Follow

Green Lantern

Concept » Green Lantern appears in 2504 issues.

A Green Lantern is an officer of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps, who have the ability to overcome great fear with the might of willpower. They possess power rings capable of creating constructs characterized by their will and strength to use it. Each Green Lantern is given a Sector of the Universe to protect and it is their priority to suppress any threat against their sector.

Creating krpytonite no more.why?

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Just wondering why people think DC ret-conned the Green Lantern's ability to create Kryptonite? I thought it was quite cool that one of the other DC powerhouses had this immediate leg up over the mighty Superman. Can Green Lantern create red son radiation from his ring?

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

@bezza: I think it was a good idea to retcon it...it allows the possibility for some very lazy writing, and would really make any fights between a GL and Superman predictable and therefore not worth the money to spend on the comic.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Bezza

Fair point, but has it turned the balance too far the other way? If they met up, how would GL defeat superman without recourse to creating kryptonite?

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

@bezza: Well, for me, I always hated the kryptonite cop-out in lots of older Superman stories.

And let's not forget the the GL ring is probably the most powerful weapon in the universe, which is limitless in its ability and depends on the individual wielding the green light of hope.

I'm actually pretty confident to say that Hal, right now, could beat Superman, not saying that he would, but that he can.

Just think of all the constructs, and all the foes that the GLs have met that can be considered more dangerous than Superman (e.g. Superboy Prime, the Anti-Monitor, Nekron, Volthoom, Krona, etc.)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.