Follow

Green Lantern

Concept » Green Lantern appears in 2496 issues.

A Green Lantern is an officer of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps, who have the ability to overcome great fear with the might of willpower. They possess power rings capable of creating constructs characterized by their will and strength to use it. Each Green Lantern is given a Sector of the Universe to protect and it is their priority to suppress any threat against their sector.

Review: Green Lantern #58

Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    Green Lantern, Larfleeze and Star Sapphire search for the new host of Adara, the hope entity, while Atrocitus and Sinestro wreck irreparable harm on the new guardians' reputation.

The Good

Even though it's probably better to save this kind of commentary for "the verdict," the larger tapestry that Johns has woven the DCU's cosmology into makes this book infinitely interesting. There have been many attempts to turn superhero pantheons into modern mythologies, but this has been the most effective, by far. The new guardians and their entities are larger-than-life personalities and personifications of abstract concepts, and I love seeing how their philosophies intersect and collide. On a more basic note - - Larfleeze is hilarious.

The Bad

Star Sapphire's mention of Cowgirl does bring up the rather thorny issue of how Hal's relationship with her has been summarily relegated to the background while he's dealt with Blackest Night and all its associated phenomena for the past year or so. I wonder if it might've been more sensible to have just kept him single this whole time.

The Verdict - 4.5/5

I've been keeping my eye on Johns' GL run since it was first announced at conventions, however long ago. Even though we're getting close to the five year mark, now, I feel like he's still hitting his stride. Without contradicting any established continuity, he's truly established a new world that's as a fresh, surprising and exciting as any company launch. If you haven't gotten into GL, do so now, because you'll want to say you were there while DC history was being made.
    Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Calvin

you'll want to say you were there while DC history was being made.  

HAHAA! Good review! It better be worth it!!!
    doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By doordoor123

okay.. Thats great but why a 4.5 out of 5 and not a 5? For someone with such rave reviews, youd think this issue would get a 5. For the bad, you just stated fact. Opinion on "The Bad": 

I wonder if it might've been more sensible to have just kept him single this whole time. 

ummmmm?????? 
    Avatar image for harleyquinnhawkgirl
    harleyquinnhawkgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

User Lists: 14

Awesome review and I cannot wait to read this issue!!!
    Avatar image for squiresmadnessmachine
    squiresmadnessmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

i have been following this since issue 2 and i dont think i will ever stop between this and the marvel civil war and walking dead that is what got me back into comics and its lasted a long time i dont see myself ever stoping geoff johns has made GL awesome again and again over and over it will be great to see what the future holds
    deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

Hrmmmm... 
    Good review! 
    I cringed when I was told that Brightest Day was going to be 26 weeks after Blackest Night was 8 issues - plus crossovers. I had to choose a couple of titles to drop, and it turned out to be GL. I might pick up the trade and come back after Brightest Day wraps. I would like to see more non-elephantine Blue Lanterns... 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.