Follow

Green Lantern Corps

Team » Green Lantern Corps appears in 1588 issues.

The Green Lantern Corps is an intergalactic police force dedicated to the promotion of order and democracy throughout the universe. Each Green Lantern member protects a sector and it is their duty to defend it from any possible threat.

Off My Mind: One Green Lantern Per Space Sector Isn't Enough

• 70 results
    Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Kal'smahboi

Green Lanterns aren't supposed to totally protect their sectors like Superman does in Metropolis. I feel like they're the FBI of the Universe: they get called in when they're needed and aren't needed for every little bar fight.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

#52  Edited By Durakken

*sigh* again? This is a comic website... why is it that these article writers don't seem to have a clue about comic canon? 

There are 3601 sectors, 0-3600... 
    These sectors get bigger as you move away from Oa because they are laid out in a circular grid with Oa in the center. 
    Each Sector used to have 1 GL or less... and each GL also had a "replacement" GL so there are roughly 6402 GLs when Hal and Guy get their rings. Several GLs that are assigned specifically to Oa, not Sector 0. When Hal went evil there was only 1...then they re-recruited and made active 2 GLs per sector...with the sector around Earth having 4. There are also Alpha Lanterns and whatever Guy's position is called. 

The GL's duty is to police space and interactions between civilizations. They are not concerned with internal affairs of planets.  

Now is there enough to do this? Depends on the power of the rings and the will of the user of the rings which has been shown to vary greatly... so in some cases they're over powered, in other cases they're outgunned... That being the case... yes it generally is enough because it averages out... 

Also... there seems to be a number of GL power rings out there that are not part of the GLC, but seem to hold to the GLC code or pretend to so sure... there are enough GLs.

Maki_P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Maki_P

I think the Universe is well protected and safe, but realistically it shouldn't be. The Universe is a very big place and 2 people per sector can't be enough; but it seems to work for them, so I'm calling MST3K Mantra: Relax it's just a comic book.

Psychotime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

User Lists: 11

#54  Edited By Psychotime

I don't read Green Lantern, but I've always seen it as a comic about intergalactic cops. Why SHOULDN'T they have constant teammates? It's always good to see different personalities bounce off each other.

I remember an article about the direct to video animated film from a few years back making a reference to Training Day. That's just an awesome concept.

If they don't already, I think the series could give itself the feel of cop shows or movies, like Lethal Weapon or the cop segments of Law and Order.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By Eyz
    @fitchy101 said:
    @Eyz: That would be so awesome! Especially if they weren't human. Sweet Idea.
    You'd think with Space Sectors covering various systems that at least one from "2814" would come from another planet...
    (and DC showed various other planets filled with life in "our system", just take Mars for example!)
    Radread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#56  Edited By Radread

I like the idea of 2 Green Lanterns per sector but they also needs 2 Blue Lanterns per sector for back up.
    ld12278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By ld12278

More Blue Lanterns! Gotta spread hope

nick7913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58  Edited By nick7913

I would love to see all of the light spectrum organized under a single management as others have suggested. Then you could have interdepartmental feuding and power struggles. Also, I don't see why every lantern who uses a yellow ring should be an automatic villain. Batman is certainly cut out to be a Yellow Lantern but he also has other characteristics. It all feels very... segregated. Every side very one note. A mix up is required.

Kaden_Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Kaden_Dragon

In my thoughts it comes down to the guardians not wanting to show fear.  If you had more then one or two Green Lanterns in a sector it would be like admitting they were afraid that the person they had chosen was not enough to protect the sector.

Migz13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Migz13

Have you heard of the term: 'The BEST of the Best"? 
    That's why the guardians at OA don't go around recruiting beings all over the place. 
    This is THE Green Latern Corps... not the Girl Scouts club.

talkrongaltos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By talkrongaltos

The Universe. 40 o 50 years ago the kids didn't have a clear idea of how big the universe really is. Miss Universe only represent a few dozen countries of a single planet, you see what I mean? 
    But twenty first century readers knows that the Universe means billions of galaxies, with billions of stars.  
    I never really understand how the universe was partioned in 3600 sectors. I thought it was like a pie chart, all sector emerging from central OA and expanding to the farthest reaches of the know space. 
    One wandering ranger that summons the entire corps if needed, to deal with any problems they cannot resolve alone. 

Warlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62  Edited By Warlord

i agree. if the guardians really did care about the safety of the universe then they should take all the necessary precautions to protect it.  if that means recruiting new lanterns so be it.

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Paracelsus

I think this misses the point- do you want to sacrifice quality for quantity-compare the Green Lantern Corps with elite formations such as the Delta Force, British SAS/Paras or US Navy SEALs-each ember of said formation is worth his weight in gold  and has been through a rigorous training programme to make them what they are?(80% of prospective SEALs drop out in training)?

Terry

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#64  Edited By Kallarkz
    @Paracelsus said:
     I think this misses the point- do you want to sacrifice quality for quantity-compare the Green Lantern Corps with elite formations such as the Delta Force, British SAS/Paras or US Navy SEALs-each ember of said formation is worth his weight in gold  and has been through a rigorous training programme to make them what they are?(80% of prospective SEALs drop out in training)?  Terry
    Though no exact numbers have been posted. Not all who are offered a ring are just made a Lantern. 
    They undergo a rigorous boot camp in which they will either become a Green Lantern or have to give up the ring and return to their home planet. 
    Haven't seen any training in more recent issues (the corps has been pretty busy) but in the past some of the training they went through was pretty intense. 

Not comparing what the men who assist in defending our country have to endure to comic book characters, but I don't think becoming a Lantern is as easy and simple as some may think.
    Avatar image for grandmaster_fro
    Grandmaster_Fro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Grandmaster_Fro

No offense to fans of the Green Lantern, but there's already to much to keep track of. In theory, this is a good idea, but if you start following too many Green Lanterns, then there's a problem

allison_scag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By allison_scag

What thing I've always wondered. Does the guardians produce new rings or are their a fixed number of rings, and they just go off to a new person when the old lantern dies. If its the latter then I think that's the problem.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#67  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I'm a relatively new GL reader, so correct me if I'm wrong but

There are 3,600 space sectors, each of which have two Green Lanterns - making that a total of 7,200.

Oa is the center of the universe (I'm pretty sure they protect the universe, not the galaxy, thus the name Guardians of the Universe). Any way, with Oa at the center, the sectors originate from Oa, growing larger as they get further from Oa, forming a cone shape. Since all sectors begin at Oa, every GL is the protector of Oa and if they are there, they are still considered to be within their sector.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#68  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Also, while I am thinking about it, I thought there was four GLs for Earths sector because there was a sector that the GLs don't police? Vega?

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#69  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @jloneblackheart said:
    Also, while I am thinking about it, I thought there was four GLs for Earths sector because there was a sector that the GLs don't police? Vega?
    There's an uncharted portion of the Universe Lanterns aren't supposed to go to.
    Dino_Diablo93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Dino_Diablo93

I agree, there need to be more Green Lanterns per sector. Maybe five: one senior GLantern and two two-GLantern teams. That might be overkill for most minor conflicts, but it would definitely give villains pause. After all, if one GLantern is dangerous, five would be devastating. Plus, with so many GLanterns per sector, they could keep an eye on each other, keeping down the numbers of Lanterns going rogue, crazy, etc. 

I also think it would be nice if the Green Lanterns took a step back and left the crises of individual planets to that planet's native defenders. Then the GLanterns could focus more on interplanetary threats. 

7DEADPOOL7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#71  Edited By 7DEADPOOL7

More lanterns is always a good idea

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.