Green Lantern Should Have Been About John Stewart

• 87 results
#1 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio

Justice League the animated series aired between 2001 and 2004. Justice League Unlimited ran from 2004 to about 2006. The Green Lantern most kids got to know was John Stewart. Understand, comic books not as assessable as cartoons. It's nothing for a comic geek to get up, get in their car or bus or walk to the comic store to find the comic they want. It's nothing for everyone else to sit on the couch, grab the remote and watch cartoons.  

Millions watched JL and JL:U. Today, you can barely get 10,000 on a flagship title. 

The first X-Men wasn't about how the X-Men came together, it was about how Wolverine became one of the X-Men. They could have done the same thing with John Stewart's character, and left room for sequels and prequels. Jeff John's obsession with Hal Jordon might have killed this franchise before it could have become one.

#2 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio

Stewart will be in the sequels. But yeah...this is why they should have also had Hal Jordan in the DCAU.

#3 Posted by RisingBean (3546 posts) - - Show Bio

Shoulda, woulda, wasn't.   Hal Jordan is arguably the most important character in the GL mythos. WB made the right choice as far as myself and many others are concerned.
#4 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio

THERE WILL BE NO SEQUEL!!! This movie will not make back the over $200 million spent to make it in the box office domestically or worldwide. They might make a reboot, but being that this character is not that well known, you can seriously doubt that.

#5 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (12392 posts) - - Show Bio

no it shouldnt, having stewart in justice league was a stupid , especially since they had already introduced Kyle.  
edit: 6/25/2011
#6 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio

No Sequel?

#7 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12392 posts) - - Show Bio

it should have a sequel
#8 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio

It needs to pass its budget.

#9 Posted by darkcloakx (788 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah, it won't pass it budget this movies seriously sucks hopefully captain america will do much better otherwise if that movie fails then there's no black panther movie. 

#10 Posted by VanTesla (518 posts) - - Show Bio
@Osiris1428
Never like Johns attitude... The romance sub-plot was interesting though. 

I was in the ages but knew both Hal and Kyle before JL/JLU came out, Hal had a more interesting story/background, and I liked Kyles character/personality. 

They just put John in the show to equal out the ethnicity, even though technically there was only two Caucasian in the starting group (Flash and Batman). Supes,Martian,Hawk are aliens, and Wonder Woman is themysciran born from magic. 

They should have picked Mister Terrific (Michael Holt), Cyborg (Victor Stone) , or Black Lightning (Jefferson Pierce).
#11 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12392 posts) - - Show Bio

@ VanTesla 

QFT 

Hal and Kyle both would have offered more interesting subplots  

Kyle and Wally budding around or Hal's slow metamorphosis fom a sheltered naive young man into a veteran lantern and/or clashes of ideoligy with Batman 

#12 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio
@RisingBean said:
Shoulda, woulda, wasn't.   Hal Jordan is arguably the most important character in the GL mythos. WB made the right choice as far as myself and many others are concerned.
Yeah, but WB doesn't count your "OK" as making back the hundreds of millions spent on the movie. You have so many kids invested in John Stewart over the years and now you introduce a character they have never heard of and called him Green Lantern. A whiney Hal Jordan at that. One of the reasons it bombed in the theaters was because of the fact that it did not care to build upon a character kids have grown up with for nearly the past ten years. That was just box office stupid.
#13 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio

Like I said...Its ok if the give the spotlight to John...but they really should have included Hal and Guy...JL and JLU really screwed them...in the sense that they never appeared and people never got to know who they where.

#14 Posted by RisingBean (3546 posts) - - Show Bio
@Osiris1428: Trust me, having John Stewart there in place of Hal wouldn't have gotten WB the money they lost because they had Hal in the movie.   The average fan who simply watched the cartoon would have seen the movie either way if they intended to see it at all. The concept of power ring and space opera action either sells or it doesn't. The "fans" of the cartoon who didn't know John by name, or that GL is a DC comic probably were not going to spend $10 to see the movie anyhow.
#15 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:
Like I said...Its ok if the give the spotlight to John...but they really should have included Hal and Guy...JL and JLU really screwed them...in the sense that they never appeared and people never got to know who they where.
Did they show all the Flash's? What about Steel and Superboy? What about Nightwing and Robin. The fact is, that is the character they have known for years.
#16 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio
@Osiris1428: Nope...just Wally, only Steel...And Nightwing only appeared in Batman TAS
#17 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio
@RisingBean said:
@Osiris1428: Trust me, having John Stewart there in place of Hal wouldn't have gotten WB the money they lost because they had Hal in the movie.   The average fan who simply watched the cartoon would have seen the movie either way if they intended to see it at all. The concept of power ring and space opera action either sells or it doesn't. The "fans" of the cartoon who didn't know John by name, or that GL is a DC comic probably were not going to spend $10 to see the movie anyhow.
How could you know that? How could you with complete certainty beyond a shadow of doubt prove that??  We know what was used. We know it failed. Those kids may not have know John Stewart by name, but they looked at that Green Lantern and said, "HUH?!?! Something a little off."
#18 Posted by War Killer (19851 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I think they should have gone with Kyle, that way they could have kept the movie mostly on Earth where Ganthet could train him in how to use the ring, and the villain could have been Major Force. Also, just to tie it into a Justice League movie, they could have had Superman cameo.

#19 Posted by VanTesla (518 posts) - - Show Bio
@Osiris1428 said:

@Primmaster64 said:

Did they show all the Flash's? What about Steel and Superboy? What about Nightwing and Robin. The fact is, that is the character they have known for years.

They did not show all of the Flash's, Steel yes, Nightwing and Robin are like cameos for they are in the same universe with Batman TAS, Hal made one or two appearance in JLU.
#20 Edited by fodigg (6130 posts) - - Show Bio
@Osiris1428: I agree. I would've preferred John. 

edit: which is not to say I dislike Hal, Guy, Alan, or Kyle, it's just that John is my favorite JL, and that's mostly due to his awesome portrayal in the DC Animated stuff.
#21 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I disagree. I think Hal was the right choice. The wrong choice was casting Ryan Reynolds as a character he obviously can't play. And shame on the writers for not having the whole thing *or at least 2/3 of it in space where stuff actually matters. Also, Hal should've been the one in the DCAU, not John. Nothing against John, but they keep saying Hal's supposed to be "the best Green Lantern". If he's so great, where the heck was he? 

I hope WB's learned from their dumb mistakes and gives us a movie that's actually, ya know, watchable and not a Batman movie?

#22 Posted by Nefarious (18314 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#23 Edited by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio

You have to agree, if they are going to use Hal Jordan, USE HALL JORDAN!!!! It was only Hal Jordan in name only. They made that character use so many other things from other characters. They made him a whiney little punk. "I QUIT!! WHAHHHHHHHH!!!! HE'S RIGHT, I SUCK!!! WHAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!! I WANNA GO BACK TO EARTH AND I WANT MY DADDY!!!!!!! WHAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!" The Green Lantern on JL so much of a bad arse!! But they use that guy??? That is what audiences are going to say. That characterization wasn't just Ryan Reynolds fault, that was the writers, Hal Jordan in Secret Origins was fearless. What the hell was that??!??! 

If they are gonna do that, might as well use John Steward. And to whoever said that people who didn't know that Green Lantern was DC, most people don't know who is with DC or Marvel, or have enough of an understanding of both companies to explain to you the feel of or difference in either company. Comic book fan boys don't make movies like TDK sell upwards of a billion dollars in sales. The one's who don't know their Guy Gardner from their Johhny Storm do.

#24 Edited by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Man you've got to chill, it's just a movie. You didn't like it, then quit complaining.

And for the record, John's my favourite lantern but guess what, the movie would've bombed if they used him instead of Hal.

#25 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a comic book site for nerds. The majority of the comments you see here are complaining. That's like getting mad at paper for being white.

#26 Posted by RisingBean (3546 posts) - - Show Bio
@Osiris1428:   http://www.current-movie-reviews.com/uncategorized/2011/06/17/green-lantern-review-isnt-he-supposed-to-be-black/  Is one example of many I could find if I was so inclined. I recall reading about people complaining on twitter that GL wasn't black so they were outraged that GL was made a white man for the movie. I think that attitude says more about them then not. As it is, why don't you explain to me why Stewart would have been the better choice. Aside from his being in the DCAU, you have not said anything to give Stewart the nod. I'm curious as to what John Stewart the architect brings to the movie that Hal Jordan  the Pilot can't do to serve the needs of a visually oriented action movie better. 

#27 Posted by danhimself (22207 posts) - - Show Bio

the only reason that Stewart was on JLU was because he was the token black guy....I said it....Hal Jordan was the first and he's the current Green Lantern that people are reading about...they want people to be able to go out and see the movie then go out and buy some Green Lantern comic books and have Hal in both...it just makes sense....plus having the movie about John would have been an even bigger continuity train wreck than the movie already was...it's like how they tried to make a Steel movie without having it linked to Superman...you can't start a story in the middle

#28 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Osiris1428: Nerds? I don't really think that's the proper term.

Your ranting isn't going to change Hal Jordan to be John Stewart in the film. There's going to be inevitable sequel and he'll probably show up one way or another.

#29 Edited by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio
@RisingBean said:

@Osiris1428:   http://www.current-movie-reviews.com/uncategorized/2011/06/17/green-lantern-review-isnt-he-supposed-to-be-black/  Is one example of many I could find if I was so inclined. I recall reading about people complaining on twitter that GL wasn't black so they were outraged that GL was made a white man for the movie. I think that attitude says more about them then not. As it is, why don't you explain to me why Stewart would have been the better choice. Aside from his being in the DCAU, you have not said anything to give Stewart the nod. I'm curious as to what John Stewart the architect brings to the movie that Hal Jordan  the Pilot can't do to serve the needs of a visually oriented action movie better.    

Hal Jordan's constructs always were basic and plain boring. That is why we see Hal making constructs in the movie John Stewart would have made. Plus I told you already, John Stewart is the character that these kids have grown up with. You explain to them something different, they are gonna be like "WHO CARES?? I WANT GREEN LANTERN! THAT'S NOT HIM!!" And good luck on a Deadpool movie with Ryan Reynolds. No movie company at this moment is going to shell out money for production on a movie for a comic book character that only 12 people know about. Especially with Ryan Reynolds name attached to it.   

But, hey, you got your Hal Jordan movie....and it sucks.  
 "Comic book fan boys don't make movies like TDK sell upwards of a billion dollars in sales. The one's who don't know their Guy Gardner from their Johhny Storm do."
#30 Posted by fodigg (6130 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget said:

Man you've got to chill, it's just a movie. You didn't like it, then quit complaining.

And for the record, John's my favourite lantern but guess what, the movie would've bombed if they used him instead of Hal.

Why?
#31 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12392 posts) - - Show Bio

oh yeah because comic Hal Jordan has never used Jets or a fist as constructs before (sarcasm)
#32 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio

Still blame JL...Oh well...Even Kyle was barely seen.

#33 Edited by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:

the only reason that Stewart was on JLU was because he was the token black guy....I said it....Hal Jordan was the first and he's the current Green Lantern that people are reading about...they want people to be able to go out and see the movie then go out and buy some Green Lantern comic books and have Hal in both...it just makes sense....plus having the movie about John would have been an even bigger continuity train wreck than the movie already was...it's like how they tried to make a Steel movie without having it linked to Superman...you can't start a story in the middle

I really didn't want to go there but seriously?!?!? You have thousands of white-male-heterosexual super heros, and you can't have at least one black guy? What about some hispanics? Or asians? Et cetera. Little black kids got to see a bad ass black super hero, and you piss and moan because he wasn't in the background enough??? REALLY!?!? 

And like i said before, in the X-Men movie, it was about Wolverine joining already in existence X-Men. they could have done the same thing with John Stewart and made Hal Jordan an even bigger deal showing him in later installments with the hair being grey on the sides of his head.
#34 Posted by darkcloakx (788 posts) - - Show Bio

because  john stewart is black and black superheroes aren't important as others superheroes. why is that?  because other people can't relate to black superheroes that like saying why can't they get anime right, dbz for example all the characters in the movie are white  shouldn't they all be asian. besides if john stewart was in any GL movie he was have been killed because he's black.  
its just the way things are.

#35 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@Osiris1428 said:
And good luck on a Deadpool movie with Ryan Reynolds. No movie company at this moment is going to shell out money for production on a movie for a comic book character that only 12 people know about. Especially with Ryan Reynolds name attached to it.     

12 people? One of the  reasons they're even going forward with the Deadpool movie is because of the backlash of all the fans about the monstrosity that was in the Wolverine movie. Also, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 made a LOT of people Deadpool fans. Everyone I know who's played has come to me for a starting point on Deadpool comics. And Reynolds (whether he's a good actor or not) attracts people. He's a good looking dude, and he's actually pretty funny (if it works in the right movie (NOT GREEN LANTERN). He'll always have work regardless of how good an actor he is. I can almost bet you that half of the money grossed from his movies comes from women who adore him and want on his man parts... 

Bottom line, there's gonna be a Deadpool movie and Reynolds still maintains his popularity regardless of the film. 
#36 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:
@Osiris1428 said:
And good luck on a Deadpool movie with Ryan Reynolds. No movie company at this moment is going to shell out money for production on a movie for a comic book character that only 12 people know about. Especially with Ryan Reynolds name attached to it.     
 12 people? One of the  reasons they're even going forward with the Deadpool movie is because of the backlash of all the fans about the monstrosity that was in the Wolverine movie. Also, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 made a LOT of people Deadpool fans. Everyone I know who's played has come to me for a starting point on Deadpool comics. And Reynolds (whether he's a good actor or not) attracts people. He's a good looking dude, and he's actually pretty funny (if it works in the right movie (NOT GREEN LANTERN). He'll always have work regardless of how good an actor he is. I can almost bet you that half of the money grossed from his movies comes from women who adore him and want on his man parts...  Bottom line, there's gonna be a Deadpool movie and Reynolds still maintains his popularity regardless of the film. 
LMAO!!! You can actually imagine a movie studio that will shell out at least a $100 million and an audience that will shell out as much? What will it be rated? 'R'? LMAO!!!!! That make it even harder to pitch at a studio,lol!! Face it, it's not gonna happen. A PG 13 Deadpool wouldn't be Deadpool. I just can't see it happening....
#37 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@Osiris1428: A script has been written and a director has been chosen. And why wouldn't be a Deadpool movie? He's got a fanbase, he's got an interesting story to tell, and he's hilarious. 
#38 Posted by darkcloakx (788 posts) - - Show Bio
gambit1024 has a point people will go see ryan reynolds he like wil smith, will smith movies always make money even though they may not be goof
#39 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio

DEADPOOL movie will be “nasty” says Ryan Reynolds

Written by Jason Comic BooksNewsSuperHeroesVideo Jun 12, 2011

Back in December DEADPOOL creator Rob Liefield caused a minor stir when he challenged Fox studios by Tweeting that “Deadpool is not Green Lantern, not a family film. DP is filthy”. Well it looks like his vision for a DEADPOOL film may be exactly what Ryan Reynolds and co have in mind.

MTV News (that’s the Snookie-free wing of the company) sat down with Reynolds during his GREEN LANTERN press tour while on break from filming I imagine four other films. Reynolds, who played Wade Wilson, aka Deadpool in WOLVERINE was more than willing to talk about the selection of visual effects wizard Tim Miller as Director and the type of movie DEADPOOL will be. The watchword is “nasty” kids.

Now while some may hear Reynolds say “the way we want to do it is pretty nasty, and pretty hard. You can’t exactly have a $200 million budget when you want to do a movie like this.” and shiver in fear that DEADPOOL will devolve into some kind of Cormanized mess of bent quips and obvious wire fighting maneuvers but it sure makes me smile.

We don’t need a version of DEADPOOL that is PG-13, benign, and toothless. Another comic book movie that sands down the sharp bits of an outright anti-hero and wraps him up in a focus group approved cloak of redeeming qualities. Wade Wilson is a scarred mercenary, ruthless, hilarious, outright insane, and nearly irredeemable. His depiction shouldn’t be robbed of those unique characteristics in the interest of a mega budget and Thor-esque profit expectations. DEADPOOL needs to be a movie for adults. A comic book adaptation and action film that for once recognizes the fact that adults are a large part of the reading and viewing audience.

Thats the movie Liefield wants and it’s the movie that the overbooked Reynolds apparently plans on making should he ever shake the restraints of Oa and find the time, because while his boundless enthusiasm has kept the project alive his busy schedule may ultimately kill it.

Wanna pick a fanboy word kerfuffle in the comments section over my opinion on the Merc with a Mouth? Lets tango, “Cash”.

91 people "liked" this on Facebook. Boy, is that fandom just waiting for this movie to come out!!!
#40 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

...Ok? All they did was confirm a director, and that Reynolds is still on board. By "nasty" he just means that the movie will be gory which people are obviously ok with. 

#41 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio

I want Alan Scott or Kyle. We already had John in Justice League, it's time to spotlight another GL.

#42 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: Why? Because even to the average movie goer, Hal would be better known. He's the poster boy for everything GL. Look at this way. John Stewart was the main GL in one media outing: Justice League. Hal has been portrayed in Justice League: Final Frontier, Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths, Green Lantern First Flight, Green Lantern Emerald Knights and all the various comics of the past decade. Rebirth, No Fear, Wanted: Hal Jordan, Sinestro Corps, Blackest Knight, Brightest Day. If someone would pick out anyone from the GL's first it would be Hal and not John.

#43 Posted by danhimself (22207 posts) - - Show Bio
@Osiris1428 said:
@danhimself said:

I really didn't want to go there but seriously?!?!? You have thousands of white-male-heterosexual super heros, and you can't have at least one black guy? What about some hispanics? Or asians? Et cetera. Little black kids got to see a bad ass black super hero, and you piss and moan because he wasn't in the background enough??? REALLY!?!?  And like i said before, in the X-Men movie, it was about Wolverine joining already in existence X-Men. they could have done the same thing with John Stewart and made Hal Jordan an even bigger deal showing him in later installments with the hair being grey on the sides of his head.
where exactly did I "piss and moan"?  cause I'm pretty sure that I'm being the reasonable one here

look at it this way....they had already established Kyle Rayner in the DCAU and instead of using him as the Justice League's Green Lantern they shoe horned in John from out of no where with no explanation as to where Kyle was until much later in the series....they needed someone on the line up to not be white so they threw in John Stewart.....that's the way cartoons work now a days...they have to be racially diverse even at the expense of things not making sense...plus the X-men movies sucked...they may have been alright comic book movies but they sucked as all around movies
#44 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget said:

@fodigg: Why? Because even to the average movie goer, Hal would be better known. He's the poster boy for everything GL. Look at this way. John Stewart was the main GL in one media outing: Justice League. Hal has been portrayed in Justice League: Final Frontier, Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths, Green Lantern First Flight, Green Lantern Emerald Knights and all the various comics of the past decade. Rebirth, No Fear, Wanted: Hal Jordan, Sinestro Corps, Blackest Knight, Brightest Day. If someone would pick out anyone from the GL's first it would be Hal and not John.

And my point was no, for the last ten years that is not true. For the average comic book reader, sure. Movie goer, they would have thought the guy from Justice League 
@danhimself
said:
@Osiris1428 said:
@danhimself said:

I really didn't want to go there but seriously?!?!? You have thousands of white-male-heterosexual super heros, and you can't have at least one black guy? What about some hispanics? Or asians? Et cetera. Little black kids got to see a bad ass black super hero, and you piss and moan because he wasn't in the background enough??? REALLY!?!?  And like i said before, in the X-Men movie, it was about Wolverine joining already in existence X-Men. they could have done the same thing with John Stewart and made Hal Jordan an even bigger deal showing him in later installments with the hair being grey on the sides of his head.
where exactly did I "piss and moan"?  cause I'm pretty sure that I'm being the reasonable one here  look at it this way....they had already established Kyle Rayner in the DCAU and instead of using him as the Justice League's Green Lantern they shoe horned in John from out of no where with no explanation as to where Kyle was until much later in the series....they needed someone on the line up to not be white so they threw in John Stewart.....that's the way cartoons work now a days...they have to be racially diverse even at the expense of things not making sense...plus the X-men movies sucked...they may have been alright comic book movies but they sucked as all around movies

Most comics were made by the sixties with segregation and all that other crap. By 2050, whites will be a minority. It makes more sense to make your cartoon/show more inclusive because *gasp* the world doesn't revolve around just one group. Thus, Justice League: SUCCESS!!
#45 Posted by danhimself (22207 posts) - - Show Bio
@Osiris1428: see somewhere along the line you're thinking that I'm stating an opinion...which I'm not...what I'm saying is a fact....I could care less whether it was John or Kyle or Guy or Hal in the series...John being in the show didn't make it a success....you're turning what I said into a racial thing which that's not what I'm trying to say...maybe my own post got off topic but what I was trying to say is that it would be stupid to make the first movie about a character who was a second generation character...like I said....Steel the movie failed not only because of it being a crappy movie but because they tried to make a movie about a character whose origin is directly tied to another character without using that character just because they wanted to make a black superhero movie....I'm all for there being more diversity in comics and movies but whenever they try to shove it in without a good story to go with it then it's going to fail....it's why Jamie Reyes works as the Blue Beetle...sure he's hispanic but they didn't make the character just to make an hispanic character
#46 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
@Osiris1428: see somewhere along the line you're thinking that I'm stating an opinion...which I'm not...what I'm saying is a fact....I could care less whether it was John or Kyle or Guy or Hal in the series...John being in the show didn't make it a success....you're turning what I said into a racial thing which that's not what I'm trying to say...maybe my own post got off topic but what I was trying to say is that it would be stupid to make the first movie about a character who was a second generation character...like I said....Steel the movie failed not only because of it being a crappy movie but because they tried to make a movie about a character whose origin is directly tied to another character without using that character just because they wanted to make a black superhero movie....I'm all for there being more diversity in comics and movies but whenever they try to shove it in without a good story to go with it then it's going to fail....it's why Jamie Reyes works as the Blue Beetle...sure he's hispanic but they didn't make the character just to make an hispanic character
don't worry about it at all man. 
Hal Jordan was the first famous Green Lantern. 
He was arguably the first human green lantern and all the others came second. 
Comic readers would have actually identified more with Kyle Rayner as he was around more in the comics for a lot of us than Hal. 
People can make race an issue about anything and everything. Very hard to try and convince them otherwise.
#47 Posted by RisingBean (3546 posts) - - Show Bio

That is what it seems this is. A race thing. Let us remove the iconic GL and replace him with another because the replacement was on a cartoon that ended five years ago.  

As per the comment that people not involved with comics making the film a success or not. True, but that goes both ways. My wife was interested in the movie simply because Ryan Reynolds was in it.  A lot of people will see the movie for that reason or that they just want to see an action or sci fi movie. Putting in John Stewart might have pleased fans of the character, but there would be a fanboy backlash, as well as not appealing to various other demographics.   

I think I am going to drop out of the thread. I have said my peice and made my points. Outside of the same argument "Gasp, but he was in the cartoon!", nothing new has been brought to the table. 

#48 Posted by Sydpart2 (1092 posts) - - Show Bio
@Osiris1428 said:
THERE WILL BE NO SEQUEL!!! This movie will not make back the over $200 million spent to make it in the box office domestically or worldwide. They might make a reboot, but being that this character is not that well known, you can seriously doubt that.
as of right now, it's made just under half of it's budget back and that's only two weeks in, it should have a two to three month run in theaters so I imagine it should have no problem making back it's full budget.
#49 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Osiris1428: How does that even make sense? Not everyone who watches movies has watched the Justice League TELEVISION show and if they did decide to watch something related to Green Lantern it would be from the select MOVIES they made.

Nice logic.

#50 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio
@RisingBean said:

That is what it seems this is. A race thing. Let us remove the iconic GL and replace him with another because the replacement was on a cartoon that ended five years ago.   As per the comment that people not involved with comics making the film a success or not. True, but that goes both ways. My wife was interested in the movie simply because Ryan Reynolds was in it.  A lot of people will see the movie for that reason or that they just want to see an action or sci fi movie. Putting in John Stewart might have pleased fans of the character, but there would be a fanboy backlash, as well as not appealing to various other demographics.    I think I am going to drop out of the thread. I have said my peice and made my points. Outside of the same argument "Gasp, but he was in the cartoon!", nothing new has been brought to the table.  
That's just the thing, fanboys of the character would have went to see it anyway. They bitch and moan anyway. Batman and Robin. Bat-nipples. Kicking and screaming. They would have went kicking and screaming to the theater, but the ones who have already be familiar with the character from the show would have outnumbered the one who support the comics, and that's the way it always is. Hal Jordan, crying like  little pansy, quitting as soon as he is doubted by his superiors. Still, kicking and screaming. The movie Hal had Kyle's fear, Stewart's complex military weapons, and, well the name of Hal Jordan. The people who buy comics don't push the sales of the comic as much as the one who don't buy the comic. They might watch the movies on Netfix, but little kids who grew up with John Stewart, no matter the color, would have seen the film. It's the Hal Jordan fanboys verses the logic of selling a movie using the previous most well known character. The argument that it would have started in the middle of the story, have you ever heard of this little known movie series called 'Star Wars'?? Episode 4 is the first one the world was introduced to. Guaranteed, if the story was about John Stewart, starring Will Smith, and made more centered on the corps., and searching for Hal, they could have made a movie more interesting than what we have now. Comic fanboys don't amount to much when it comes to tickets sales.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.