Green Lantern: New Guardians #19- Wrath of the First Lantern, Part 11: Shadow of Death Review

Posted by Undeadpool (787 posts) - - Show Bio

The Good

I love Kyle Rayner. I really do. Maybe it’s because I more closely identify with an introspective, artistic type than some headstrong authority types, maybe it’s because I think imagination should be just as important to a Lantern as willpower, and maybe it’s because he’s got an awesome name, but there’s something about him I find eminently likable and Tony Bedard has done a great job of steering him in this book. His run has been one of the most emotional of the Lanterns, or at least the Lanterns with their own book, and that continues here.

In the wake of the First Lantern’s assault, Kyle is on his last legs, unable to cope with the new and different realities that were unleashed upon him to drum up feelings to fuel the emotion vampire’s reign of terror across the universe. As the White Lantern, he was an even greater source, and thus was even more crippled by it. Carol Ferris (I’m still loving her new costume) gets him on his feet and they try to contact the other New Guardians to no avail, but Sinestro is still active and it’s when they arrive at his location in deep space (Korugar SHOULD be there, but they come out of hyperspace into some kind of asteroid field! It's not on any of the charts...) that they see the horror that the First Lantern has wreaked on Korugar. Simon Baz also appears on the scene with B’dg in tow to introduce the new Lantern to everyone. After a brief scuffle, Sinestro has the white ring and is determined to bring back his home planet and its people, but the ring rejects him as being unworthy, choosing Baz instead, but even his incredible will can’t bring an entire planet back, so it’s left to the ring’s original host to try. Without giving anything else away, I’ll say that the book definitely ramps up the emotion and ends with a great, and threatening, moment. Also, and this is just a personal preference, but I still hear Sinestro with David Warner’s one-of-a-kind voice and this book does a great job reinforcing that, especially Sinestro refusing to even address Kyle as anything but “alley-rat.”

Andres Guinaldo handles pencils with Raul Fernandez on inks and Wil Quintana on colors, and all of them are absolutely firing on all points, this book is gorgeous. From the vast reaches of space to the characters’ distinct costumes, everything just looks absolutely perfect in both macro and micro (I’m looking at you, space squirrel!) scales. This book, like Green Lantern Corps, is also a fairly good stand-alone, so if you haven’t been following the other First Lantern books, but are a fan of Kyle, feel free to pick this one up.

The Bad

The gatefold covers have begun to be less about “shocking moments” within the book and more about “lying to the reader” and this is one of the more egregious ones. Simon Baz does, indeed, become the White Lantern, but it lasts less than two pages, and while it wrings some very good emotion out of it, it’s hardly a “WTF moment.”

Kyle recovers just a little TOO quickly from the First Lantern’s emotional attack. His compatriots are still completely out of action, but all it takes to get Kyle back in full working order is for Carol to help him to his feet Gears of War-style and have him shake it off. It cheapens what he’s been through, as well as the power of both the First Lantern AND his compatriots, that he’s able to just shrug it off so easily.

The Verdict

Green Lantern: New Guardians feels like it's often relegated to third-tier status within Lantern books. It stars one of the most controversial Green Lanterns, it tends to be very isolated from the rest of the GL universe and stories, and it has a very large supporting cast, but these things are also, to my mind, the book's greatest strengths. Out of all the books to be a part of these last two cross-overs, this one is the easiest to just pick up and read without needing to really get into the previous books. Bedard also does an amazing job of juggling the giant cast, the unlikely team-up of Kyle Rayner and Carol Ferris illustrates this best, but giving each and every character plenty to do and a lot of growth. Cosmic events are the most difficult to have personal, introspective character moments in, but Bedard absolutely accomplishes it while also not skimping on the giant space battles. A great issue that strikes a great balance.

#1 Edited by Raw_Material (3298 posts) - - Show Bio

Are we gonna be seeing a Kyle vs Sinestro fight in this issue?

What happened to Kyle being able to control all emotional entities? The cover depicts him in the Green Lantern suit again. Why is that? (Please, little or no spoilers, lol :P)

Can't wait to go and pick this one up..

Wrath of the First Lantern however, will probably be the last story arc that I'll be buying Green Lantern issues of due to the departure of Geoff Johns and the other crew working for each title of the Green Lantern series.

#2 Posted by Raw_Material (3298 posts) - - Show Bio

BTW, great review Undeadpool. Congrats on your position as staff reviewer for Comic Vine and keep up the good work!

5 star review, uhh? This story arc's gonna be ending more intensely than I've anticipated apparently. So far, all the issues of 'Wrath of the First Lanterns" have been below 3 star reviews. However, New Guardians and the main Green Lantern title are definitely what's keeping this story arc alive, having the last issues being more above 3 star standards.

#3 Edited by Saren (25903 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm really sick and tired of how this story continues to go nowhere. There is no need to keep building up the First Lantern for 2 months in every GL book. When is he going to actually do something beyond his emotional picnic?

#4 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Can someone catch me up? I haven't read New Guardians since issue 7 and I really want to pick this one up.

#5 Posted by Mucklefluga (2590 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems more and more like i need to pick up all the lantern books to read the story instead of just GL which i was reading :(

#6 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5138 posts) - - Show Bio

This story has been terrible.

#7 Posted by Mrgreenlantern (661 posts) - - Show Bio

great interaction between all the lanterns in this issue , you cant help but feel for sinestro here in this issue

all he wants is Korugar back. anyone else feeling like sinestro is going down the path Atrocitus took?

#8 Posted by Juandicimo_Magnifico45 (152 posts) - - Show Bio

First off Corey, I liked reading your review. Glad to see someone out there that love Kyle!

This issue however, had me ragging. I couldn't believe how easily Sinestro was able to rip Kyle's ring off, that was just ridiculous! Not only that, but the ring went to Simon... why? Why wouldn't the ring just go to Kyle? Is it really going to go to the closest person and play leap-frog until it finds a suitor? Though I will admit, my hatred for Simon Baz is making me a little biased, I end up hating any scene with him included, oh well.

I guess I'll just wait until the First Lantern stuff is over with and we get a whole new array of a creative team.

#9 Posted by Lord_Oakenshield (1 posts) - - Show Bio

This book was good, but the arc as a whole really dropped the ball. This could have been so much bigger.

#10 Posted by JakeN7 (12738 posts) - - Show Bio

First off Corey, I liked reading your review. Glad to see someone out there that love Kyle!

This issue however, had me ragging. I couldn't believe how easily Sinestro was able to rip Kyle's ring off, that was just ridiculous! Not only that, but the ring went to Simon... why? Why wouldn't the ring just go to Kyle? Is it really going to go to the closest person and play leap-frog until it finds a suitor? Though I will admit, my hatred for Simon Baz is making me a little biased, I end up hating any scene with him included, oh well.

I guess I'll just wait until the First Lantern stuff is over with and we get a whole new array of a creative team.

What possible reason could you have to hate Simon Baz? He's been nothing but an interesting character, and is frankly my favorite new character of the New 52 (and fast becoming one of my overall favorites.) His character is flawed and therefore relatable, adds fresh perspective to the Green Lantern mythos due to his status as an inexperienced rookie, he's a fast learner, he represents a demographic that is rarely represented in comic books (and has a backstory that relates to a real-world event and the subsequent societal fear of said demographic that it caused), he has variables that other Earth Lanterns don't (such as a unique ability to heal people), and he makes use out of a seemingly useless accessory (his gun, which he creatively relies on due to the unpredictable nature of his ring.) He also has an enjoyable personality that is neither too upbeat, nor too broody. He's also only been around since October of last year.

So...I say again, what possible reason could you have to hate Simon Baz!??

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.