Follow

Green Lantern

Concept » Green Lantern appears in 2502 issues.

A Green Lantern is an officer of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps, who have the ability to overcome great fear with the might of willpower. They possess power rings capable of creating constructs characterized by their will and strength to use it. Each Green Lantern is given a Sector of the Universe to protect and it is their priority to suppress any threat against their sector.

My thoughts thus far on the New 52 Lanterns

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz

No Caption Provided

With the New 52 reboot of the DC Universe, one of the group of characters that has experienced the least amount of change are the various Lantern Corps.  While various characters have seen some pretty extensive overhauls, the Lantern Corps pick up right after the War of the Green Lanterns.  In terms of titles there is Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, New Guardians and Red Lanterns (thus leaving DC with one more title than before.) 

In terms of stories, there is a bit of a discrepancy from previous.  Green Lantern has been to its usual standard providing some good potential for its stories thus far.  Green Lantern Corps comparatively does not seem as promising as it appears to be turning into a kind of cop-buddy title for Guy and John.  In terms of actual stories though the most engaging is Red Lanterns (though I haven’t read issue 3 yet which has already been released.) 

In terms of characters, there is a lot of the same but there are a few noticeable changes.  Atrocitus is no longer as much of a two dimensional character as he is leading his own series, and really for me has become the best new character in the new 52.  On the opposite side of the spectrum though is an almost complete absence of female characters.  Despite having shown up mostly in the background, the most visible female character thus far is Bleez in four issues, whereas the generally good portrayal  of women in the past few years (Soranik, Carol Ferris, Arisia and Iolande, or even Miri Riam) has mostly been phased out.  Carol is back to being a romantic interest for Hal, and Soranik and the others are almost completely missing.  This for me is one of the main things lacking from the new series, as without these characters they sort of seem to be missing the soul of what made the previous series so successful. 

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Could not agree more. I do like how we are peeling down Atrocitus more and more to see the inner workings of his psyche and why he does what he does. I just hope they don't go TOO much into detail with it because it runs the risk of eventually referencing these Red Lanterns as cosmic emos, which one could already say is the case if one really thinks about it. Nevertheless, Red Lanterns is one of my monthlies that I get and I'm dazzled by it every time I get it. By the way, issue 3 was great! :) At least in my opinion.

Afro_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Afro_Warrior

While i'v only read Green Lantern and New Guardians, i would agree so far with what you've said. Ferris has been relegated back to a bit part romantic interest.

However Fatality in New Guardians may partially buck that trend. While Kyle is obviously the star of the book, Fatality has been the most prominent character in the book after him. So while it's to early to tell if this will continue, especially with the arrival of Saint Walker, it does show some early potential.

BloodTalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BloodTalon

@RazzaTazz: I love all 4 so far with the Red lanterns as my favorite.

As for the girls Fatality and Bleez are in new Gardenias and the others well all I can say is give them some time we are only on issue 2/3

on a side note I want to see more Dex-Star and maybe a female blue lantern

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Daveyo520

Hardly related but I thought it was funny.

No Caption Provided

I have only stuck with the main GL series, the others just lost interest with me. I really don't care about those characters or their stories. I did at least go to issue 2 with the Red Lanterns.

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Delphic

You really should read Red Lanterns #3. Bleez is developing into a very interesting character and probably will be the reason behind why I continue to subscribe to Red Lanterns.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Kairan1979  Online

Main GL series was funny. I enjoyed Sinestro playing with Hal.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By entropy_aegis

I doubt i'll be sticking to any GL book for long,right now i have GL and RL but the characters seem to be so one dimensional that it just annoys the crap outta me.

caesarsghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By caesarsghost

I agree with you- Atrocitus is becoming more and more amazing. One of the greatest characters in the DCU at the moment.

I personally kind of like the new direction the GLC is taking, with the exception of Soranik being phased out. She was incredible!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.