Follow

Green Lantern: New Guardians

Volume »

Green Lantern: New Guardians is a New 52 comic that focuses on Kyle Rayner, who is leading a team with members from all the Lantern Corps. He too must master the powers of the Emotional Spectrum.

Green Lantern New Guardians #27

undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Justin Jordan brings us the further adventures of the USS Lantern helmed by Carol Ferris and Kyle Rayner. And if my Shatnerian intro wasn’t enough of a hint, this book is still focused squarely on the exploration of the DCU’s furthest and strangest points and inhabitants and I couldn’t be happier about it. We’ve got the Guardians, eager to learn everything about the evolution of the galaxy since their billion year imprisonment, you’ve got a great revolving door of strange, wonderful aliens that can drop in and out as they’re needed, but never feel misused or cheapened and you’ve got tension between Kyle and Carol so thick you could cut it and feed a family of six for DAYS. The concepts introduced are interestingly varied and complex, but never too complicated to merit either unnecessary exposition or confusion and the action is pitched and intense, but never without room for some great banter. Out of all the Lantern books, this one is definitely the underrated standout if for no other reason than its focus on the new and the weird. And it does all of this usually in the space of one or two issues without feeling rushed or scattershot.

We get a new linework artist in Andrei Bressan, and he keeps up the style and tone as well as the creature designs, both hideous and savage. We get a ton of action involving constructs, but everything stays contained and under control from one panel to the next moving with a hard-hitting staging that keeps the eye moving and never strays into needless jumps nor confusion of pacing. Hi-Fi’s on the colors and, as with the other issues of his I’ve reviewed, he has a real knack for color in a book where that is an absolute must-have. Anytime a spectrum’s power is invoked, the explosion of light and color is absolutely glorious and incredibly gratifying.

The Bad

As great as the art generally is, there is some stiffness across a few pages and some unusual, consistent head and face proportions. The resolution of the villain’s plot is a sitcom-level trope that’s been not only well worn out, but parodied almost to death, making its presence here more than a little jarring and eye-roll worthy. It’s not that it’s out of place or even out of character, it’s just a cliche by this point that it’s hard to take seriously, especially in light of what we’ve seen from both the heroes and villains prior.

The Verdict

An overly simple ending doesn’t ruin what is still a stellar character book with some amazing action and alien designs. Justin Jordan, whether under editorial mandate or by his own power, has implemented a great concept that keeps Carol Ferris and Kyle Rayner in their own comfortable, semi-isolated corner of the DCU and allows the two characters to grow, mature and most importantly BANTER without being caught up in every single fight the Green Lanterns find themselves in. Frankly, I hope this idea goes on for a long, long time as I can scarcely get enough.

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This book is great everything I look for in a lantern book. Space cops out in Space doing space things. I find the internal politics of Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps to be rather weary.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@timelord said:

This book is great everything I look for in a lantern book. Space cops out in Space doing space things. I find the internal politics of Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps to be rather weary.

What he said.

mikep12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Does Kyle do crazy stuff in this issue no one should be able to challenge him he is suppose to be uber powerful I mean seriously he goes from waving there first army out or existence to being a chump come on Dc you can do better

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Bring Kyle back to greeeeeenn.

Avatar image for batsymyplaything
    batsymyplaything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you’ve got tension between Kyle and Carol so thick you could cut it and feed a family of six for DAYS.

Hahahaha. That's good cause it's so true.

Was it me or Carol's hair really really bad drawn.

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THis is one of the best books in the shells :)

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I didn't like this issue much. I've been a fan of the series since issue 1 but this wasn't very good imo. The story was alright. The art was pretty good besides Kyle. My eyes inverted when I first saw Kyle in this issue. it was awful. I t was awful for several pages, but it looks like the artist slowly learned how to draw him along the way. I hope we get better than this next issue.

admwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By admwriter

Sadly I found this to be yet another issue full of forgettable aliens doing forgettable things. This book is unnecessary and a snooze fest, IMHO.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.