Follow

Green Lantern Corps

Team » Green Lantern Corps appears in 1590 issues.

The Green Lantern Corps is an intergalactic police force dedicated to the promotion of order and democracy throughout the universe. Each Green Lantern member protects a sector and it is their duty to defend it from any possible threat.

The 9 Stupidest Lanterns

umbrafeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 20

Edited By umbrafeline

For the longest time, there was only one kind of Lantern in the DC Universe, green. Then, they added an evil one, the Sinestro Corps. Then they added a Blue one. Then a Red one. Then basically they decided to just go nuts with the colors. But when you’re recruiting police from across the universe for ONE huge organization, forget seven of them, you’re going to have a few losers in the bunch. Here are our favorites, and notice we didn’t even get into the other colors; all of these are the HEROES

1. Mogo

Mogo started off as a joke written by Alan Moore, who had a heck of a lot of fun at the Green Lantern Corps’ expense (half this list is by said crazy Englishman), introduced in a story called “Mogo Doesn’t Socialize.” You see, Mogo’s a planet. 

Yes, a planet. Mogo’s sentient, and has a power ring.

Forget the power ring, though. Think about physics here. If Mogo shows up anywhere, he’s going to throw the entire solar system out of whack. He’d send planets tumbling into the sun, steal moons, ruin orbits…this guy can’t go anywhere. That’s probably why the Guardians, who apparently really don’t like to take back rings once they hand them out, no matter how stupid the recipient is, just have him sending Rings to new Lanterns. He’s basically a cosmic switchboard. 

2. Rot Lop Fan

You might be wondering what this guy’s deal is, seeing that he doesn’t seem to have any eyes or ability to see. Well, that’s because he’s from the Obsidian Deeps, a region of space where there’s no light whatsoever and thus no perception of sight. Or color. The problem becomes immediately obvious, as does the hand of cackling madman Alan Moore. 

It turns out they solved it by turning the ring into a bell and making it something that works with sound instead of light. This seems like an awesome idea because it immediately gives the Green Lantern Corps a huge advantage in their fights, creating constructs out of sound instead of light. So, smart guys that they are, they leave Captain All Ears to it and we never see the guy, or hear about turning rings into bells, again. 

3. Ch’p     

That’s Ch’p. No, he isn’t from a Disney cross over, or an Elseworlds, or some other really obvious excuse for a bad idea aimed squarely at small children. He’s a giant talking chipmunk with one of the most powerful weapons in the universe. No, we have no idea why DC didn’t realize this was not, in fact, cute but instead pure nightmare fuel. Rats with power rings is just not something we want to think about without a large bottle of vodka handy. 

And in case the idea of a sentient squirrel who could run you over isn’t bad enough, he was brought back as a zombie. You know, because cute talking animals portrayed as zombies will totally make us take this crossover seriously, instead of being the dumbest idea this side of zombified Power Pack.     

4. Chaselon

There are a lot of things that can make a superhero intimidating. Huge muscles. Energy powers. Having a Green Lantern ring. Tentacles. Chaselon has two of those going for him, namely the last two. And then there are things that make him less intimidating, like being a gigantic hunk of glass. 

Chaselon is a crystal being, which, yeah, could theoretically exist, but come on. He’s a big hunk of glass. Fighting this guy is like being attacked by a bedazzler bead. He probably only wins because his opponents are too busy laughing to take him seriously.     

5. Bzzd

Hey, speaking of “less than intimidating”, how about a creature that only has the Green Lantern ring going for him, and without it, you could kill him with a piece of plastic costing a buck ninety-five? Say hi to Bzzd, everybody, the only Green Lantern you can squish. 

Bzzd is apparently a pretty seriously tough guy, having taken out space pirates and captured DC’s premiere annoying jerk, Guy Gardner. None of which makes up for the fact that he’s an insect that can be defeated by Raid.     

6. G’Nort

There’s a dog everybody knows. He’s dumb. He’s clumsy. He’s irritating. He follows you around everywhere. And yet, you never yell at him or anything because you just feel bad about it? That’s G’Nort. 

DC heroes pretty much hate G’Nort because, well, he’s a big dumb dog who could accidentally destroy the planet. G’Nort got his job because of a relative who was a popular Green Lantern, proving that defending the universe can easily be done by just hiring everybody’s brother. Nice to know nepotism gets you a nuke on your finger. 

On the other hand, G’Nort has all the traits one likes in a dog: he’s loyal, honest, and forthright. He’s also a huge idiot who’s biggest success was defeating a gang of bank-robbing cats. No, seriously.

7. Dkrtsy RRR

We don’t have a picture of Dkrtsy on here, because he’s never had an adventure that we know about. Why? Because he’s math.

Yes, they hand those rings out to anything that has so much as a semi-sentient pulse, and Dkrtsy is no exception: he’s a “bio-sentient mathematical equation” that gets into your head and erases your brain.

We find ourselves asking a lot of questions, like, how does he wear the ring, isn’t brain erasing kind of unethical, and how can comic books make us hate math?

8. Flodo Span

So far we’ve had a bug, a piece of glass, a squirrel, and an abstraction on here, and you might be wondering how it could get less threatening than that.

Well, meet Flodo Span. He’s gas. 

Yes, this is a gaseous lifeform. You take away his ring, and he disperses, unable to collect himself until he gets his ring back. In the meantime, he has to avoid being…well…inhaled, we guess. What happens when you huff this guy? 

It gets better, though: he’s one of several gaseous Green Lanterns. What is it with the Guardians?! 

9. Leezle Pon

No, pictured above is not, in fact, one of Hal Jordan’s boogers. That’s Leezle Pon, the sentient smallpox virus. 

You might be saying “Wait, the what that’s the what now?” Yes, apparently, in the DCU, not only can smallpox, one of the deadliest diseases known to man, because senitent, it can even be noble enough to merit getting a Green Lantern ring. But it can’t attend any meetings, because it might infect the Lanterns. 

So, just to recap, the Guardians of the Universe (yes, that’s their actual job title) gave one of the most dangerous and powerful weapons in existence to one of the most fatal diseases known to human history. 

Somehow, we think they’re not quite doing their jobs.

Written by Dan Seitz – Copyrighted © www.weirdworm.com    

umbrafeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By umbrafeline

please move this to the green lantern forums. i couldnt figure out how do to it myself. thank you
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By joshmightbe

how dare you disparage the good name of G'nort..............just kidding I just like saying G'nort

velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By velle37
    @umbrafeline said:
    "please move this to the green lantern forums. i couldnt figure out how do to it myself. thank you "

I think a mod has to do that.
    Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4  Edited By Zoom

You lose all credibility for including Mogo and Rot Lop Fan on this list.
    Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
    Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Hey, I like the chipmunk and talking dog lanterns ;p 
    Soft and cuddly is in. 
    Nice list btw, I'm glad to say I've never heard of a couple of these guys(?).

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DEGRAAF

Except for Mogo i would agree. Mogo has been shown able to change it's gravity so if it doesnt want to disrupt a solar system it is flying thru then it can change its gravitational pull and not have a problem
    Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

I DISAGREE WITH EVERY SINGLE ITEM ON THIS LIST.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Darkchild
    @Icarusflies said:
    " I DISAGREE WITH EVERY SINGLE ITEM ON THIS LIST. "
    Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Video_Martian
    @Icarusflies said:
    lol
    Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10  Edited By Zoom

He's got a point, though. 

This is pretty much a list of awesome Green Lanterns who are in good stories.
    Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By Silkcuts
    @Zoom said:
    " You lose all credibility for including Mogo and Rot Lop Fan on this list. "
    Moore hate, right?  And on top of that Mogo #1?  Rot Lop Fan is really not a "green lantern" I believe he is the only "green bell", so this list is voided with that entry.

@joshmightbe said:
    " how dare you disparage the good name of G'nort..............just kidding I just like saying G'nort "

Whoever wrote this list likely hasn't read anything GL before Johns took over.

@Icarusflies said:

^_^ agreed!
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@Icarusflies said:
    Yeah, what she said!
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Why are people copying and pasting whole article from other sites?

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@inferiorego said:
    " Why are people copying and pasting whole article from other sites? "
    Another very good question
    umbrafeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By umbrafeline

i didnt create the list. i just merely copied it for everyones enjoyment and bikering ^_^ so if you disagree with any of these characters contact dan seitz at weirdworm.com
    umbrafeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By umbrafeline
    @inferiorego said:
    "Why are people copying and pasting whole article from other sites? "

because the comicvine community needs to know. and its not plagarism if i am giving the article writer credit by having their name and etc in the blog
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By entropy_aegis

And this is why i much prefer the sinestro corps,they dont have flies or germs.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Zoom said:
    " You lose all credibility for including Mogo and Rot Lop Fan on this list. "
    Both of those characters are horrible and you know it. 
    Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By Supreme Marvel

Stupid Green Lanterns...Hal Jordan and...I can't think of no more.

JesterKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JesterKing
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @JesterKing said:
    " @entropy_aegis said:

" And this is why i much prefer the sinestro corps,they dont have flies or germs. "

http://www.comicvine.com/despotellis/29-45573/   
      http://www.comicvine.com/parallax/29-41293/ Thats a germ and a bug from sinestro corp. Technically Parallax is different, but I included him anyways because he was at on point. "

SMACKS myself,how could i forget that annoying parallax or the disease which almost killed gardener ,but still they're cooler.
    Avatar image for thedarkknight0224
    thedarkknight0224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who ever wrote this article is clearly a hater, or has no imagination. Christ, who are we to say what type of creature has the most willpower. Especially since we are an arrogant race who kill each other cause we think one race is superior to the other.  
    Not hating on you umbrafeline.

On Earth we would be lucky if a human got a ring and not a cockroach, those little buggers can take a lot..

Avatar image for thedarkknight0224
    thedarkknight0224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Supreme Marvel:
    Wow and look another stunning intelligent comment from a Marvel hater..
    TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheThe

Dont forget  Hal Jordan in your list.

TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheThe
    @thedarkknight0224 said:
    "

Who ever wrote this article is clearly a hater, or has no imagination. Christ, who are we to say what type of creature has the most willpower. Especially since we are an arrogant race who kill each other cause we think one race is superior to the other.  
    Not hating on you umbrafeline.

On Earth we would be lucky if a human got a ring and not a cockroach, those little buggers can take a lot..

"
    Agree.
    Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By Kairan1979

You forgot Duck Dodgers.

Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Sydpart2
    @Icarusflies said:
    I DISAGREE WITH EVERY SINGLE ITEM ON THIS LIST.
    yep, this is why I enjoy the GL books, the writers can have fun with some of the weirder stuff that biology says is feasible. 
    @entropy_aegis said:
    And this is why i much prefer the sinestro corps,they dont have flies or germs.

pretty sure the GL virus took out the Sinestro Corps virus...just sayin...
    velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By velle37
    @Zoom said:
    You lose all credibility for including Mogo and Rot Lop Fan on this list.

Those are two of the most epic GLs of all time.......
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By fodigg

These were the characters that made the GL books actual "science fiction" instead of just usual superhero books. They were the most interesting.

umbrafeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By umbrafeline

you know people, there are other blogs on my account to comment on than just the 9 lanterns
    Avatar image for greenlantern555
    GreenLantern555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GreenLantern555

There are so many things wrong with this...

umbrafeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By umbrafeline

theres no pleasing yinz on this blog is there?
    Avatar image for greenlantern555
    GreenLantern555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GreenLantern555
    @umbrafeline said:
    theres no pleasing yinz on this blog is there?
    Well, when you make blogs like this, basically showing you aren't a reader of the Green Lantern Universe, yes there is no pleasing us. It's like me making a blog on the worst X-Men. I would have no idea what I'd be talking about. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.