Green Lantern essentials after Blackest Night before DCnU?

#1 Edited by rantanplan1980 (28 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm currently a little bit behind with my Green Lantern trades. I have read Flashpoint and started with most of the New 52 books. However someone told me once that Blackest Night is important for the DCnU Green Lantern so I basically kept reading all GL and GLC books until right after BN. Now that I'm finished I don't know what is left that is basically essential for the DCnU.

I've already read that Brightest Day is probably out of continuity now and was basically unimportant to GL anyway and simply a device to bring back Swampy.

Then on the other hand War of the Green Lantern is supposed to be important because it leads directly to the DCnU books.

So given that these are the remaining DCU books, which of them do I need to read / which of them do you recommend?

• Green Lantern Corps: Revolt of the Alpha Lanterns (GLC 21-22 & 48-52)
  • Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors Vol. 1 (GL:EW 1-7)
  • Green Lantern Corps: The Weaponer (GLC 53-57)
  • Green Lantern: War of the Green Lanterns (GL 63-67, GLC 58-60, GL:EW 8-10)
  • War of the Green Lanterns: Aftermath (GLC 61-63, GL:EW 11-13, War Aftermath 1-2)

I will pick all of them up eventually, it's just a bit expensive to get them ALL at once, and by now the DCnU GL and GLC books are kind of blocking me going onward with everything else.

#2 Posted by impossibilly (893 posts) - - Show Bio

War of the Green Lanterns might be the weakest story during Johns's run. If you get by without reading that one, I recommend skipping it. It almost made me drop Green Lantern. This is coming from a huge Geoff Johns Green Lantern fan.

I honestly don't think any of those post-Blackest Night stories are necessary reading. If I had to rank them in terms of quality, I might rank them in the same order you have them listed.

#3 Posted by rantanplan1980 (28 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly don't think any of those post-Blackest Night stories are necessary reading. If I had to rank them in terms of quality, I might rank them in the same order you have them listed.

This is just the reading order :D

#4 Posted by impossibilly (893 posts) - - Show Bio

@impossibilly said:

This is just the reading order :D

Yeah, I know. Unfortunately, I feel that list heads downhill in terms of quality as you head through it.

#5 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

You can really take or leave war of the Green Lanterns. Post Blackest Night (and I'm including Brightest Day in this) there's nothing really revolutionary or thrilling happening in the GL books prior to the New 52 relaunch. This is strictly my opinion...it felt a lot like a holding pattern.

#6 Posted by rantanplan1980 (28 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll jump right into SINESTRO then :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.