Follow

Green Lantern

Concept » Green Lantern appears in 2504 issues.

A Green Lantern is an officer of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps, who have the ability to overcome great fear with the might of willpower. They possess power rings capable of creating constructs characterized by their will and strength to use it. Each Green Lantern is given a Sector of the Universe to protect and it is their priority to suppress any threat against their sector.

Pre-52 Green Lantern Readers Needed!!

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By 2cool4fun

Okay so before i start reading Green Lantern new 52 i want to know his older stories ( since he and batman have almost the same past ) So i was wondering when have the other lanterns ( red, indigo, blue, etc ) first appeared? And who where our human green lanterns villains before that? And was Alan Scott ever a part of the green lantern corps, or was he just a guy with a green lantern ring?

And also if you can, how did it all come to that we have 4 ( now 5, but i will read that in the new 52 ) green lanterns at the same time on earth.

ViperKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

First of all, the Red Lantern Corps, Blue Lantern Corps, Larfleeze, Star Sapphires, and Indigo Tribe all appeared in preparation to explain Blackest Night. Sinestro Corps was introduced a long time ago, after Sinestro was kicked out of the Green Lantern Corps and found his own power battery. If you want to read more about the Sinestro Corps, look up "Sinestro Corps War" and read the book. If you want to read about the other Corps, they are all in the preludes to Blackest Night, Blackest Night itself, and Brightest Day.

Back then, Green Lantern fought non-galactic threats including Doctor Polaris, Electrocutioner, Gambler, Goldface, Major Disaster, Major Force, Puppeteer, Shark, Sonar, Sportsmaster, and Tattoed Man. This was a long time ago though. In the New 52, I personally hope they will reboot these villains greatly to fight Green Lantern once again. However, this will not happen as of now.

Alan Scott is an honorary member of the Green Lantern Corps. He doesn't actually possess a power ring. His ring is derived from the Earth itself. It is from nature rather than willpower, so he wasn't even a Green Lantern.

Every sector should have two Green Lanterns patrolling them. I'm almost certain that there were Green Lanterns in the Honor Guard so they wouldn't count to be patrolling Earth. However, Blackest Night showed that the embodiment of life itself was hidden on Earth, leading Nekron to attack the heroes of Earth. Therefore, I personally believe more Green Lanterns are stationed on Earth to protect the Entity. That is my personal belief though.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

@viperking: Thanks man, that helped out a lot!

Gotta say this green lantern universe got bigger and more complicated than the X-men universe.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

First of all, the Red Lantern Corps, Blue Lantern Corps, Larfleeze, Star Sapphires, and Indigo Tribe all appeared in preparation to explain Blackest Night. Sinestro Corps was introduced a long time ago, after Sinestro was kicked out of the Green Lantern Corps and found his own power battery. If you want to read more about the Sinestro Corps, look up "Sinestro Corps War" and read the book. If you want to read about the other Corps, they are all in the preludes to Blackest Night, Blackest Night itself, and Brightest Day.

Back then, Green Lantern fought non-galactic threats including Doctor Polaris, Electrocutioner, Gambler, Goldface, Major Disaster, Major Force, Puppeteer, Shark, Sonar, Sportsmaster, and Tattooed Man. This was a long time ago though. In the New 52, I personally hope they will reboot these villains greatly to fight Green Lantern once again. However, this will not happen as of now.

I definitely agree. wen definitely need to update of classic villains like Doctor Polaris,Major Disaster, Sonar, and Replikon. we've already seen updated versions of Sinestro, Star Sapphire, Black Hand, Shark, Hector Hammond, Evil Star,The Manhunters, Mongul and Tatooed Man under Geoff Johns. Major Force has reappeared as an ally of Firestorm in the new 52.

Alan Scott is an honorary member of the Green Lantern Corps. He doesn't actually possess a power ring. His ring is derived from the Earth itself. It is from nature rather than willpower, so he wasn't even a Green Lantern.

Every sector should have two Green Lanterns patrolling them. I'm almost certain that there were Green Lanterns in the Honor Guard so they wouldn't count to be patrolling Earth.

Yup. Guy, John and Kyle were all members. Hal was a member before Emerald Twilight.

However, Blackest Night showed that the embodiment of life itself was hidden on Earth, leading Nekron to attack the heroes of Earth. Therefore, I personally believe more Green Lanterns are stationed on Earth to protect the Entity. That is my personal belief though.

this for the most part with few flaws.

@viperking: Thanks man, that helped out a lot!

Gotta say this green lantern universe got bigger and more complicated than the X-men universe.

you'll get used to it.

dont expect many big/good Sinestro stories before Geoff Johns run though, he was considered a joke before the early 90s. Star Sapphire was considered to be Hal's archenemy back then.

ViperKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ViperKing

@2cool4fun: You're welcome. The Green Lantern universe is huge and is complicated but it can be categorized after you read a lot of the books. I would definitely recommend pre-Flashpoint Green Lantern titles because it was one of the most successful franchises in the DC Universe. Geoff John's run with the series was incredible and is considered one of his best works.

ViperKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@viperking said:

Back then, Green Lantern fought non-galactic threats including Doctor Polaris, Electrocutioner, Gambler, Goldface, Major Disaster, Major Force, Puppeteer, Shark, Sonar, Sportsmaster, and Tattooed Man. This was a long time ago though. In the New 52, I personally hope they will reboot these villains greatly to fight Green Lantern once again. However, this will not happen as of now.

I definitely agree. wen definitely need to update of classic villains like Doctor Polaris,Major Disaster, Sonar, and Replikon. we've already seen updated versions of Sinestro, Star Sapphire, Black Hand, Shark, Hector Hammond, Evil Star,The Manhunters, Mongul and Tatooed Man under Geoff Johns. Major Force has reappeared as an ally of Firestorm in the new 52.

Where did we see the updated versions of Shark, Hector Hammond, Evil Star, Manhunters, Mongul, and Tattoed Man? I haven't seen them in Green Lantern titles so far. I thought Major Force was the main villain against Captain Atom. I could be incorrect because I haven't followed that series. Hopefully, they can create another series based on Hal Jordan's missions on Earth. I would definitely enjoy it a lot.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@viperking said:

Where did we see the updated versions of Shark, Hector Hammond, Evil Star, Manhunters, Mongul, and Tattoed Man?

They all appeared in he previous volume of Green Lantern which is still canon. Hammond is appearing in Superman, Mongul is set to appear in Villains month, and the Manhunters were in Red LANTERNS.

I haven't seen them in Green Lantern titles so far. I thought Major Force was the main villain against Captain Atom.

pre-new 52 he was an enemy of GL and Captain Atom. Im curious as to why you would mention him if you didn't know that. In the New 52 he's an ally of Firestorm.

I could be incorrect because I haven't followed that series. Hopefully, they can create another series based on Hal Jordan's missions on Earth. I would definitely enjoy it a lot.

ViperKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ViperKing

@avenging_x_bolt:

They all appeared in he previous volume of Green Lantern which is still canon. Hammond is appearing in Superman, Mongul is set to appear in Villains month, and the Manhunters were in Red LANTERNS.

Neither Shark, Evil Star, or Tattoed Man has appeared in the New 52, which is what I was asking. Mongul has not appeared yet. The only ones that have actually appeared are Hector Hammond, who appeared as a comatose prisoner at S.T.A.R. Labs in Superman. Also the Manhunters were the only ones I missed in a Green Lantern title.

pre-new 52 he was an enemy of GL and Captain Atom. Im curious as to why you would mention him if you didn't know that. In the New 52 he's an ally of Firestorm.

I did know that he was an enemy of Green Lantern ,(mentioned previously), and Captain Atom. I was saying that I thought Major Force was the main villain in the Captain Atom's series in the New 52.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither Shark, Evil Star, or Tattoed Man has appeared in the New 52,

Never said they did. i said we've seen updated versions of the characters in canon.

which is what i was asking

no. thats what you MEANT. You asked "Where did we see the updated versions of Shark, Hector Hammond, Evil Star, Manhunters, Mongul, and Tattoed Man?" not "When did they show up in the new 52"

Mongul has not appeared yet.

I know this. i kinda implied it when i used the words "set to appear"

The only ones that have actually appeared are Hector Hammond, who appeared as a comatose prisoner at S.T.A.R. Labs in Superman. Also the Manhunters were the only ones I missed in a Green Lantern title.

Again i said this.

I did know that he was an enemy of Green Lantern ,(mentioned previously)

and Captain Atom. I was saying that I thought Major Force was the main villain in the Captain Atom's series in the New 52.

Ok. you had me a bit confused there. and no, i dont think they've ever even met in the New 52.

ViperKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ViperKing
    @avenging_x_bolt said:

@viperking said:

That is my fault. I meant something completely different from what I asked.

Never said they did. i said we've seen updated versions of the characters in canon. no. thats what you MEANT. You asked "Where did we see the updated versions of Shark, Hector Hammond, Evil Star, Manhunters, Mongul, and Tattoed Man?" not "When did they show up in the new 52"

I was simply stating it again. I realized your implications. There wasn't any harm done.

I know this. i kinda implied it when i used the words "set to appear"

Again, I was simply restating it with more details.

Again i said this.

Yeah, I figured that you were confused. Thanks for the clarification.

Ok. you had me a bit confused there. and no, i dont think they've ever even met in the New 52.

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Raw_Material

First off, the other emotional spectrums began forming in the WAR OF LIGHT and made full appearances during the BLACKEST NIGHT story arc. The first emotion to be wielded by a ring-slinger and formed into a corps besides the green might of willpower was the yellow impurity of fear, which Sinestro took full control over with an iron fist. As for the villains, the corps mostly handled inner-terrestrial criminals and evil-doers from different space sectors across the universe. However in the early appearances of Hal Jordan, the first earth lantern, we've seen quite a list of villains that reside on Earth such as Major Force, Doctor Polaris, Major Disaster, Sportsmaster, Tattooed Man, and a few more of GL's super villains. Alan Scott who's not necessarily an official member of the GL Corps is an honorary "hall of famed" member of the Green Lantern Corps being considered the first Green Lantern to wield a power ring. Although, unlike the modern generation of Green Lanterns, Alan acquires the power of his ring not through the Power Battery but receives his power from a magical force called the Starheart which is fueled not only by the mystical energies of Starheart but his will and faith as well. And the reason why we have 5 current Earth Lanterns is because Guy was Hal's replacement when he was presumed dead before his "rebirth", John was Guy's "temporary" replacement when he was booted from the corps and partnered up with Hal for some time, Kyle was supposedly the lantern to acquire the last power ring given to him by Ganthet, eventually saved the entire corps and help rebuild it, and the newly Simon Baz was the replacement for Sinestro when he was sent to Black Hand's "Dead Zone" and received the ring he used to bear.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.