Follow

Green Lantern

Concept » Green Lantern appears in 2502 issues.

A Green Lantern is an officer of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps, who have the ability to overcome great fear with the might of willpower. They possess power rings capable of creating constructs characterized by their will and strength to use it. Each Green Lantern is given a Sector of the Universe to protect and it is their priority to suppress any threat against their sector.

Permission to Kill

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Does anyone here know if New 52 Green Lanterns are allowed to kill? I remember that there was this limitation on their power rings during Pre-52 that prevented them from killing. I just thought that it could have changed post-flashpoint.

Impy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yes, they can kill. Both Sinestro and Hal Jordan have killed members of the Sinestro Corps in The New 52.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

@alak: Green Lanterns could kill before the New 52 as well. It went into effect during the Sinestro Corps War as a way to stand a chance against Sinestro and his corps as they were killing GLs left and right. Sinestro even remarks later after being placed in a sciencell (in Rage of the Red Lanterns) that Hal and the rest would have lost if not for being given the ability to kill. Turned out Sinestro wanted that to happen all along.

Darksider555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Darksider555

@extremis said:

@alak: Green Lanterns could kill before the New 52 as well. It went into effect during the Sinestro Corps War as a way to stand a chance against Sinestro and his corps as they were killing GLs left and right. Sinestro even remarks later after being placed in a sciencell (in Rage of the Red Lanterns) that Hal and the rest would have lost if not for being given the ability to kill. Turned out Sinestro wanted that to happen all along.

it weird a bit right? I mean he makes an entire Lantern Corp simply to strenghten the GLC which he hates?

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darksider555: well I'd say he hates the Guardians and that's why he did it. He's friends with Hal and other GLs. Sinestro just has one way of doing things and its his way, plain and simple.

Darksider555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis said:

@darksider555: well I'd say he hates the Guardians and that's why he did it. He's friends with Hal and other GLs. Sinestro just has one way of doing things and its his way, plain and simple.

yeah, I think that makes sense. I think the best moment to explain this is in Blackest Night when Sinestro figures out that Abin Sur knew everything (from Parallax to the Life Entity) and SInestro is enraged that the Guardians sacrificed his friend to hide their lies. And as for Hal, I think that instead of hating him, he resents his- for taking his place as the Greatest GL and the memory of Abin Sur

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darksider555: yeah pretty much. Though I'd say his resentment towards Hal more stems from how like minded they are in their fight against authority, yet how Hal refuses to come over to the 'dark side', so to speak, as Hal doesn't believe in overthrowing the hierarchy in favor of ruling through fear. Lets not forget how Sinestro wants to enforce order through totalitarian rule, even going to lengths to persuade Hal to his way of thinking. Sinestro isn't as shallow as resenting Hal for being called 'the greatest', it's about how his friend refuses to take his side.

Darksider555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Darksider555

@extremis said:

@darksider555: yeah pretty much. Though I'd say his resentment towards Hal more stems from how like minded they are in their fight against authority, yet how Hal refuses to come over to the 'dark side', so to speak, as Hal doesn't believe in overthrowing the hierarchy in favor of ruling through fear. Lets not forget how Sinestro wants to enforce order through totalitarian rule, even going to lengths to persuade Hal to his way of thinking. Sinestro isn't as shallow as resenting Hal for being called 'the greatest', it's about how his friend refuses to take his side.

yeah he lost one friend to authority, and the other one refuses to take his side in the fight against it. Its kinda tragic but Sinestro was right about the (Old) Guardians except for Gathet.

geekish_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

everybody hates the guardians, that's just it

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.