Follow

Green Lantern

Concept » Green Lantern appears in 2502 issues.

A Green Lantern is an officer of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps, who have the ability to overcome great fear with the might of willpower. They possess power rings capable of creating constructs characterized by their will and strength to use it. Each Green Lantern is given a Sector of the Universe to protect and it is their priority to suppress any threat against their sector.

Green Lantern 2 - WB already had sequel develop; Embargo related?

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jordanstine

(Credit to CBR) Regarding the news about Warner Bros placing an Embargo for movie reviews for Green Lantern...

Well, apparently not only is it because the reviews were bad... but also because WB is already in the middle of development for the Green Lantern sequel. 

In other words, they could stand to lose MORE than the $300 million they put into the 1st movie if it doesn't do well, coz that will basically halt any chance of the sequel already in development, and lose more $$$ on the cost on the already on-going production.

That's Hollywood for you, but apparently WB counted their chickens before the eggs even hatched.

Warner Bros. was already in development for a Green Lantern sequel

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1665719/green-lantern-sequel-ryan-reynolds.jhtml

Ryan Reynolds was still busy in a blue-screen studio bringing the starry magic of "Green Lantern" to life when Warner Bros. started moving ahead with plans for a sequel.

But with the first flick not hitting theaters until this Friday, the actor isn't going to spill all the details.

"I'm not throwing that out there at all," he said.

He did, nonetheless, toss us a few clues — most tantalizingly about what's in store for Jordan and Sinestro, an ally who eventually becomes one of Jordan's greatest enemies. "There's such a rich history with this character, so you get really excited about the possibility," Reynolds explained. "The inevitable war between Hal and Sinestro is something that will have to be dealt with in the second movie for sure, but there's always subplots and a lot of other interesting things going on that are setting up a possible third film."
    Ooh and a 3rd film too!
    Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Adnan

Regardless of bad reviews, theres no way the movie will financially bomb in theatres though...right?

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jordanstine
    @Adnan said:
    Regardless of bad reviews, theres no way the movie will financially bomb in theatres though...right?
    If it follows the Transformers route, then no.

Especially if it's a movie suited for kids, which Green Lantern is.

But still... you want a good movie to go along with being a cash cow.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Gambit1024
    @Adnan: Not a chance. This movie has no competition atm, so this will be a box-office winner.... At least until Cars 2 next week. 
    Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Adnan
    @Jordanstine: @Gambit1024: I'll be honest, I'd rather the movie only perform average in theatres. It'll force them to do better, y'know? (in theory)
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gambit1024
    @Adnan said:
    @Jordanstine: @Gambit1024: I'll be honest, I'd rather the movie only perform average in theatres. It'll force them to do better, y'know? (in theory)
    I agree, but unfortunately I don't think that'll happen :/ 

Ah well... at least we can still hope for Superman, right? :D
    Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Adnan
    @Gambit1024: I hope Superman is good. Zack Snyder is really hit and miss as a director - for me. I enjoyed Watchmen and Dawn of the Dead, but didn't really like 300 or Sucker Punch all that much. Heres hoping he gets Superman right...
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gambit1024
    @Adnan said:

@Gambit1024: I hope Superman is good. Zack Snyder is really hit and miss as a director - for me. I enjoyed Watchmen and Dawn of the Dead, but didn't really like 300 or Sucker Punch all that much. Heres hoping he gets Superman right...

I wouldn't worry about a thing. Watchmen and Dawn of the Dead were great. I personally am a huge 300 fan (but I never read the book so it could've sucked compared to it for all I know). Sucker Punch was only bad because Zack is a brilliant man when he's given source material, but he can't come up with a good plot by himself. The dude is incredibly creative though. Sucker Punch's visual effects were that film's only saving grace. I have full confidence in Zack for Superman because a) he's literally got almost a century's worth of source material, b) Chris Nolan's behind the actual plot, and c) this is WAY too important to fail. Like, seriously, if he fails at this, it could break his career.
    Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Adnan
    @Gambit1024: That makes me feel a lot more hopeful. But I thought Nolan wasn't involved anymore? I'm not sure where I heard that though...

And I guess 300 just wasn't my kind of movie, I know lots of people enjoyed it.
    Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Osiris1428

Green Lantern wasn't all that great. It just was kind of boring, and the last fight did not pay off. When it ended I was still waiting for the movie to "start" if you know what I mean. Should have just been made for TV.

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By roadbuster
    @Jordanstine said:

. . . because WB is already in the middle of development for the Green Lantern sequel. 

. . . halt any chance of the sequel already in development, and lose more $$$ on the cost on the already on-going production.

Warner Bros. was already in development for a Green Lantern sequel

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1665719/green-lantern-sequel-ryan-reynolds.jhtml

Ryan Reynolds was still busy in a blue-screen studio bringing the starry magic of "Green Lantern" to life when Warner Bros. started moving ahead with plans for a sequel."
    You're over-reaching there just a bit. 

There's a great gulf between "moving ahead with plans" and "already in development" / "already on-going production." 

In fact, the original MTV article NEVER uses the words "development" OR "production" even once and refers only to "plots." 

With early draft screenwriters being amongst the least costly part of film making. 

Ryan's comments are merely a practical and logical conclusion... that such and such story elements would have to- as a matter of logic and practicality- take place during such and such film.... not confirmation that such and such film was in production.  Put another way, concurrent or near simultaneous movie production is a BIG DEAL and there's no way to hide it, even with embargoes, so if the WB was in the hole to that extent we'd know about it already without question.  Much more likely, the studio has several writers submitting early sequel drafts... which is ultimately a drop in the bucket, not any kind of serious sunk cost. 

That said, obviously the plan was always to launch a franchise so much of the investment would inherently looked at as development costs to be made up by the sequels (reusing CG elements, design work, etc) so there's an argument- and certainly a precedent- dictating they continue forwards irrespective of the first film's potential under-performance.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gambit1024
    @Adnan: From what I understand, Nolan pitched the ideas he had to Zack and because of that, Zack decided to direct.
    Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Icon

@Adnan: @Gambit1024: This is from Box Office Mojo

"This weekend, Green Lantern's light was more red than green, but the comic book adaptation still drew an estimated $52.7 million on approximately 7,200 screens at 3,816 locations.
    Green Lantern's start landed behind X-Men: First Class's $55.1 million and Thor's $65.7 million. It was also less than The Incredible Hulk and the two Fantastic Four movies, and the attendance disparity was even greater. Green Lantern's estimated attendance was even lower than Daredevil and Ghost Rider."

$52.7 million might not sound like a bad start but it has to be really disappointing for WB who threw a lot more money at this film than those other superhero movies had. If there is a drop off in attendance in the coming weeks, and that is expected given the weak reviews GL is getting and the upcoming competition from Pixar's Cars 2 (and then Transformers, then Harry Potter, etc) then I think a Green Lantern sequel is looking quite unlikely.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gambit1024
    @Icon: Wow, that's kind of upsetting. I'm not saying that GL should've earned more, but this doesn't look too bright for other DC comic heroes (particularly the Flash). But hey, if they're making a Ghost Rider sequel, anything is possible, right? I have no doubt that WB will make another one, regardless. Whether or not it will star Reynolds (or even Hal Jordan for that matter) is a different story. Maybe we'll get a Kyle Rayner movie or a GLC movie somewhere down the line?
    Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Icon

@Gambit1024: I agree. DC/WB will probably find a way around this. They might make their Justice League film eventually and if that does well they could spin off characters (like Flash and maybe even GL) into their own movies. Also, Green Lantern might do well overseas and if it still makes money somehow then a sequel is not out of the question, yet. Like you said - anything is possible. And I'd like a Flash movie too to be honest.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gambit1024
    @Icon said:

@Gambit1024: I agree. DC/WB will probably find a way around this. They might make their Justice League film eventually and if that does well they could spin off characters (like Flash and maybe even GL) into their own movies. Also, Green Lantern might do well overseas and if it still makes money somehow then a sequel is not out of the question, yet. Like you said - anything is possible. And I'd like a Flash movie too to be honest.

Also, today is Father's Day. Idk about anyone else here, but when we have nothing planned, I take my dad to the movies. So I think that might add even more money on the final numbers for the weekend. Do you think WB would make a JLA movie and then make spin-offs, or they'd do the "Marvel approach" and have them cross over into one film? To be honest, I don't think we'll see a JLA movie any time soon because of the budget they'd need for something like that. But WB has some deep pockets, so maybe one day we'll see it? Also, Flash is one of the movies I need to see in my lifetime. I think of all the superheroes (for both Marvel and DC), Flash would be the easiest to make a film franchise off of. 
    Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Icon

@Gambit1024: You may be right. I'm just speculating about a JLA movie coming out before stand alone character films because that seems to be what WB wants to do. Every couple years we hear plans of a JLA film even though there aren't films leading up to it like Marvel does with their Avengers characters. I prefer the Marvel approach but I don't think WB will put as much effort into their strategy. You're so right though. There are a lot of things to consider when making a JLA film and I think that is one of teh reasons it hasn't gotten off the ground yet.

I think Flash could be a great series too, and not hard to do at all. The writers behind Green Lantern are the ones developing Flash though, so that doesn't inspire confidence in me. lol

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gambit1024
    @Icon:  I like Marvel's approach too, but I also feel that WB wouldn't do that. WB has been sitting on their hands for a while, now that I think about it. With the vast library of DC characters they have at their disposal, the only ones that made it out were Superman, Batman, Jonah Hex, and Green Lantern. I don't need to tell you which ones actually worked out for them, lol. Maybe WB's just been waiting till Harry Potter's done to get the DC heroes started (just a thought)... I guess with the end of the Harry Potter franchise, WB will finally be spending big bucks on these characters and their franchises?

Hey do you remember a few years back when they said that if they were to make a JLA movie, it'd be shot Beowulf style? I think that would've been a great idea tbh. I just don't know if that be more expensive than a live action film.
    MutenRoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MutenRoshi

it might continue as an animated feature

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.