Follow

Green Lantern Corps

Team » Green Lantern Corps appears in 1590 issues.

The Green Lantern Corps is an intergalactic police force dedicated to the promotion of order and democracy throughout the universe. Each Green Lantern member protects a sector and it is their duty to defend it from any possible threat.

Gibbons and Tomasi's Green Lantern Corps Worth Reading?

d_bones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Hey dudes so right now i'm making my way through Geoff Johns' Green Lantern run and have read up to secret origin. Next up are rage of the red lanterns and agent orange and then on to Blackest Night but I was wondering about the parallel series about the Corps itself. Obviously I got a slight taste of it in the Sinestro Corps War (since it was a mixture of GL and GL corps all bundled together) but wanted to know if reading the entire Corps series up to Blackest Night was worth it.

Since I am probably going to get Blackest Night and Blackest Night: Green Lantern I wanna know if GL corps should be included and all of their prelude stuff like To Be a Lantern, Dark Side of Green, Ring Quest, Sins of the Star Sapphire and Emerald Eclipse. Thoughts would be appreciated! Just wanted to know if I can skip it and continue my Johns journey or should split my attention up to Blackest Night.

Thanks!

d_bones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

anyone?

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@d_bones: Not really to be honest, but if you're interested into reading GLC issues just for the sake of it, you should begin reading Green Lantern Corps: Recharge before diving into other corps stories. It gives you good essential knowledge into new ring bearers on how they've been chosen into the corps, experimenting with their rings, and learning about the rules of the corps that still exists today in the Green Lantern mythos, which consists of new corps members at the time, such as Natu, Vath Sarn, Isamot Kol, etc. The book itself is similar to the recent Green Lantern Corps issue 21, which users gave in good feedback. The book itself should provide you better familiarity with those characters.

Issues like To Be a Lantern focuses more on Natu's character as a lantern, investigating her sector's partner's death. It includes princess lolande's first appearance, and presents her background story, which is an important part of this arc.

Hope this helps

d_bones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mysoulz: thanks for the reply. I was only starting with To Be a Lantern instead of Recharge because Recharge wasn't available to purchase but the others were. Mostly I just wanted to know if i'm going to be missing a lot jumping into Blackest Night without having read any of the Corps stories. And of course if the Corps stories are quality on their own rather than just a supplemental for the main GL story. If not i'm probably just going to jump into Blackest Night and also get Blackest Night: Green Lantern and leave Blackest Night: GLC on the shelf. That was pretty much what it came to. Just whether or not those stories were good enough to be read or important enough to the story. If not however I'll just read the adventures of Hal and move on.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By mysoulz

It's been years since I've read that event. Without reading Corps issues iirc, you shouldn't really miss anything in that event. Stick to Blackest Night and Blackest Night: Green Lantern, which focuses more on the big picture such as Sinestro, Atrocitus, Hal, Carol, Ganthet and Larfleeze. You should be fine and comfortable without reading corps issues.

d_bones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thanks I will do that

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.