How about a Muslim Green Lantern?

• 59 results
#1 Posted by Firestormnuclerman (2097 posts) - - Show Bio

Since the Green Lantern Corps for being diverse I think DC should create a new human Green Lantern that is a Muslim. I would prefer it to be a guy but if it's a woman I'll accept that to.

#2 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

Never

#3 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

More Earth Lanterns? Nah. Unless you're talking about like a space Muslim. And a male one? Thought it was about being diverse? I vote "No" on Muslim Lanterns. There's a Muslim in Captain Britain and MI:13. She can rip people apart...with her mind. That's what you should be reading.

#4 Posted by Hagane Enna (7450 posts) - - Show Bio
Firestormnuclerman said:
"

Since the Green Lantern Corps for being diverse I think DC should create a new human Green Lantern that is a Muslim. I would prefer it to be a guy but if it's a woman I'll accept that to.

"
You'll *accept* a woman?  Gee, how thoughtful.  That aside, I prefer when characters are not made solely for religion, race, etc.  
#5 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio
Hagane Enna said:
You'll *accept* a woman?  Gee, how thoughtful.  That aside, I prefer when characters are not made solely for religion, race, etc.  "
Agreed.
#6 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio
There's always Dust :P
#7 Posted by _Obsidian_ (5028 posts) - - Show Bio
John Valentine said:
"There's always Dust :P"
In Green Lantern Corps?

:P
#8 Edited by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio
Twilight Man said:
"John Valentine said:
"There's always Dust :P"
In Green Lantern Corps?

:P
"
No, but she's Muslim :). (Realises how noobish that comment was considering GLC is in DC universe......)
#9 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio
Firestormnuclerman said:
"

"

Accept a woman?  Wow. Sounds kinda sexist but thats just me.

Anyway, It's an ok idea but I doubt it'll happen due to this whole war in the middle east. It does'nt make it right but I'm just saying.
#10 Posted by Kuja (67 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he/she's muslim

#11 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio
Buckshot said:
"Hagane Enna said:
You'll *accept* a woman?  Gee, how thoughtful.  That aside, I prefer when characters are not made solely for religion, race, etc.  "
Agreed.
"
In agreement.
#12 Posted by Vance Astro (91220 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"Never"

#13 Posted by Barry Flash (1573 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, i think Comics should stick to casual Humans, if they start introducing different Religions and stuff it'll only make things worse for the readers who don't agree with that religion etc..

#14 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio
Barry Flash said:
"Yeah, i think Comics should stick to casual Humans, if they start introducing different Religions and stuff it'll only make things worse for the readers who don't agree with that religion etc..
"
I don't know. Eddie Brock is catholic, The Thing is jewish,  Ghost Rider is an angel (as of recent issues), Religion does come into comics alot.
#15 Posted by Barry Flash (1573 posts) - - Show Bio
TheDrifter said:
"Barry Flash said:
"Yeah, i think Comics should stick to casual Humans, if they start introducing different Religions and stuff it'll only make things worse for the readers who don't agree with that religion etc..
"
I don't know. Eddie Brock is catholic, The Thing is jewish,  Ghost Rider is an angel (as of recent issues), Religion does come into comics alot.
"Yeah true. But can you give me any examples of a DC Character who follows religion? I mean, as far as i know hardly nobody in DC Comics follow religion that much and what's the point in introducing some religious characters now..

#16 Posted by _Obsidian_ (5028 posts) - - Show Bio
Barry Flash said:
"TheDrifter said:
"Barry Flash said:
"
I don't know. Eddie Brock is catholic, The Thing is jewish,  Ghost Rider is an angel (as of recent issues), Religion does come into comics alot."
Yeah true. But can you give me any examples of a DC Character who follows religion? I mean, as far as i know hardly nobody in DC Comics follow religion that much and what's the point in introducing some religious characters now.."
I'm sure many DC characters follow religions. It's just rarely spoken of.

And I'd like to add, the religion of a character doesn't really bother me much, what would bother me is if the character is created solely for the sake of diversion. That's when the writers have gone a step too far.
#17 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio
Barry Flash said:
"TheDrifter said:
"Barry Flash said:
"
"Yeah true. But can you give me any examples of a DC Character who follows religion? I mean, as far as i know hardly nobody in DC Comics follow religion that much and what's the point in introducing some religious characters now..

"
In DC?

Zauriel is a host of heaven, Etrigan is a demon, Spectre is basically the right hand man of God.

#18 Posted by Barry Flash (1573 posts) - - Show Bio
TheDrifter said:
"Barry Flash said:
"TheDrifter said:
"Barry Flash said:
"

"
In DC?

Zauriel is a host of heaven, Etrigan is a demon, Spectre is basically the right hand man of God.

"Yeah but that's just Heaven and Hell, keeping it simple. Once they start giving each Character individual religions to follow i think it's just silly. But that's just my opinion.

#19 Posted by Prince Nuada (15 posts) - - Show Bio
Barry Flash said:
"
comics should be religion free
#20 Posted by _Obsidian_ (5028 posts) - - Show Bio
Prince Nuada said:
"Barry Flash said:
"Yeah, i think Comics should stick to casual Humans, if they start introducing different Religions and stuff it'll only make things worse for the readers who don't agree with that religion etc.."
comics should be religion free"
Or speak of it as rarely as possible...
#21 Posted by Barry Flash (1573 posts) - - Show Bio
Twilight Man said:
"Prince Nuada said:
"Barry Flash said:
"Yeah, i think Comics should stick to casual Humans, if they start introducing different Religions and stuff it'll only make things worse for the readers who don't agree with that religion etc.."
Or speak of it as rarely as possible...
"Yeah, i like that idea.

#22 Posted by _Obsidian_ (5028 posts) - - Show Bio
Barry Flash said:
"Twilight Man said:
"Prince Nuada said:
"Barry Flash said:
Or speak of it as rarely as possible..."
Yeah, i like that idea."
Good.^^ But I gotta ask, is it really so hard to type outside the quote boxes? :P
#23 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio
Barry Flash said:
"TheDrifter said:
"Barry Flash said:
"TheDrifter said:
"Barry Flash said:
"

"
In DC?

"Yeah but that's just Heaven and Hell, keeping it simple. Once they start giving each Character individual religions to follow i think it's just silly. But that's just my opinion.

"

Eh, Everybody's got a right to their opinion.
#24 Posted by Firestormnuclerman (2097 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok then a Middle Eastern Green Lantern.

#25 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
Firestormnuclerman said:
"Ok then a Middle Eastern Green Lantern."
That's a better question. It would be kind of an interesting idea.

Kind of like a Prince of Persia Green Lantern
#26 Posted by Hagane Enna (7450 posts) - - Show Bio
BatgirlBabs said:
"Firestormnuclerman said:

"
Okay but is a female still only *acceptable*?
#27 Edited by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

A female is more than acceptable. Why not? Not all Middle Eastern countries suppress women. If you go to Jordan, women are revered. Also, Oman and Dubai. Not every Middle Eastern country treats women the way they do in Saudi Arabia. There are plenty of independent Middle Eastern women.

#28 Posted by Hagane Enna (7450 posts) - - Show Bio
BatgirlBabs said:
"A female is more than acceptable. Why not? Not all Middle Eastern countries suppress women. If you go to Jordan, women are revered. Also, Oman and Dubai. Not every Middle Eastern country treats women the way they do in Saudi Arabia. There are plenty of independent Middle Eastern women."
His original post left a LOT to be desired.
#29 Edited by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

AGREED

Hagane Enna said:
"BatgirlBabs said:
"A female is more than acceptable. Why not? Not all Middle Eastern countries suppress women. If you go to Jordan, women are revered. Also, Oman and Dubai. Not every Middle Eastern country treats women the way they do in Saudi Arabia. There are plenty of independent Middle Eastern women."
His original post left a LOT to be desired."

Firestormnuclerman said:
"

"

#30 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio
BatgirlBabs said:
"Firestormnuclerman said:

"

That'd be pretty cool.
#31 Posted by mikelovesmegan (5 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2012/06/11/green-lantern-group-solicits

So who said "Never"? Why would anyone assume the Green Lantern could only come from America? He is a protector of a whole section of the Universe...even assuming he is only from Earth is a stretch, but then narrowing it to America is arrogant.

#32 Posted by Skunkstein (591 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont like religion of any kind to have a significant part of a character.

So making a character muslim as his ''thing''... no thanks.

#33 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

We have an arab GL now...

#34 Posted by mikelovesmegan (5 posts) - - Show Bio

@Skunkstein: The comic isn't even out yet. We don't know if they will make his religion a topic at all...but he is Arabic, so it is easy to assume that he will be Muslim.

#35 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@mikelovesmegan: @Primmaster64: How do we know he's Arabic? His tattoo is in the language and its safe to assume he has some Islamic connection, but he could always be a black American, African, or Afrikaan. Was his nationality revealed?

#36 Posted by Skunkstein (591 posts) - - Show Bio

@mikelovesmegan said:

@Skunkstein: The comic isn't even out yet. We don't know if they will make his religion a topic at all...but he is Arabic, so it is easy to assume that he will be Muslim.

I know... i just tried answering the original question. I dont have any problem with him being arab, i still hope they make his (possible) religion as unimportant as possible.

I always found it strange that characters in universes like DC and Marvel even believed in gods in the first place.

#37 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@KnightRise: CMR suggest that...
#38 Posted by mikelovesmegan (5 posts) - - Show Bio

@KnightRise: You are correct, but we will see soon. It could be that he is a Black Muslim from America, but why assume he is from here? We have a whole planet with courageous people in every country who could become Green Lantern.

#39 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

Why muslim? If Im voting I want a chinese catholic or christian.

Next I want a mormon korean

Then I want an egyptian GL.

#41 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

@Buckshot said:

Hagane Enna said:
You'll *accept* a woman? Gee, how thoughtful. That aside, I prefer when characters are not made solely for religion, race, etc. "
Agreed.
#42 Posted by Teerack (6211 posts) - - Show Bio

No more tokens please.

#43 Posted by mikelovesmegan (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do they have to be tokens? For half a century, comics have been based in an all white universe...how much hate do you have to have in your heart to refuse comics the ability to portray a realistic view of the current world?

#44 Posted by mikelovesmegan (5 posts) - - Show Bio

A better description of what is coming: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=39115

#45 Edited by Dernman (15071 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like the new Green Lantern but it's not because he is Muslim. It's because he is Human. There are countless worlds out there and only a few if they are lucky get one Green Lantern ever. Yet every Human and their cat gets a ring.  They could have at least chosen a woman this time. 

Of course the point I just made is moot it it turns out to be John Stewart.

#46 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

@mikelovesmegan said:

Why do they have to be tokens? For half a century, comics have been based in an all white universe...how much hate do you have to have in your heart to refuse comics the ability to portray a realistic view of the current world?

Holy cow. You sir, are an amazing human being. I am glad that you get it. I'm not Muslim, I'm Black, but THIS ONE COMMENT is what I have been fighting hard for years to read.

And for the record people, genuine real world evil comes in all colors of the human race.

We are one race. One species, all capable of doing the same great things. We'd better start treating each other like one if we are to survive the next few generations, forget the new century.

#47 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

@Firestormnuclerman said:

Ha! It's all your fault. (I could care less)

#48 Posted by Katie24 (488 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't Islam the second largest religion in the world? It would make sense to have some super hero's who are or were raised Muslim. There are several Jewish super hero's and Judaism is only like the fifth or sixth largest religion. On a side note, I wonder if there are people in the Marvel universe who worship Thor, he is a god and unlike the god of the Abrahamic religions (Christianity, Islam, Judaism) at least the Norse gods have been proven to exist.

#49 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Katie24: Do tell.
#50 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

I have no problem whatsoever with the idea of a Muslim Green Lantern, but I also agree with the above posters who have noted that there are 4 Earth based GL's already, the last thing needed is another one (unless one of them is killed off). If a writer wants to create a character with that as part of their back story there are better places to put them than the already oversaturated GL Corps

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.