Follow

Green Lantern

Concept » Green Lantern appears in 2501 issues.

A Green Lantern is an officer of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps, who have the ability to overcome great fear with the might of willpower. They possess power rings capable of creating constructs characterized by their will and strength to use it. Each Green Lantern is given a Sector of the Universe to protect and it is their priority to suppress any threat against their sector.

Green Lantern Director Martin Campbell Talks Movie Elements

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    All of the pieces to the Green Lantern movie are starting to fall into place.  We now know who has been cast in the major roles for the movie.  The other day I was asked if I thought this would be a blockbuster movie.  Yes we all know about Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps but you have to consider the average movie-goer.  Green Lantern doesn't have the same recognition as Batman or Spider-Man.  As far as Warner Bros. is concerned, they need this to be a hit in order to have another successful franchise on their hands.  

Filming is set to begin in March.  Recently director Martin Campbell spoke about some of the elements in the movie.  In talking to the LA Times, Campbell discussed his thoughts on taking on this movie.

"It's a departure for me, I've never done a super hero before. What I like about this hero and this story is it's all about will power. It's also about fear and about courage. It's not just a spandex suit movie. He doesn't just put on the suit and fly off and face evil kryptonite and all that. There is a Flash Gordon element to it, this is a superhero who goes to another planet and that's different than the rest. That opens up a lot of interesting options." 

A question I've had over this movie is which Hal Jordan will we get.  Back in November, Ryan Reynolds discussed that movie wouldn't be completely focusing on the origin.  Today, Devin Faraci posted that Campbell informed him about further elements of the movie.

"[t]he hotshot military guy who is slightly f###ed up. He screws up a bit. He may be a hotshot as a pilot, but he also has chinks in his armor, which is what makes him interesting. In fact if anybody should not be chosen as Green Lantern, it would have been Hal Jordan. That's the journey that film takes, about somebody who on the surface of it is the least likely candidate to become one of the greatest Green Lanterns."

What we will have is the hero that has to build himself up to be that great hero.  Too often we see the lead character being a perfect and noble person that jumps into their new role with gusto.  I do like the idea of Hal not being the perfect hero and slowly coming to terms with what is right and what is not.  I recall when Emerald Dawn came out in 1989 and Hal was definitely far from perfect.  People were pissed but eventually Hal evolved.  I think that's important for a character.  I don't think people want to simply see the perfect hero running around fighting evil all the time.  Let's see some evolution to the character.

Have you read Emerald Dawn and Emerald Dawn II?  Do you like the elements of Hal being a little messed up at first?  Do you think this movie can be as successful as The Dark Knight?
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By xerox_kitty

I've sid it before & I'll say it again; I have a good feeling about this.

Avatar image for deactivated-60204c6c569bf
    deactivated-60204c6c569bf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 20

Sounds good.  I haven't actually read those stories but do know there are a few fans who were miffed about him being made out to be an alcoholic and sent to jail.  I have no idea why.  Iron Man/Tony Stark had been an alcoholic for years and people weren't as worked up about it.  I like the idea of making characters more human than Superman, it makes them easier to relate to.

Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Namor1987

agreed

burr787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By burr787

I really hope that this movie turns out good.

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By EdwardWindsor

really looking foward to this , and not just becasue it will speed up deadpool realese either lol, thats just an added bonus

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6  Edited By FoxxFireArt

I think Green Lantern has a pretty fair footing in popular culture outside of your regular comic book character. I doubt most even knew Wanted! was based on a comic.  I think Green Lantern is a bit easier, because of his role in the old cartoon The Super Friends.

I would probably be pretty surprised if this will be as successful as Dark Knight. What the Batman movies have going for them is that they are more grounded in reality. Well, at least the most previous movies. Green Lantern really is just a man with a ring, but I'm curious how much reality you are going to lose once he starts creating constructs out of green light energy.

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By johnny_spam

I read Emerald Dawn and half of New Frontier still have not read Geoff Johns' Green Lantern Secret Origin it might be the most retold superhero origin other than Batman and Superman's but that origin is needed for superheroes not as known.

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Mbecks14

As i've said before, i'm really excited for this movie!! and i think they'll do a good job!

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Caligula

As successful as "the Dark Knight" I don't know if i'd go that far, but I think it will be a big enough crowd pleaser to garner attention and claim a sequel. However, I don't think that it will do well opening night, I have a feeling this one is gonna be a great film, but it won't spark the average person's interest. But however I think it's going to be good enough to grab the attention of the ones who do go see it, and I think they will like it, and it will become more popular as word of mouth spreads.
    AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By AngelFrost

I think it can be successful, if it is done right. But I'm having doubts at the special effects side of things ... because I can just see it going totally cheesey.

crazed_h3ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By crazed_h3ro

This is going to be a great movie...^^

Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bandito

Will it be as successful as The Dark Knight

Uh, only if Heath Ledger plays the Joker in it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

I want this movie to be good, but what about non comic book fans this seems a little too out of there and well all we can do is hope.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By goldenkey

this is DC's Iron man.  Has the potential to be a lot like it having a "hot shot" character and an actor that is good with sarcasim in his approach to his roles.  No one thought that shit talking Tony Stark would work and it did in Iron Man. I see the producers do a similar approach. 
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By goldenkey
    @reaper2923 said:
    "I want this movie to be good, but what about non comic book fans this seems a little too out of there and well all we can do is hope. "

I think the only thing that would make this fail is the Sci-fi material in it and thats a lot.  Sci-fi either do huge or bomb drasticly, but because of all the good comic book movies out there it's gonna depend on a good comercial.  Iron Man had a great commercial and sold it well.  I think they'll make simple in the plot and won't get to scientific and more character driven.  If they get to difficult for non comic fans to follow along they're screwed, don't think that'll happen tho.
    Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Theodore

This is shaping up to be an awesome movie!

Argentino_18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Argentino_18

I've got a good feeling about...

ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18  Edited By ComicCrazy

Wow this sounds like its going to be really good.
    Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Agent Buttons
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " I've said it before & I'll say it again; I have a good feeling about this. "
    me too
    deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

I've read Emerald Dawn, not the sequel. I'll have to pick that up.  

If this movie is done well, it could be DC's Iron Man. They need something like that. We're sort of waiting for the next Batman movie, the next Superman movie. Hopefully this will not have a "grim and gritty" approach. Maybe this will get some movement on DC movies...  

greenenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By greenenvy

Sounds good and I hope this becomes the next star wars in a way. I want star wars fans and other fans of sci fi people  to adopt green lantern in a  new perspective. This movie should have loads of aliens of all kinds good and bad and many worlds to visit while in a number of battles. They are still not really explaining that so untill they talk about that then I will be completely satisfied.
    Avatar image for emerald_warrior
    Emerald Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Emerald Warrior

" Have you read Emerald Dawn and Emerald Dawn II? "
     YES, they're really great books, but in my opinion, Secret Origin is much more a heroe's journey story, than the self-pitying, self-hating, drunk, dumbass, who gets his friend killed-story from ED. I like the GL part of Emerald Dawn better though. 

" Do you like the elements of Hal being a little messed up at first? "     
    Yes, I just hope we don't get a Sam Raimi-like take on Hal, Hal's stubborn, headstrong and doesn't really know what to do with his life prior to getting the ring, but he's NOT a loser who never gets anything in life right... (yes, spidey is just that...)

Do you think this movie can be as successful as The Dark Knight?      
    Simply put?...NO. It took 6 Batman films to get a really great one. And Bale in TDK wasn't all that great with his Batman... I mean, when have you ever seen Batman crying over a dead girlfriend in the comics?! that was a little too "Twilight" for me... 

I'm a huge GL fan, so everything coming from Cambell, especially the "It's my first superhero movie" bit, makes me anxious... =$

buns134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By buns134
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " I've sid it before & I'll say it again; I have a good feeling about this. "
    second
    JimmyKudo09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JimmyKudo09

I am definitely going to see this.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By NightFang3

Looks likt this movie will be pertty good, after all.

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Icon

It's not just a spandex suit movie. He doesn't just put on the suit and fly off and face evil kryptonite and all that. There is a Flash Gordon element to it, this is a superhero who goes to another planet and that's different than the rest.  

Going to another planet is not all that unique in comics, but I can appreciate what Martin Campbell means by this. There are things that make Green Lantern unique, but it's annoying when someone feels that they have to denigrate something else to make their own thing sound good. You can talk about what makes a character good without making other characters sound stupid. His comment about his film not being just a "spandex suit movie" where the hero goes off to fight "evil kryptonite" is obviously a veiled criticism of Superman in particular and all superheroes in general, and it's a dumb one. I am no Superman fan, but I recognize that there is a lot more to that character than just a guy in spandex, and that is true of most superheroes. You can point to things about many of them that are unique without sounding pretentious. Green Lantern is still a superhero after all. Anyway, I guess I just don't like those sort of blanket statements that are dismissive of a whole genre.
    TheBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By TheBug

He gets Hal.
    Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bandito
    @Icon said:
    "

It's not just a spandex suit movie. He doesn't just put on the suit and fly off and face evil kryptonite and all that. There is a Flash Gordon element to it, this is a superhero who goes to another planet and that's different than the rest.  

Going to another planet is not all that unique in comics, but I can appreciate what Martin Campbell means by this. "
    Maybe he was referring to the superheroes we've seen in film so far.  Maybe
    Avatar image for comicbufftoughstuff
    comicbufftoughstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

Indeed I am looking forward to this, if Iron Man could work, Green Lantern can too. To people who don't read comics, movies and television are the most access they have to comic lore. This movie will make GL more accessible...and those people who don't read comics, but know who GL is... will just be surprised he isn't black.

Jabor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jabor

Green Lantern needs to be powerful as Superman and more human than Batman. The perfect movement to this franchise will be make a trilogy based on:
    First Movie: Green Lantern origins 
    Second Movie: Green Lantern Emerald Dawn II
    Third Movie: Sinestro Corps War

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By Moomin123

I think this movie will be fantastic, but I don't think it'll amount to as much greatness as the Dark Knight. I hope Green Lantern is a little bit of an origin story, because then people who don't know about Green Lantern then can get to know the character more.
    Archetype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Archetype

"In fact if anybody should not be chosen as Green Lantern, it would have been Hal Jordan."

of course because the ring was supposed to chose Guy Gardner...

This movie will rock especially if they include some of the other more obscure lanterns.

Chane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By Chane

I prefer Emerald Dawn and  Emerald Dawn II over Secret Origin personally. I wonder if they'll keep Guy in it if they go down the  Emerald Dawn route.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.