're fighting on earth, people will see and know who they are thus putting their families and friends in danger. Also, its just standard wear. I felt John and Guy always look awkward with the domino masks but it works for Hal and Kyle. They need to keep them and keep their identities secret.

Avatar image for potanicalpardon
    PotanicalPardon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kyle kind-of doesn't wear the mask any more as of recently. Carol too. Unless, it's only for this story arc that they've shown both decidedly remove their masks.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.