Ryan Reynolds Plays Another Super Hero

Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman's weakness is Kryptonite. Captain Excellent is powerless against Jeff Daniels.

He’s been Hannibal King and Deadpool, already, and he’ll soon, of course, be Green Lantern, so why shouldn’t he be Captain Excellent, as well? Just take a look at the poster to the right for PAPER MAN ( courtesy of Comingsoon). Ryan Reynolds has become to the go-to guy for superheroes at the movies, although Capt. Excellent isn’t based off a comics character nor does it look like his characterization’s going to be that straightforward.   At least, that’s what I’m inferring from the movie’s official synopsis…

[PAPER MAN is] a coming-of-middle-age comedy that chronicles the unlikely friendship between failed author Richard Dunne [Jeff Daniels] and a Long Island teen [Emma Stone] who teaches him a thing or two about growing up, all under the disapproving eye of his long-suffering wife [Lisa Kudrow] and his imaginary Superhero friend [Ryan Reynolds].

This flick's coming out some time in the spring/summer and it sounds like this has more in common with THE PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO than it does with something like UNBREAKABLE, or even DEFENDOR.   I’ll say that the cast is definitely appealing, although ever since DUMB & DUMBER (my personal favorite comedy) I’ve been waiting for Jeff Daniels to bust out some physical comedy. It’s been too long since we’ve seen his violent battle with an entire coffee mug’s worth of Ex Lax.  I’ve liked Emma Stone since SUPERBAD and her turn in ZOMBIELAND definitely has made her one to watch.

I’ve never had an imaginary friend, myself.  Although, there were times when I was shooting skits entirely alone for my public access show in high school where I started to suspect I might have more than one. Did any of you out there in the bountifully-imagined Comic Vine community ever have one?   Sometimes I speculate that YOU all are, in actuality, figments of my imagination. After Wonder Con, I’m only sure that  RadZombie, Misterz173 and AngeTheDude are real. Be sure to prove me wrong and come out for C2E2.

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this April - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

#1 Posted by KRYPTON (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like it will be funny can't wait to see a trailer 

#2 Posted by AngelFrost (2833 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard about this. :D  
I'm only watching it for Emma Stone, but Ryan might surprise me.

#3 Posted by the_fallen11 (636 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm getting sick of RR and this whole superhero thing. hey if DC ever does JLA movie maybe they can just cast RR to play the whole team, I'm sure he would want all the parts.

#4 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4613 posts) - - Show Bio
@the_fallen11 said:
" I'm getting sick of RR and this whole superhero thing. hey if DC ever does JLA movie maybe they can just cast RR to play the whole team, I'm sure he would want all the parts. "
Nope jus GL and FLash.

And isnt PaperMan the movie... old news. or did i find it earlier than everyone else?
#5 Posted by Silver Knight75 (1145 posts) - - Show Bio

jeez Ryan, pace yourself. You have Deadpool, Green Lantern, now this.

#6 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio

This is overkill. Ryan's a good actor but there's certain limits as to what heroes he should play.
#7 Posted by Gregomasta (333 posts) - - Show Bio
@Yung ANcient One said:
" @the_fallen11 said:
" I'm getting sick of RR and this whole superhero thing. hey if DC ever does JLA movie maybe they can just cast RR to play the whole team, I'm sure he would want all the parts. "
Nope jus GL and FLash.  And isnt PaperMan the movie... old news. or did i find it earlier than everyone else? "
I've already said this.
#8 Posted by Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! (2569 posts) - - Show Bio

he has blond hair!

#9 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

I knew about this back in like Nov or Dec.
#10 Posted by NightFang (9903 posts) - - Show Bio

Could be an funny film.

#11 Posted by Rabbit Tots (477 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, this is getting ridiculous...
#12 Posted by Agent Buttons (13479 posts) - - Show Bio
eh.
#13 Posted by 4Essence (152 posts) - - Show Bio
@the_fallen11 said:
"I'm getting sick of RR and this whole superhero thing. hey if DC ever does JLA movie maybe they can just cast RR to play the whole team, I'm sure he would want all the parts. "

LOL
#14 Posted by aouric (188 posts) - - Show Bio

No-no-no-noooooooooo!

#15 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2233 posts) - - Show Bio

Is this a movie where part of his growing up is giving up comics because that is kids stuff?

#16 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

Arachnophobia = Fear Of Movies Starring Jeff Daniels

#17 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh come on people.
Hanibal king was a comic charachter not a superhero.
Kinda the same thing for Deadpool. 
Reynolds was only rumoured for Flash and Captain Excellent is hardly gonna be a straight forward superhero movie.

Superheroes and comic book stuff in general are the big genre at the momment and Reynolds is a working actor. Let's all try to find some thing else in life to get annoyed about. Is there still a war on?

#18 Posted by brendon277 (513 posts) - - Show Bio

I do know who Ryan Reynolds is but don't know who captain whatever his name is someone tell me....

#19 Edited by The Crimson Nutcase (813 posts) - - Show Bio
@Yung ANcient One said:

" Nope jus GL and FLash.  And isnt PaperMan the movie... old news. or did i find it earlier than everyone else? "

Yeah thats what I was thinking I heard about Paperman early last year...
#20 Posted by couzinit99 (169 posts) - - Show Bio

TOM you're going to C2E2!!!!! I AM :D!!!! i cant wait to meet you, well, if u are haha :P
#21 Edited by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I don't see the problem with this. It sounds like a side-role, and Deadpool (the good kind) was in the Wolverine for, like, only ten minutes anyways.

#22 Edited by Yung ANcient One (4613 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gregomasta said:

" @Yung ANcient One said:

" @the_fallen11 said:
Nope jus GL and FLash.  And isnt PaperMan the movie... old news. or did i find it earlier than everyone else? "
I've already said this. "
*thumbs up*
#23 Edited by Yung ANcient One (4613 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Crimson Nutcase said:

" @Yung ANcient One said:

" Nope jus GL and FLash.  And isnt PaperMan the movie... old news. or did i find it earlier than everyone else? "

Yeah thats what I was thinking I heard about Paperman early last year... "
exactly. i heard about it and i was like man must be a indie film so it doesnt matter and now comicvine posts this like WHAT?
#24 Posted by CrimsonComedian (328 posts) - - Show Bio

I HAD imaginary friends. They were real kids, just imagined they were my friends.

#25 Posted by the ace of knaves (402 posts) - - Show Bio

He isn't even a real superhero in this... it's not like this character comes from a comic book. It's completely made up for the film.

It's an interesting concept. And i've seen some clips of it and it is pretty damn funny.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.