Follow

Green Lantern

Concept » Green Lantern appears in 2496 issues.

A Green Lantern is an officer of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps, who have the ability to overcome great fear with the might of willpower. They possess power rings capable of creating constructs characterized by their will and strength to use it. Each Green Lantern is given a Sector of the Universe to protect and it is their priority to suppress any threat against their sector.

Green Lantern Episode 1.23 'Larfleeze' Review

• 56 results
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Spoilers below!

Shows like this one make me feel like a kid again -- and that's a priceless experience. I don't care how late I'm up on Friday night (4am last night because sometimes you just can't put down the controller, you know?), I set my alarm to make sure I'm up in time to watch Green Lantern: The Animated Series while enjoying a bowl of cereal. This show has been absolutely killing it the past few weeks and the quality of the episodes have been staggeringly impressive. While this is certainly something worth celebrating, it comes as a double-edged sword because we know it's likely the show will soon come to an end as well (thanks for that, Cartoon Network). Anyway, enough of my grumpiness over CN's alleged choice, I'll get back to the episode you came in here to read about.

'Larfleeze' is all about... you guessed it, Larfleeze. The trio of Kilowog, Hal and Razer fly to Okaara to obtain the orange power. Why, you ask? They're desperately seeking a means to help in their struggle against the insanely powerful Anti-Aya-Monitor. Fans of the comics know Larfleeze won't be parting with his battery anytime soon and the result is an action-packed and sometimes hysterical episode.

This episode managed to juggle visceral battles with one-liners very, very well. Razer nailed it with his deadpan delivery twice ("Oh, I get it now. That's hilarious."), Larfleeze's parting offer gave me a chuckle, and the final remark from "Lame-o" plastered a goofy smile on my face. The show has consistently been delivering some really sharp humor.

No Caption Provided

But when this show wasn't making me grin, it was dropping my jaw with intense fights and really impressive visuals. Yet again the show properly illustrates how powerful these characters are. Every strike sends the victim propelling and the impact is nothing less than brutal when the character smashes into or through a wall and the dust kicks up around them. As usual, the constructs look great but they're particularly impressive when orange ones are destroyed and the energy disperses.

If I had to have one complaint about this episode, it's that the mini-cliffhangers before commercial breaks were a bit silly. Twice we're given the generic "the hero is in trouble! Will he make it out of this one?!" moment and of course, they're easily resolved in mere moments.

The "re-introduction" of Aya gave me the chills. Last time we saw her she said she'd find a way to wipe out all life in one strike... it looks like she wasn't kidding. There was once a time where I was cautious about the Razer/Aya relationship. I can now confidently say I was a fool for thinking that and it absolutely looks like we're going to be treated to a gripping and emotionally powerful conclusion to this story.

Gregg Katzman is a freelance writer for Comic Vine and IGN Entertainment. This is the part where he shamelessly plugs his Twitter page in hopes of getting a new follower or two.

frankcmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By frankcmu

Is it bad that I was most excited for this episode so I could learn how to pronounce Larfleeze?... lol :/

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Inverno

HOLY S*** LARFLEEZE?

:OOOOOOO

Why this show keeps getting better while the cancellation is near?

-___-

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ms__omega

Loved the episode only complaint I have is Larfleeze's voice I thought it could be more menacing but thats just me.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Captain13

This was an amazing episode

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5  Edited By noj

Great episode, I only had a few complaints. The biggest problem I had was Larfleeze's voice. While it did hit the right note quite a few times it just wasn't really what I imagined he sounded like. It was too deep. I also think they SERIOUSLY underplayed Larfleeze's power. He is supposed to be a one man corp but the most construct lanterns he had out at a single time was just 2 and he was pretty easily beaten by the crew.

On the other hand Orange Lantern Hal looked AMAZING! I loved the energy all around him and his costume was just too cool.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By SoA

cannot wait for the debut of the indigo tribe , i also like how Aya is used as a substitution for the blackest night arc

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@noj said:

Great episode, I only had a few complaints. The biggest problem I had was Larfleeze's voice. While it did hit the right note quite a few times it just wasn't really what I imagined he sounded like. It was too deep. I also think they SERIOUSLY underplayed Larfleeze's power. He is supposed to be a one man corp but the most construct lanterns he had out at a single time was just 2 and he was pretty easily beaten by the crew.

On the other hand Orange Lantern Hal looked AMAZING! I loved the energy all around him and his costume was just too cool.

Yeah all these years I expected Larfleeze to sound like this

LifePool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LifePool

I think they portrayed Larfleeze really well, as a greedy little kid like thing, as I've never really thought of him as a big threat and more of a character you enjoy just for how unique he is.

Sucks that its being cancelled >.>

xtremekidx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xtremekidx

larfleeze,the greatest lantern ever....

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#10  Edited By StMichalofWilson

Awesome episode! Did anyone loved the scene where Hal referenced a classic Green Lantern comic issue? You know when he had all those rings?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Aya is not messing around with those stars. 

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By agent9149

I loved this episode. Larfleeze is one of my favorites. They hit him right on the nail.

This show keeps getting better.

Avatar image for teamunitednerds
    TeamUnitedNerds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By TeamUnitedNerds

The main problem is that it didn't feel like it connected to anything. The emotion of greed itself wasn't used to tie in with whether or not they should kill Aya. I've been liking this show more and more, but what was just a missed opportunity. It wasn't bad, it could have just been a lot better. And, Larfleeze's voice was decent, but I wanted him to sound a bit more savage.

Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Fantasgasmic

The only thing I didn't like was them knowing from the get go that Larfleeze killed the rest of the Orange Lantern Corps. I would've liked it more if they landed, ran into a bunch of orange lanterns (aside from the couple of Glomuluses) and had to figure out they were just constructs made from stolen souls.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By frozenedge2

@Fantasgasmic: It was kinda obvious Larfleeze killed the rest. He's the only Orange Lantern close the Corps battery. There's usually at least two or three close to something that powerful.

Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Fantasgasmic

@frozenedge: as i recall, in the comics, it wasn't immediately obvious.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#17  Edited By amazing_webhead

Did anyone else think that scene in the trailers with Hal and the rings meant Paralax?

ravisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ravisher

i enjoyed this more than YJ

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lifeboy

Larfleez took a bit of getting used to but when you get settled into bis character, he is halarious. MY STARS!! D-:< Here, take this gift..... no, on second thought, just Go >:-( And also bow about the part where kilowogg is having a heart to heart with jordan about the razr aya relationship and hal is not even listening because his mind is on coveting the orange lantern

Cjjb95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Cjjb95

@StMichalofWilson: yeah I freakin' loved that, thought that was a really nice thrwback

Mokey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mokey

My only complaint was the lack of a HAMBURGERS reference.

Skewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Skewer

Go out and buy the DVDs and merchandise and you might just save this show. It's the only way.

weaponxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By weaponxx

A lot of laughs and nice fights! Larfleeze wasn't as powerful as they first made him seem, but thats okay. Good episode, can't wait for them to catch up with Aya! She better survive all of this... and I hope the show doesn't end on a cliffhanger!

@k4tzm4n: What did you mean by, "There was once a time where I was cautious about the Razer/Aya relationship. I can now confidently say I was a fool for thinking that and it absolutely looks like we're going to be treated to a gripping and emotionally powerful conclusion to this story."?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@weaponx said:

A lot of laughs and nice fights! Larfleeze wasn't as powerful as they first made him seem, but thats okay. Good episode, can't wait for them to catch up with Aya! She better survive all of this... and I hope the show doesn't end on a cliffhanger!

@k4tzm4n:What did you mean by, "There was once a time where I was cautious about the Razer/Aya relationship. I can now confidently say I was a fool for thinking that and it absolutely looks like we're going to be treated to a gripping and emotionally powerful conclusion to this story."?

I was concerned it would be too campy or cheesy when they initially started the relationship. Thankfully, that concern was quickly cast aside.

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By Darkmount1

@Smart_Dork_Dude: I thought Dee Bradley Baker did a great take--besides, if he did it like you described, there'd be too many Gollum comparisons.

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By Darkmount1

@AmazingWebHead: Parallax has been confirmed to appear in this season. He's going to be voiced again by Clancy Brown (who voiced him in the Green Lantern movie).

k9manx90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By k9manx90

THis is the episode I've been waiting for!!! He was drty, greedy, smelly, and he kept sayig his famous line, MINE!!!! BEST EPISODE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28  Edited By arnoldoaad

you know

im not a science guy but there is a huge problem with the science in this show

there was an episode in which a planet was getting hit by an asteroid or something and is just about to hit it so Hal and Co use their powers to delay it and buy more time

but the sole act of delaying it for at least a couple of minutes is more than enough to make the asteroid miss the planet since the planet would keep going on its own rotation and tragectory

even if it wasnt delayed enough to miss the planet at least it would miss the city that the guys were suppose to save

Now here

Aya destroys stars and their light is seen turn off lightyears apart, which shouldnt happen since when a star dies its light is still remains visible to other planets

SCIENCE!!

but other than that this episode was ok

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
    BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#29  Edited By BlueLantern1995

I hope this ends well but to be honest I think:

Aya will be killed by Razer. With All the Lanterns seen thus far in the show watching. It will be a death like Rorschach "Do it" with Aya begging Razer to do it.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#30  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

The only problem I had with this episode was that Larfleeze was taken out faaaaaar to easily other than that it was great. I love Agent Orange

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This episode was amazing! I'd love to see Hal, Kilowog, Guy Gardner, Razer, Saintwalker, Star Sapphire, Sinestro ( with yellow ring) and Larfleeze fight Aya in the last episode!

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MuyJingo

I have no understanding of how adults can sit through this show. It's so childish in a bad way. Good animated shows should appeal to kids without catering completely to them. This show doesn't compare to Young Justice, which is astoundingly impressive.

Not meaning to hate on the show, I just genuinely don't get the appeal.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By lifeboy

K4tzm4 , are you ready for the dc superhero short next week? I think that they ar e going to do a SBBFF's!

weaponxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By weaponxx

@k4tzm4n: Ahh, gotcha. Thanks for explaining. For me their relationship is one of the strongest aspects of the show.

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
    cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

#35  Edited By cosmicallyaware1

I was wondering if we would see larfleeze/agent orange! soooo excited over this episode. Overall it was good, i liked that there were some verbatum parts (if only few) from the comic series. Was disappointed with how few orange constructs larfleeze produced and how he was portrayed physically (kinda like a dog...). would've liked to have seen flashback on the controllers gettin wiped out n larfleezes connection to the guardians.........

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Loved this episode because of Larfleeze! This is MINE episode I tell you...MINE!

Avatar image for death_certificate
    Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MuyJingo said:

I have no understanding of how adults can sit through this show. It's so childish in a bad way. Good animated shows should appeal to kids without catering completely to them. This show doesn't compare to Young Justice, which is astoundingly impressive.

Not meaning to hate on the show, I just genuinely don't get the appeal.

This show actually shows onscreen death, that something alot of shows don't get away with.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MuyJingo

@Death Certificate said:

This show actually shows onscreen death, that something alot of shows don't get away with.

How so? They follow the same rules as kids cartoons, where they can show it but just not say it. Like when Sayd died, they just said she was gone or didn't make it etc.

Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MuyJingo: Gi'ata died on screen, even this episode showed stars disappearing. Even the first two episodes had two green lanterns

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MuyJingo

@Death Certificate said:

@MuyJingo: Gi'ata died on screen, even this episode showed stars disappearing. Even the first two episodes had two green lanterns

It's not new to show characters dieing on screen. Generally the rules were just that they couldn't say kill or death or whatever. Spiderman TAS and Batman TAS dealt with death...

Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MuyJingo said:

@Death Certificate said:

It's not new to show characters dieing on screen. Generally the rules were just that they couldn't say kill or death or whatever. Spiderman TAS and Batman TAS dealt with death...

That show that didn't even allow spider-man to punch someone, and often used "portals" as a cop out for death. My point is that show isn't as childish as you think it is.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MuyJingo

@Death Certificate said:

@MuyJingo said:

@Death Certificate said:

That show that didn't even allow spider-man to punch someone, and often used "portals" as a cop out for death. My point is that show isn't as childish as you think it is.

Not so. I recall reading an article where that show was listed of an example of shows that dealt with death in a good way. And anyway, a show dealing with death is not a good metric of if it is childish or not. I've watched the last 3 episodes before the most recent one because it kept getting 5 star reviews on the site, and was shocked to see how childish it was. Instead of talking about some of the complex issues, they simply it to a child's level (talking down to the audience) and crack jokes.

I can't see how it is even in the same league as YJ, when that show devotes a lot of time to discussing complex issues and showing the emotional ramifications on the characters. GL doesn't do that. I mean, when Aya was thought to be dead, razor moped for a bit and then pretty much went back to normal. Distracted by the need to fight? Sure...but it didn't do a good job of showing that. It showed him being the same as he was before. That's just one example...

Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MuyJingo said:

@Death Certificate said:

@MuyJingo said:

@Death Certificate said:

Not so. I recall reading an article where that show was listed of an example of shows that dealt with death in a good way. And anyway, a show dealing with death is not a good metric of if it is childish or not. I've watched the last 3 episodes before the most recent one because it kept getting 5 star reviews on the site, and was shocked to see how childish it was. Instead of talking about some of the complex issues, they simply it to a child's level (talking down to the audience) and crack jokes.

I can't see how it is even in the same league as YJ, when that show devotes a lot of time to discussing complex issues and showing the emotional ramifications on the characters. GL doesn't do that. I mean, when Aya was thought to be dead, razor moped for a bit and then pretty much went back to normal. Distracted by the need to fight? Sure...but it didn't do a good job of showing that. It showed him being the same as he was before. That's just one example...

That invalidates your opinion by a ton.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MuyJingo

@Death Certificate said:

That invalidates your opinion by a ton.

No, it doesn't. I also watched it when it started, but gave it up for...wait for it....being too childish. I gave it another chance, only to see it hadn't improved in that regard.

Anyway. You don't need to keep defending it. It is childish, it is made for kids, but that's fine. I don't think it's bad that you enjoy it, I just can't understand it.

Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MuyJingo: Not watching the entire show from the beginning pretty much missing out on a lot of information. Hell your example of razor shows you didn't pay attention.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MuyJingo

@Death Certificate said:

@MuyJingo: Not watching the entire show from the beginning pretty much missing out on a lot of information. Hell your example of razor shows you didn't pay attention.

I've watched about a quarter of the show. I don't need to watch every episode to see what type of show it is. Now you're just being silly.

As I said, it is clearly a kids show. It's in the same vein as say Ultimate Spiderman. Just not something I care for, but each to their own.

Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MuyJingo said:

@Death Certificate said:

I've watched about a quarter of the show. I don't need to watch every episode to see what type of show it is. Now you're just being silly.

As I said, it is clearly a kids show. It's in the same vein as say Ultimate Spiderman. Just not something I care for, but each to their own.

Razor is character that has troubles expressing emotions due to losing his wife. If you watched the show from the begining, you wouldn't be questioning his awkward reactions aya considering the fact she modeled herself after Razor dead wife.

When the green lantern decides to dumb down with 4th wall jokes, the comparison would be accurate.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

http://www.comicvine.com/news/help-save-green-lantern-the-animated-series/146107/

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#49  Edited By Jenkale

@Ms. Omega: i had a problem with the voice too but for the opposite reason. i thought his voice should have been lighter, more humorous. that's the thing i love about larfleeze, he's funny crazy nut

JV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By JV

Can someone just give me a brief catch up. I watched last season and this season has been hit or miss b/c of weekend morning games for my kids. We saw the last two episodes, however I am unclear how Aya was destroyed and then came back? And how is Aya so powerful? I saw that she was putting out "sun's"? I know she and Razor started having feelings, but what is her motive? To destroy all colors of feeling?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.