Follow

Green Lantern

Concept » Green Lantern appears in 2502 issues.

A Green Lantern is an officer of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps, who have the ability to overcome great fear with the might of willpower. They possess power rings capable of creating constructs characterized by their will and strength to use it. Each Green Lantern is given a Sector of the Universe to protect and it is their priority to suppress any threat against their sector.

Green Lantern comic and movie recommendation.

brainwins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By brainwins

Hi, I'd like to know more about Green Lantern. Can I get one or two comic series recommendations? And if there's a movie (animated) or two that I should know about, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks.

harleyquinn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 21

#2  Edited By harleyquinn12

Read the Green Lantern:Secret Origin trade, and then Blackest Night. These are really good stories that show you how what Green Lantern is about.
    lady_sinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By lady_sinestro

There are two animated movies, too! Emerald Knights and First Flight. Neither get it quite right, in terms of comic canon, but I still think they're both worth checking out, particularly Emerald Knights. Nice animation. XD 

But I agree about Secret Origin- I just picked it up and it's really great.

Avatar image for theselfproclaimednerd
    theselfproclaimednerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@brainwins: Yeah, secret origin is a great way to start! 
     GL: First Flight is my pick of the 2 animated movies. 
    After Secret Origin, you can either jump into Blackest Night, or head to the beginning of the current writer's run. That's Green Lantern Rebirth. You may find blackest night a tad difficult to follow. There are a lot of characters! plus, you need to buy three volumes to follow Blackest Night properly, and you have to read them in a crazy order where you switch between books every 20-30 pages. Point is, you may be overwhelmed jumping in to Blackest Night after Secret Origin.

Basically, Green Lantern went through a very rough patch in the 90's, and was sidelined during the first half of the 2000's. Then in 2005(ish) writer Geoff Johns wrote Green Lantern Rebirth. Subsequently, he has propelled Green Lantern to new heights, arguably higher than ever before. 

That gives you 2 starting points: Rebirth and Secret Origins. 

Shoot me a PM if you'd like more info on reading order.  
    If you decide to start with Rebirth, again shoot me a pm. You may like some context for the story.  

Glad to see a new fan taking interest!
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By danhimself

First Flight was a pretty good movie....I fell asleep during Emerald Knights and haven't tried to watch it again since

brainwins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By brainwins

@harleyquinn12: Thanks. I'll buy them this weekend. I've always liked what I've heard about him, but it seemed too complex.

@lady_sinestro: Cool. I'm gonna get them today on my way home.

@theselfproclaimednerd: Awesome, thanks for the lengthy replay. I guess I'll start with Secret Origin, then. I'm buying First Flight today, too. So I hope I'll get into Green Lantern pretty soon. I'll surely PM you if I have any doubts. Thank again.

DcMarvelUnity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DcMarvelUnity
    @brainwins said:

Hi, I'd like to know more about Green Lantern. Can I get one or two comic series recommendations? And if there's a movie (animated) or two that I should know about, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks.

Hey dude! If you're into more artistic, complex and creative stories, Green Lantern Mosaic is what you're looking for. I've been a Green Lantern fan for over 20 years and I've read everything I could get my hands on, and I'd say Mosaic is the best Green Lantern story arc of all time. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.