Follow

Green Lantern

Concept » Green Lantern appears in 2504 issues.

A Green Lantern is an officer of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps, who have the ability to overcome great fear with the might of willpower. They possess power rings capable of creating constructs characterized by their will and strength to use it. Each Green Lantern is given a Sector of the Universe to protect and it is their priority to suppress any threat against their sector.

DC Animated Projects Canceled

• 124 results
    No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here
    No Second Flight in the works.
    No Second Flight in the works.

Bruce Timm recently told ThinkMcFlyThink.com that a number of such projects have been canceled due to the under-performance of GREEN LANTERN: FIRST FLIGHT and the WONDER WOMAN movie. The latter’s performance was so underwhelming, in fact, that DC Animated has sworn off doing any superheroine features for the foreseeable future. They were actually planning to do an adaptation of BATGIRL: YEAR ONE, but that project’s been canceled, now. The DVDs proved to be successful eventually, matching the sales of NEW FRONTIER, but they took so long to reach those levels that WB’s corporate people don’t believe that sequels are warranted. Timm still hopes that the potential blockbuster performance of the GREEN LANTERN movie might call for more toon adventures of the Ring Slinger.

Another project that’s been canceled is the adaptation of the “ Judas Contract” storyline from TEEN TITANS. It was one of the first of these projects to be announced, a couple years ago now, and I believe it was to have Marv Wolfman and George Perez involved in some capacity. I don’t remember when or if an AQUAMAN feature was announced, but Timm has said that’s been canceled, as well. He also said that the DC animated staff isn’t interested in doing adaptations of Jeph Loeb’s HUSH and THE LONG HALLOWEEN storylines because they’re far too complex to boil down into shorter features.

I’d interject that fans have already gotten a feature-length, live-action adaptation of THE LONG HALLOWEEN with THE DARK KNIGHT, which cherry picked plot elements from that series along with the KILLING JOKE.

So that’s seven possible projects shot down. The only one Timm thinks might be a possibility, right now, is a return to BATMAN BEYOND. However, he stresses that such a project is a long way off if it’ll ever happen.

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. Pre-order the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover now on Amazon.com.

Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Kurrent

WHAT!!! The Judas Contract would have made a great movie!

The Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2  Edited By The Jeff

Hush would be a great animated feature. Just imagine Jim Lee's art...in motion! Add Kevin Conroy's voice and a few other from BTAS! I would probably OD on awesomeness

mightiness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By mightiness

No I really wanted to see the Judas Contract.

RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By RedK

this is bad news, I'v been waiting ages for the judas contract. at least their is a liitle hope for batman beyond

shugtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By shugtastic

this sucks.  i admit to being underwhelmed by the Wonder Woman movie, but i LOVED GL: First Flight.  granted, it too quite a few liberties with characters, but i thought it was a darned cool movie!
    Bathory1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bathory1313

I'm really disappointed, I really enjoy the direct to DVD movies that DC and Marvel were producing, I can't wait until Under the Red hood is released 

ldg220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ldg220

Wait does this mean that Batman: Under The Red Hood is cancelled too, cause that would suck...GL First Flight was awesome they should totally do a sequel

Avatar image for emerald_general_jai
    Emerald_General_Jai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

That...sucks. So the best i can do is buy the Red Hood movie n hope it helps...but i dnt wanna. (I mean i own the others...but...) We shall see. 

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

<-Disappointed

moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By moviegeek17

a sad day for comic book fans :(

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#11  Edited By No_Name_

This is SO UPSETTING. That WW film was INCREDIBLE.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12  Edited By The_Martian

I can't believe this. The animated films  were amazing!

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By SevanGrim

TITANS! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
     balls. we all need to buy 2 copies of Under The Hood when it comes out, then maybe they'll reconsider.
    ...and what where they expecting exactly? they didnt hype them nearly enough, and its not like theres some bug hype around ww right now that would make people interested. Stupid. I hate business people sometimes...

theWarren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By theWarren

So basically we're down to Batman, Superman or ensemble movies only?  Lame.  This is the perfect place to make smaller characters shine.  If Marvel is looking to make live action movies of some of their smaller characters, you'd think it actually be cheaper to do an animated movie of some of DC's up and comers. 

Perhaps these don't do very well is that everyone just Netflixes them and don't buy them.  I can't even remember the last DVD\BR i bought. 

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bruce Vain

Maaaaan this is BOGUS !!! Wonder Woman just doesn't get any love from Warner Bro's. That animated film was the shit along with Green Lantern. They were waaaay better than Frontier.
    Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By Neverpraying

WOW this sucks :(

xkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By xkoenig

Very disappointing.

AndyKeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AndyKeel

WTF????????!!!!!!!!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By danhimself

no Batgirl: Year One??!?!?!?!  THAT SUCKS!!!!!

Green Lantern and Wonder Woman were both 2 of the best animated films that DC has released...this news is insane and where's my Flash animated movie???

also wasn't there news of a CGI Green Lantern cartoon made for tv???

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Really? Batgirl : Year One? awww now I'm seriously sad now :( no Flash no more GL no more WW this is horrible

blackcanaryguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By blackcanaryguy

I just don't get it. I was under the impression that they were doing well.

deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

Well, that sucks. It's probably all my fault. Thanks for the guilt tripBruce Timm! As much as I like Wonder Woman, it's just not enough to get me to pick up her regular title; the box-sets for the live action series, or the animated movie. The animated movie is on my Netflix list. 

I did buy the Green Lantern movie. I have a feeling that a GL animated sequel will happen after next June 17th. That'll probably be a given. 

I thought there was definitely going to be a Public Enemies sequel...Does this mean that all DC Animated movies have been scrapped, or just the ones deemed "Lindsay Lohan - unbankable"? 

Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Theodore

NOOOOOOO

blackcanaryguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By blackcanaryguy

Isn't the point of releasing them to DVD that they have a long lifetime to make a profit?  Why does it matter that it took a little longer to meet expectations as long as it does so and continues to make money for the company?

MrCipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MrCipher

NOOOOOO!!!! GL and WW were both so awesome! How could they "underperform" next to New Frontier? Comparing WW and GL to New Frontier, Bats/Supes and Doomsday I would take the WW and GL any day. 

UGHHHHH! This is crap!

Avatar image for lokein_lyesmith
    Lokein.Lyesmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Lokein.Lyesmith

Christ on a Cracker. I can't believe no one has picked up on this line yet. 

".... in fact, that DC Animated has sworn off doing any superheroine features for the foreseeable future"

Wonder Woman movie didn't make millions it's first week out, so now NO female super-hero movies? Yeah. That's the answer. Because it's not at all possible for other female supers to do as well, or BETTER than WW. Sheesh.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27  Edited By FoxxFireArt
    I had lost interest in several of the coming DC animated movies. Only because Kevin Conroy wasn't playing Batman. Far as I'm concerned, he is the voice of Batman.

@Babs: 
    Seconded, Third even. I rented the Wonder Woman animated movie a while back based upon your recommendation of it. I really enjoyed that movie. It really gave me a perspective on the character and those around her that I have never thought of before. Not surprising considering who one of the writers was for the movie.
    I even have some interesting thoughts on the motivations of Diana's mother, Hippolyta; because of the way the movie depicted her.

One of the touches I liked was in the motivations and characterizations of many of the amazons. Even the touch of making Hades appear like the most iconic images for Greek Hedonism was a way I never imagined for the character, but really fits. 
    It's sad there wont be a sequel at all. To even go so far as to remove any hope of one as well.

Though, I never liked the Invisible Jet.
    The_Warlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By The_Warlord

This f*  upped my day

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By goldenkey

they should do the much longer stories like Hush and Long Halloween in 2 parters.  I wouldn't mind a longer movie anyway. 

Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Grendel

Kinda sexist, really.

And Batgirl Year One was awesome and not just because I effing love Firefly.

Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32  Edited By Cherry Bomb

no Batgirl?  - that sucks.

rasx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By rasx

Dissapointed...those movies were great. 
    Technically the JUDAS CONTRACT was done in TEEN TITANS season 2 of the cartoon. 
    Marvel is already leading DC with movies now they'll lead in animated features too.
    cold_fuzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34  Edited By cold_fuzion

Wonder Woman was one of, if not the, best of the animated DC movies. This stinks. I've been a good boy and bought them all so far. So I waited a few months on a couple of them? So what?

I hate the way business is done anymore. If the proper margins aren't met quickly enough, then clearly it's bad business and must never be repeated. Nobody has patience anymore.

moffattbooks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35  Edited By moffattbooks1

and I was having such a good day too :(  What are they comparing these numbers to???  DC comic movies are a small niche so they should be grateful they are making any money off them when they stock them at Best Buy....I sense the work of greed here,..Larfreeze stop it!!!
    Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#36  Edited By Comiclove5

Oh, wow! I'm highly upset now.
    CaptHowdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 188

#37  Edited By CaptHowdy

I am choked.  I loved these releases.  And I thought that Wonder Woman one was one of the best of them.

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By Mbecks14

aww man!! :(

i loved GL:FF

E.I.S.A.M.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By E.I.S.A.M.

I liked those films, but I didn't think they were so great to buy. Rent definitely. But I didn't think they were all worth owning. They were too short, and the inconsistency between each film in art style and voice cast bothered me the most. I get what they were going for, I'd seen the behind the scenes features, I knew they couldn't get the same voice cast because of the very people that just shut them down, but it still bothered me. Never the less, this bit of news does come as a surprise, and a bit of a disappointment. I'm wondering if this is the first of many DC Entertainment decisions that disappoints its fan base and inevitably flushes itself down the toilet, or if this is just another separate stupid decision from another stupid idiot suit.

Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Joe Venom

Maybe someone should start a petition because I for one really wanna see Batgirl: year one!

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jordanstine

Not surprised.   

They were all "RENT" at best.   

I can't sell DVD's? What the heck do people wanna watch then?
    I can't sell DVD's? What the heck do people wanna watch then?
    The only one I enjoyed was the Justice League Infinite Earths DVD. 

If they want to bring in the $$$ they should just focus on Superman and Batman for now.
    lb70145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By lb70145

This is a terrible move of Warner Bros. part. They can't just rely on two characters for animated feature films. Pretty soon all the stories will become tiresome and repetitive. I would've liked to have seen what Bruce Timm wanted to do with Aquaman and other lesser known characters. That's why I like what Marvel Animation has been doing. I mean they had a Dr. Strange Movie for crying out loud. They have plans on several other characters too. Not to mention created entirely new characters in the Next Avengers movie. Oh well, hopefully Warner Bros. is just having a fit or something and take back this decision.

robokungfu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By robokungfu

This is actually really sad to me...  I knew they shouldn't have made that Crisis on Two Earths.  Everyone is sick of having evil doppelgangers.  I really wanted some more Batman work and I'll be disappointed that it'll just be the red hood movie to be the DCAU's swan song.  WAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Captain13
    @Lokein.Lyesmith:  I know that there can be a great superheroine movie, but I don't blame the studio for swearing off them. Look how underwhelming other superheroine movies are:
    Elektra, Catwoman, the Batman movie with Batgirl in it.

It's too bad they don't realize heroine movies can be great if the lead is a total bamf like in Doomsday or Underworld.
    Slow Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Slow Burn

So dissapointed

Owenlars2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Owenlars2

i think if they were willing to do a 2 hour animated movie, HUSH would work out just fine.  they keep making these BARELY 90 minute things and it always feels rushed and kinda "meh" to me.

Avatar image for lokein_lyesmith
    Lokein.Lyesmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Lokein.Lyesmith
    @Captain13:   I think WW might be wrong place to start with the animated movies with female leads, at least right now. Batman is HUGE right now, why not go with Batgirl? I think you'd bring in a lot larger set of people. You'd bring in the people who would already be buying the WW movie, plus the kids who are into Batman, and the girls who WANT to be into Batman but want a female to relate to. What's going on right now with WW to make anyone pay attention to her movie? Or hell, a GL female-lead movie, I think, would do better right now than WW. That character is just no where else in the media right now to draw people to the name.
    A-Strondinaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#48  Edited By A-Strondinaire

This really sucks! So DC since one of your women didn't sell well your off making movies for them for good what kind of misogynists sexist BS is that i don't understand are they looking for Batman begins, dark knight numbers? because you will not get that from an animated feature. people see that say that's just kids stuff i tried to get my whole family to watch infinite earths they looked at that like are you crazy that's for kids. That is just ridiculous I was looking forward to the Batgirl movie and the Judas Contract too but that kind of spelled trouble for the kids who are like 12 or 13 who used to what the show when they were 9 or 10 with hoover parents. I also heard Wonder Woman got rave reviews.
    Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Captain13
    @Lokein.Lyesmith: I agree with you. There are a lot of female heroes I LOVE, but Wonder Woman has never been one of them. I've always found her stories and personality to be pretty boring. I didn't really like her movie once she got to man's world. But she's always going to be the super heroine who gets one of the earliest movies because of her name recognition and the fact that she's such a big symbol for girl power. 
    I don't think there will be successful minority/female superheroes on screen until they're treated as heroes, not minority heroes. Wonder Woman may always be seen as a minority hero.

Movies that will probably fail: Wonder Woman, Black Lightning
    Movies that could be great: Black Canary, Zatanna, Static

I'm not sure if a Batgirl or Supergirl movie would do better though. Yeah, they're better characters, but a lot of non-comic readers see them a rip-offs made to appeal to girls.
    I'm not sure which DC super heroine could hit the target demographic for these movies(young boys), but I hope that they find one who can.
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By NightFang3

I just died a little inside!!!!:-(

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.