Green Lantern Episode 1.23 'Larfleeze' Review

• 56 results
#51 Posted by Skulexander (102 posts) - - Show Bio

@MuyJingo said:

@Death Certificate said:

@MuyJingo: Not watching the entire show from the beginning pretty much missing out on a lot of information. Hell your example of razor shows you didn't pay attention.

I've watched about a quarter of the show. I don't need to watch every episode to see what type of show it is. Now you're just being silly.

As I said, it is clearly a kids show. It's in the same vein as say Ultimate Spiderman. Just not something I care for, but each to their own.

All kids' cartoons are childish to some degree. Even Young Justice. They're kids' cartoons. They're just different, the two of them. Whereas Young Justice is subtle and complex in its storytelling, GL is simple and straightfoward. Young Justice is more suspenseful and better at leaving you off with cliffhangers. YJ is more serious, while GL is lighthearted and humorous. GL's fight scenes are more dynamic, more large-scale, and generally last longer. YJ's fight scenes are just as good, just not as long, and YJ focuses a lot more on strategy and subterfuge. Whereas GL is more about head-to-head combat most of the time. GL deals with serious issues as well, such as love, hate, revenge, killing (although they don't say the word, that is true), rage, whether to kill if it's necessary, etc. Neither's any more childish than the other. They just have different tones. I like them both.

#52 Posted by MuyJingo (1550 posts) - - Show Bio

@Skulexander said:

All kids' cartoons are childish to some degree. Even Young Justice. They're kids' cartoons. They're just different, the two of them. Whereas Young Justice is subtle and complex in its storytelling, GL is simple and straightfoward. Young Justice is more suspenseful and better at leaving you off with cliffhangers. YJ is more serious, while GL is lighthearted and humorous. GL's fight scenes are more dynamic, more large-scale, and generally last longer. YJ's fight scenes are just as good, just not as long, and YJ focuses a lot more on strategy and subterfuge. Whereas GL is more about head-to-head combat most of the time. GL deals with serious issues as well, such as love, hate, revenge, killing (although they don't say the word, that is true), rage, whether to kill if it's necessary, etc. Neither's any more childish than the other. They just have different tones. I like them both.

I think in your paragraph you ended up doing a goob job of why GL is more childish than YJ. You make a good point that all kids cartoons are childish to an extent, but they don't have to be defined by catering to a child audience. I'm 27, I've enjoyed all of the DC animated films that have been released so far, as well as YJ. I have no doubt a great deal of 9 year old also get enjoyment out of the shows and movies. The reason for that is while they have flashy costumes and battles and witty dialog that can appeal to a child, they also deal with relationships, emotions and consequences of actions in a mature way. I think YJ excels at this. The relationships, the betrayals, the obligations and internal conflicts...It's good stuff. GL has nothing that even compares to it. Hal is nothing like Hal from the comics with his ridiculously puffed up chest and he man attitude, the show doesn't deal with anything complex.

I don't think it's a matter of being lightheaded vs serious, it's more than that. GL is all flash and no substance...YJ has substance. Or to put it another way, there is nothing in a GL episode that a 9 year old would have trouble understanding, while the same isn't true for a YJ episode.

#53 Edited by Skulexander (102 posts) - - Show Bio

@MuyJingo: I guess the reason people like it is because it's fun. Good, simple fun. Not everything has to be deep and complex to be enjoyable. Not everything has to make you think in order for you to like it. Like playing chess or playing catch. Chess makes you think. Catch, not so much. But both are fun, and neither is a waste of time. Although, to be honest, I think kids would understand almost all of what goes on in Young Justice. It's not as complicated as you make it sound. Or you're not giving children enough credit. And GL has substance. It addresses certain issues. It's just not as serious about it, like I said.

EDIT: And I'm not trying to put down YJ or anything. It's one of the best cartoons on currently, and I do like it more than GL. I like both though. I just don't think you give GL enough credit.

#54 Posted by MuyJingo (1550 posts) - - Show Bio

@Skulexander said:

@MuyJingo: I guess the reason people like it is because it's fun. Good, simple fun. Not everything has to be deep and complex to be enjoyable. Not everything has to make you think in order for you to like it. Like playing chess or playing catch. Chess makes you think. Catch, not so much. But both are fun, and neither is a waste of time. Although, to be honest, I think kids would understand almost all of what goes on in Young Justice. It's not as complicated as you make it sound. Or you're not giving children enough credit. And GL has substance. It addresses certain issues. It's just not as serious about it, like I said.

EDIT: And I'm not trying to put down YJ or anything. It's one of the best cartoons on currently, and I do like it more than GL. I like both though. I just don't think you give GL enough credit.

GL isn't as serious because it lacks substance.If it has substance, can you give some examples? I don't know why you think I am not giving kids enough credit because I say they may not understand something in YJ. Kids don't tend to have romantic relationships with intricate webs of trust...so they may not understand issues arising from those things. GL doesn't even try to address anything on that level....

#55 Edited by Skulexander (102 posts) - - Show Bio

Examples? In Prisoner of Sinestro, Sinestro purposely killed (albeit indirectly) a dangerous criminal that could jump from the mind of one person to the other. His reason was that it would be too dangerous if it got back to Oa. Hal wasn't so sure about it, because of the Green Lantern code, and Kilowog said he had a point. In the beginning, the relationship between the GLs and Razer wasn't good because Razer was responsible for the death of a GL and some villagers (as far as he knew). In the last episode, the issue of whether they might have to kill Aya if they couldn't reason with her was addressed, since she's threatened to wipe out all life. But she was also their friend for a while. But she basically betrayed them. Several people have died throughout the show. Two of them I can think of were shown being killed. That one Guardian by the Antimonitor, and that one Star Sapphire by Atrocitus. Their names escape me. Aya was shown "killed", although she came back later. Razer's been shown having to deal with his uncontrollable rage issues throughout the show, and trying to clear his conscious and make up for what he's done. And his relationship with Aya has been complicated. The show's themes may not be subtle or addressed constantly, but it does have them. And kids may not have relationships or webs of trust, but they can still understand them.

#56 Posted by Raw_Material (3209 posts) - - Show Bio

Really enjoyed this episode. One of my favorites from the animated series so far. Thought that Larfleeze's voice was a bit more deep and vicious than how I seemed to have depicted him to sound like in the comics; as more of a Dobby (elf from Harry Potter) sounding voice. However, overall the episode was great and thought they created an awesome plot and exceptional moral to the story. I was very happy to see Glomulus make an appearance in this episode even though he popped like a balloon not even a minute in his cameo (poor Glom tried eating Kilowog and Razer...he didn't know better!). All and all, I was really captivated with this episode and can't wait to see more appearances of the Orange Lantern later on down the road.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.