School Vance Astro on Green Lantern

#1 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a few questions about Green Lantern to help me understand his powers and his backgrounds.I've read very little Green Lantern\Green Lantern Corps but at random.I've never held on to an arc and just read through it.I'm going to start reading more GL and work my way up to Darkest Night which I believe is over at this point.I didn't read it because I thought I would be lost so i'm going to get some incite on GL and then start reading his books. 

1.How is a Green Lantern picked? I know a strong will makes you a good candidate but who decides to make you a GL? There are other strong willed characters who are not GL's in the DCU. 
2.The other Lantern colors are based on character traits Avarice,Greed,etc.How does one become a Lantern of another color and can someone who was already a Lantern of one color become another? 
3.There are levels in which the Lanterns are powered by the said character trait.Will Power for GL's.How is Will Power measured? Can certain GL's become gain more to become more powerful? 
4.Is there a limit to how many Lantern's can be in each Corps? They are all feeding off the same energy source right? 
5.What type of energy is emitted by a Lantern..can constructs be manipulated?

#2 Edited by EdwardWindsor (14026 posts) - - Show Bio

i know the answer to 2 is you can be a lantern of more than one colour, i think its called a hybrid lantern , hal jordan has been both blue and green at once i think, i maybe worng about perosn and rings but i know for a fact its definetly happened

#3 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@lazystudent said:
" i know the answer to 2 is you can be a lantern of more than one colour, i think its called a hybrid lantern , hal jordan has been both blue and green at once i think, i maybe worng about perosn and rings but i know for a fact its definetly happened "
What is the difference in abilities between Blue and Green Lanterns?
#4 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

1. I believe that it is based off of Will and location from when the Ring becomes available.
2. Its similar to the Green Lantern Ring, but instead of will its based off an emotion. Yes, someone can wield more than one Lantern Ring. Hal Jordan at one time had the Green and Blue Lantern Rings. Someone else had Yellow and Green(their name I can't think of right now).
3. Willpower is just a trait of character. You either have it or you don't. There may be certain instances where a character gains willpower based off a certain situation.
4. There are always 7,200 Green Lanterns at one time. The other Corps don't seem to have quiet as many members. The orange Lantern Corps generally only has one member.
5. A Lantern's energy can be various types of energy, but a strong energy manipulator could manipulate or absorb their energy.

#5 Edited by EdwardWindsor (14026 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro:  none as far as iam aware its what powers their rings which is different
#6 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody said:
" 1. I believe that it is based off of Will and location from when the Ring becomes available. 2. Its similar to the Green Lantern Ring, but instead of will its based off an emotion. Yes, someone can wield more than one Lantern Ring. Hal Jordan at one time had the Green and Blue Lantern Rings. Someone else had Yellow and Green(their name I can't think of right now). 3. Willpower is just a trait of character. You either have it or you don't. There may be certain instances where a character gains willpower based off a certain situation. 4. There are always 7,200 Green Lanterns at one time. The other Corps don't seem to have quiet as many members. The orange Lantern Corps generally only has one member. 5. A Lantern's energy can be various types of energy, but a strong energy manipulator could manipulate or absorb their energy. "
How did Hal become a Blue Lantern?
#7 Posted by Dreadmaster (16776 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @Nobody said:
" 1. I believe that it is based off of Will and location from when the Ring becomes available. 2. Its similar to the Green Lantern Ring, but instead of will its based off an emotion. Yes, someone can wield more than one Lantern Ring. Hal Jordan at one time had the Green and Blue Lantern Rings. Someone else had Yellow and Green(their name I can't think of right now). 3. Willpower is just a trait of character. You either have it or you don't. There may be certain instances where a character gains willpower based off a certain situation. 4. There are always 7,200 Green Lanterns at one time. The other Corps don't seem to have quiet as many members. The orange Lantern Corps generally only has one member. 5. A Lantern's energy can be various types of energy, but a strong energy manipulator could manipulate or absorb their energy. "
How did Hal become a Blue Lantern? "

Hal was a Red Lantern before that and he couldn't get it off manually or he would die so Saint Walker took off his BLue Lantern Ring and slipped it on Hal that caused the red ring to disintegrate and make Hal a Blue Lantern. A blue ring can negate the effects of a red ring and destroy it.
#8 Edited by Dane (10474 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro:
1. The ring's themselves choose Green Lantern, though it was recently revealed that they are guided by the sentient planet Mogo. The planet itself uses its enormous willpower to guide the rings to appropriate persons. They are based on space sector, when the GL in a given space sector dies, the ring will leave him to find a suitable candidate from the same section. This is true of most corps. Green Lantern's are chosen for their ability to overcome fear and maintain their willpower even in the face is overwhelming danger/extreme conditions. GL's are chosen for other attributes though, for example, Kyle Rayner was just an average guy when he was given the ring and didn't have any of the fearlessness typically attributed to Hal Jordan. He was, however, handpicked by the Guardian Ganthet. Once chosen, they are generally considered rookies and don't have the GL symbol on their chest, but a blank white circle. Only after completing training, reciting the oath and recharging their rings at the Central Battery on Oa will the symbol appear on their chests.

2. Firstly, yes a member of a Corps can become a member of another Corps. Hal Jordan has used every ring except Purple, Violet and Black afaik. It depends on the Corps. 

The Sinestro Corps (Yellow, Fear) select those who are able to instill great fear in others. Examples of this can be serial murderers or rapists, a ring even made its way to Batman, though he rejected it.  Scarecrow was deputized during Blackest Night.

Atrocitus' Red Lanterns (Red, Rage) choose people with burning anger and hatred in their heart. The ring will affix itself whether the wielder wants it to or not and will quickly supersede the functions of their hearts. Red rings mostly made their way onto victims of the Sinestro Corps. People they tortured and raped, people who suffered at their hands etc. Red rings have made their way onto numerous Green Lanterns such as Laira, Hal Jordan and Guy Gardner.  Mera was deputized during Blackest Night

The orange light of greed is held only by one person, Larfleeze. Although Lex Luthor was deputized during Blackest Night. He has the power of an entire corps on his own and can create a construct of anyone he has ever killed. However, the central battery he carries with him also corrupts him, so he can never not be greedy while holding it's power. Of course, since he's always greedy he can never give it up either. 

The Blue Lanterns of Hope were made only recently by Ganthet and Sayd who were banished from Oa for feeling emotion. They don't have offensive powers like others corps but have several unique abilities. Their mere presence recharges Green rings, drains Yellow rings, soothes the rage of a Red ring and calms Larfleeze of his usual manic greed. They can create constructs only in the presence of a Green Lantern, as hope without willpower is useless. Wally West was deputized in Blackest Night

The Star Sapphires represent the violet light of Love. As far as I know they're all women. Originally they were an off-shoot of the Guardians who tried to harness (arguably) the most dangerous emotional spectrum. As opposed to the Guardians who show no emotion at all. They recruit people who have great loss and pain in their hearts and fill it with love. Wonder Woman was deputized during Blackest Night.

The enigmatic Indigo Tribe harness the power of Compassion. No mainstream character is a member of the Indigo Tribe and they were only introduced very recently in Blackest Night. They don't have power rings like other Corps but they can emulate the power of any nearby power rings. The Atom was deputized in Blackest Night.

3. The difference between the power of Green Lanterns is often measured in skill at using their ring. They need to practice intentionally drawing willpower without added emotion to make their constructs strong. Sinestro often said that Hal Jordan's constructs were laced with his unfocused anger and thus, were much weaker than his as Sinestro was always calm and in control. Other emotional spectrums depend on how much the user feels that particular emotion. Red rings actually bloodlust their users so that they're permanently enraged, and thus always make powerful constructs. Of course, it is possible to gain greater willpower depending on your frame of mind. There are some tell-tale signs that some ring users have greater willpower than others though. For example, Guy Gardner has green energy permanently crackling from him, supposedly due to his extreme will. John Stewart on the other hand, always makes extremely complex and accurate constructs, which reflects his focused state of mind and architectural background. Kyle Rayner's artistic talents make his constructs often works of fantasy or fiction etc.

4. Yes and No. When Kyle brought back the GL Corps with his Ion powers they doubled the number of active Lanterns from when they had previously existed. The lanterns didn't seem to suffer any reduction in power as a result. The central battery collects the condensed willpower energy of every inhabitant of the universe. This is why the Sinestro Corps started a reign of terror across the Universe. If the will of sentient life everywhere were to waver, the power of those wielding that spectrum would also waver. If no one felt love, the Star Shappires would be powerless. They're only as powerful as the emotion they represent.

5. There have been several explanations for the type of energy emitted. Currently, I believe is "emotional electromagnetic spectrum". That doesn't mean someone like Magneto could affect it, however. Constructs can be broken but only if the thing hitting it is stronger than the willpower of it's creator.

I couldn't find my scan of Kyle Rayner explaining it to Oliver Queen in Green Lantern: Rebirth (the series that revived Hal Jordan). So I rescanned it just for you.

#9 Edited by ASKwhy (282 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:

"1.How is a Green Lantern picked? I know a strong will makes you a good candidate but who decides to make you a GL? There are other strong willed characters who are not GL's in the DCU.

2.The other Lantern colors are based on character traits Avarice,Greed,etc.How does one become a Lantern of another color and can someone who was already a Lantern of one color become another?

3.There are levels in which the Lanterns are powered by the said character trait.Will Power for GL's.How is Will Power measured? Can certain GL's become gain more to become more powerful?  
 4.Is there a limit to how many Lantern's can be in each Corps? They are all feeding off the same energy source right? 
5.What type of energy is emitted by a Lantern..can constructs be manipulated? "

1.  Strong will and the ability to overcome great fear.  The specifics have never been established.  Selection process is usually in the form of the predecessor choosing a successor except in the cases in which the former doesn't have time to choose the latter, in which case the ring is programmed to seek out the nearest viable candidate. 

2a.  Most of the other Lantern Corps selection process has the ring choose it's wielder - Red and Yellow are selected by their rings and then join up with their respective corps for training, presently Larfleeze is the only Orange Lantern though there can be more whether he likes it or not, Blue Lanterns are selected by the ring itself but is a slow process as it goes in sector order and they must be sought after by the previous Blue Lantern, ex. Walker (sector 1) sought out Warth (2), Warth sought out Hynn (3), Hynn sought out Sersy (4).  This will go on until there is one Blue Lantern for each sector.  Violet rings select their wielders and then take them to Zamaron for 'conditioning' in the crystal chambers.  It has not been shown how Indigo selects their wielders.   

2b.  As for Lanterns with more than one ring - it has been shown to happen, but not because the character chose to do so.  Hal has worn a red ring out of the rage he felt over Laira's death and became a Red Lantern for a brief moment until he was saved by Walker.  Hal briefly became an Orange Lantern when he grabbed Larfleeze's power batter but reverted to normal when Larfleeze took it back.  Hal has been able to use a yellow ring after his possession by Parallax, though it was an unpleasant sensation.  Hal was 'hijacked' by a blue ring only because Walker gave it to him in order to save his life.  He couldn't get it off until he hoped for something and expended it's energy, at which point the ring slid off and sought out a candidate in Sector 2814 - who it chose has yet to be revealed.  Hal has not worn an Indigo or Violet ring yet.  The only other person to wear two rings is Guy and that was after Kyle died during Blackest Night.  Guy was able to use both rings as weapons but was nearly lost to the red ring.  He was saved by Mogo. 

3.  A Green Lantern's power level is based on their amount of willpower and their experience.  That's why Kilowog trains them, in order to build up both.  Batman and Green Arrow have worn a green ring but it took alot out of them even to do the smallest thing.  That's why there isn't hybrid lanterns running around.  Whatever primary emotion is within someone, that's the color ring they would wear.  As far as Lanterns gaining a tremendous amount of willpower, I think that's where Ion comes in. 

4.  There are 7200 Green Lanterns.  Currently, there is only one Orange Lantern and that's Larfleeze, but it is assumed (by certain characters) if the Orange Light were to shared amongst a Corps, then it's effect on Larfleeze would be diminished.  The other corps are assumed to have one member per sector, so 3600 each, though again due to the Blue Lantern selection process, this number has yet to be achieved for them. It is not known if there are that many in the Indigo Tribe. 

5.  A lantern's ring can imitate the effects of various energies.  The energy itself is presumed to be light though it has been called Oan energy.  Each corps gains it's power from their respective power batteries which collect the emotional energy/light from throughout the universe.  The energy can be manipulated by other light-based energy wielders and, for Green Lanterns, it has been shown that someone with sufficient willpower can manipulate constructs as well.
#10 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for your input everyone.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.