DC Announces New Green Lantern Revamp Titles & Creative Teams

• 90 results
Posted by G-Man (18890 posts) - - Show Bio

With all the recent announcements in DC Comics new #1 titles, the Green Lanterns have been absent. Granted, we haven't heard details on all 52 titles but with a major motion picture on the way, we expect something involving the Lanterns.

No need to fear (especially since that's a sign of weakness for the Green Lanterns), today, DC has confirmed details on the upcoming Green (and RED) Lantern titles.

Green Lantern #1 will continue with Geoff Johns. He will be reunited by artists Doug Mahnke and Christian Alamy. This will be Hal Jordan's book still. DC is saying that change is coming...

Green Lantern Corps #1 will be written by Peter Tomasi with art by Fernando Pasarin and Scott Hanna. Guy Gardner, John Stewart and an elite Green Lantern strike force will keep the peace when deadly conflict emerges across the universe.

What about Kyle Rayner?

Green Lantern: The New Guardians #1 will be written by Tony Bedard with art by Tyler Kirkham and Batt. The power of Rage, Avarice, Fear, Will, Hope, Compassion and Love combine to become the most powerful and colorful team in the corps. Whoa! Who will be leading this crazy-sounding team? Mr. Kyle Rayner.

But that's not all. Red Lanterns #1 will be written by Peter Milligan with art by Ed Benes and Rob Hunter. Atrocitus and the Red Lanterns are finally getting their own book (remember this was announced earlier?). This Lantern takes no prisoners.

And there you have the upcoming Lantern books. Which are you most looking forward to? I'm not sure which will be more crazy, Red Lanterns or The New Guardians.

Thanks to sEsposito7 for making sure we were on top of this.

#1 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6836 posts) - - Show Bio

I was wondering if the Red Lantern book was gonna fit in with all this. Well that answers my question!

#2 Posted by johnny_spam (2020 posts) - - Show Bio

I knew some continuity would remain since the Green Lantern movie, animated series and Emerald Knights video would all use material from the current comics it would have been bad marketing to remove them.

#3 Posted by foldingstar (80 posts) - - Show Bio

Im liking the sound of the New Guardians!
#4 Posted by djotaku (415 posts) - - Show Bio

With the movie and everything, perhaps I'll finally check out this hero

#5 Posted by spaceboy (200 posts) - - Show Bio

Not much change apparently...

#6 Posted by fodigg (6136 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, Guy will be in the new JLI. Or at least, he's on the cover.

#7 Edited by TheThe (1759 posts) - - Show Bio

I will purchase The New guardians with Kyle 's leading, and the  GLC with John Stewart and Guy Gardner. 
But i'm desappointed  with DC plans for John Stewart. Unlike the others 3, John has always been a 2nd class and sidekick lantern.I'm wondering when will DC understand that John has many fans who want to see him shine like the others ? 
i'm sorry,but this is  bad. 

1)Geoff writes like everything is about Hal. 
2)We already know Kyle is the greatest lantern of all time.  
3)Guy has a great costume,and a "special"  behavior,and a quite good story because we dont know if he belongs to Green or Red lanterns actually. 

? ) What's exactly left for John,except being the so-called "black lantern" ?  
If you dont know what to do with him,just kill him already.Because everything that i see is an eternal backup hero.
Anyway, it's not my comic book.Do what you want to do.

#8 Posted by Chane (538 posts) - - Show Bio

Two books with Guy in them. DCNu is actually looking pretty good atm.

#9 Posted by longbowhunter (7717 posts) - - Show Bio

GL and GLC are two of the only DC books I plan to continue buying come September.
#10 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll read GL, GLC and that fancy new color team
#11 Posted by afrokola (32 posts) - - Show Bio

This all sounds great! Cannot wait to see John Stewart and Guy Gardner working together.

#12 Posted by Chane (538 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheThe said: 
3)Guy has a great costume,and a "special"  behavior,and a quite good story because we dont know if he belongs to Green or Red lanterns actually.   
 Pretty sure Guy is going to stay as a GL as he's on the cover of the new JLI as a GL.
#13 Posted by mohawkmoose12 (58 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow this actually sounds really cool as long as they don't undo a bunch of stuff with these so called "reboots". I really despise the person who first said this is what we should call these revamps since it is freaking people out.

#14 Posted by Sekele (280 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad to see they are keeping these boys around 

#15 Posted by Nocall (32 posts) - - Show Bio

So, for the new guardians, who is representing the "other" lanterns? I guess avarice has to be larfleeze, but what about the rest? I'm hoping to see Saint Walker and Dex'Starr, personally.

#16 Posted by crimsonhawk (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anyone else care about matian manhunter?
#17 Posted by Jake Fury (19208 posts) - - Show Bio

Kyle leading his own team should make fans happy.
#18 Posted by buttersdaman000 (10544 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like John Stewart is still taking the back seat, even with the revamp smh........

#19 Posted by CrimsonTempest (305 posts) - - Show Bio

I approve of Red Lanterns #1. Now if Milligan can stop making stinkers like he did in 5 Ronin and in Secret Seven with this book, then Red Lanterns will survive its first year. I know he's capable of good stories, like in Hellblazer, but recently, he's been slumping. :/

#20 Posted by TDK_1997 (15075 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not a fan of the whole rbooting of the DC Universe but I will see GL books
#21 Edited by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

YES!!! Guy's getting more attention!!!!  

#22 Posted by StarKiller809 (1213 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not enjoying this. We have 4 green lantern series. We are also going to have a lot of Batman series I think too. This was the perfect time for DC to give characters that have not been in the spotlight in a long time their chance.
#23 Posted by Sammo21 (700 posts) - - Show Bio

So....I don't get it.  Where does the reboot come into this?  I hope we get a history lesson on what is different exactly.   

I wonder if Krona will eventually have something to do with this reality bending?

#24 Posted by Midnight Monk (225 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope GL Corps focuses more on John, the guy is insanely popular but hes another minority character DC just doesn't know what to do with. I'm sorry if I'm sounding repetitive(if you read any of my comment concerning the DC Reboot) but DC needs to show more love for their miniority characters instead of just making them silent background characters
#25 Posted by Moonleming (39 posts) - - Show Bio

You know in Kyle's case nobody is saying he's a Green Lantern - he could be one of the other colors. Maybe he sticks with Blue?  Either way I'm pleased with this line-up.  I just hope they don't fully BND Lois and Clark.

#26 Posted by Herx (372 posts) - - Show Bio

Well with 4 lantern books and 11 other titles already announced we have 37 more titles to go. 

At the moment i'm pretty interested in this new Red Lantern series. If done well it could be a hit, and new guardians only means more of our favoret orange lantern and his funny dialogue. I agree with some of the other comments about John though, i mean I'm not exatly a reader of the green lantern series (because like the rest of us here know this hobby is an expecive one ) but from what I've been able to see he's always been put down a step to let the other 3 rise. But maby with the new readers that are going to be coming in and all that he'll gain more of a fanbase and will finally get pushed up from 2nd place to first . (plus 2 series with gy might make people a tinsy wincy bit agrivated :P )

But eith 37 more titles left to be reviled i'm still aprehensive about the revamp, and still hoping that some of my current series will get the same fortune as these. But so far DC your Revamp has given me 5 titles that i'll pick up.

#27 Posted by zzax (50 posts) - - Show Bio

I am on board for all of these. The New Guardians sounds especially exciting!

#28 Posted by Adnan (1021 posts) - - Show Bio
@Chane: A couple of DC's covers have been pretty misleading as of late though. Heck, Flashpoint #2's alternate cover is pretty misleading, imo.
#29 Posted by SC (13365 posts) - - Show Bio

Benes on Red Lantern book? I predict and anticipate much Strawberry Cheesecake... 

#30 Posted by AirDave817 (840 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as i want to wait and see how this all shakes out, I'm not likely to go out and get an e-reader or iPad and then spend full cover price for digital delivery. So, it seems more and more likely that I will look for trade paperback collections. 

I guess we will see how long the monthly will still be available in print...

#31 Edited by Sekele (280 posts) - - Show Bio
@Moonleming said:

I just hope they don't fully BND Lois and Clark.

This!  

I won't mind if they separate Lois and Clark, but it should be a mature, dignified divorce, instead a simple retcon
#32 Posted by ImperiousRix (1050 posts) - - Show Bio
@Midnight Monk:  
Ya know, Gail Simone was JUST talking about that very thing on Twitter the other day, and she's right. 

I definitely am most intrigued by the new GL Corps book simply because it has John Stewart in it.  Not to mention Peter Tomasi is no slouch, anyway.
#33 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2137 posts) - - Show Bio
@Herx said:
Well with 4 lantern books and 11 other titles already announced we have 37 more titles to go.   At the moment i'm pretty interested in this new Red Lantern series. If done well it could be a hit, and new guardians only means more of our favoret orange lantern and his funny dialogue. I agree with some of the other comments about John though, i mean I'm not exatly a reader of the green lantern series (because like the rest of us here know this hobby is an expecive one ) but from what I've been able to see he's always been put down a step to let the other 3 rise. But maby with the new readers that are going to be coming in and all that he'll gain more of a fanbase and will finally get pushed up from 2nd place to first . (plus 2 series with gy might make people a tinsy wincy bit agrivated :P )  But eith 37 more titles left to be reviled i'm still aprehensive about the revamp, and still hoping that some of my current series will get the same fortune as these. But so far DC your Revamp has given me 5 titles that i'll pick up.
Anybody who read last week's Weird Worlds has seen that My Greatest Adventure is another confirmed title. Apparently not many people here have read it though XP
#34 Edited by The_Tree (7952 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds good, but I still won't be sold on this revamp until I hear official info on the Batfamily and Jaime Reyes. And I want Keith Giffen on Doom Patrol again!

#35 Posted by Chane (538 posts) - - Show Bio
@Herx: Some of the 37 are pretty easy to guess, i.e.  
  1. Action Comics
  2. Superman  
  3. Batman
  4. Detective Comics 
  5. A Legion title
  6. Batwoman
I would guess that Bat-family and Super books to have a similar exposure in the 52 as to what they have now. 

Seeing as he was pretty prominent on that JLI book, I wonder if Booster will still be in an ongoing.
#36 Posted by Chane (538 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder why blood is dripping down (presumably Hal's) hand in the GL cover?

#37 Posted by Eyz (3042 posts) - - Show Bio

4 books nonetheless! That's a lot of GL related on-goings!
I guess we shouldn't be surprise  what with the movie and the fact it has been leading comic book sales for quite some time now..

#38 Posted by The Devil Tiger (1263 posts) - - Show Bio

<Sarcasme mode on, full power> 

Well, new Green Lantern book just at the same time of the movie...what a surprise !  

#39 Posted by ninjadude853 (256 posts) - - Show Bio

I'M IN!!!!

#40 Posted by spidermonkey2099 (615 posts) - - Show Bio

Yay! Kyle Rayner was not wiped from existence in the reboots! I'm happy.
#41 Posted by spaceboy (200 posts) - - Show Bio
@crimsonhawk said:
Does anyone else care about matian manhunter?
Sure. I expect him to pop up in the JLI title somewhere down the road.
#42 Edited by mark5 (1207 posts) - - Show Bio
@spidermonkey2099 said:

Yay! Kyle Rayner was not wiped from existence in the reboots! I'm happy.

Second that mate. 

@Mr. Dead Pool said:
YES!!! Guy's getting more attention!!!!  
sick!!
#43 Posted by shadow303030 (20 posts) - - Show Bio

"New Guardians".....didn't they fail....er, try this in Millenium a couple decades ago?

#44 Posted by GraveSp (314 posts) - - Show Bio

I may ignore GL and Corp and go with New Guardians and Red Lanterns.  To be honest I'm getting kinda tired of Green Lantern.  

#45 Posted by Planewalker (329 posts) - - Show Bio

Giving a leading role to Kyle sounds good will check it out 

#46 Edited by DEGRAAF (7912 posts) - - Show Bio
#47 Posted by goldenkey (2920 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds interesting.  Making each Gaurdian an emotion.  coming soon, war of the gaurdians

#48 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish there was a Blue Lantern book. lol

#49 Posted by iLLituracy (13494 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, does that mean Kyle is the one that dies?

#50 Edited by Kallarkz (3295 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy said:

Wait, does that mean Kyle is the one that dies?

No sir Kyle will be the star of a book leading a team. 
Green Lantern: The New Guardians #1 will be written by Tony Bedard with art by Tyler Kirkham and Batt. The power of Rage, Avarice, Fear, Will, Hope, Compassion and Love combine to become the most powerful and colorful team in the corps. Whoa! Who will be leading this crazy-sounding team? Mr. Kyle Rayner. 

It was never stated that one of the GL's would die rather that 1 from Earth would no longer wield the Green Lantern Ring. If Kyle does become a Blue Lantern that would be cool 2. Their Corps is just as interesting as the GL's too me. 
All these titles look very interesting. I'm glad to see we will be continuing to see all the Earth Green Lanterns shine. 
It is true however though that DC has decided not to give the spotlight to John but at the very LEAST he is mentioned. I think over time DC will give John his own story they just want to be sure his fan base is strong enough to hold it up. On a lot of the Green Lantern sites where I am a user of John was getting the top votes for the Lantern to be killed off. This does not mean that that is any official data as to whether or not John has become appreciated over the years rather that they are taking their time with him. After the events of WOTGL John will be having to face some hard times after having killed Mogo. (He had to though!) 

The New Guardians Books looks very interesting. I was getting extremely bored with how the Guardians have remained unchanged throughout all these years and it was time that they got brushed aside a a new type of order instilled in their place. It will be very interesting to see how the "New Guardians" are. 

Red Lanterns getting their own book. I will be picking this up to see how it is but I would have liked to see a Blue Lantern book rather than a Red One. Atrocitus does have a very interesting past and origin story with his sector been completely destroyed by the Manhunters. The only purpose that I have seen the Red Lanterns interested in though is the destruction of the Guardians because of what they allowed to happen to his sector (although his harbors the same level of hate for the GL Corps entirely). I just hope this book does not become similar to the Coyote and the Road Runner cartoon in which he is just fixated on killing them and has no other objective in life. 

Kyle getting his own book will...be...epic. Especially if they give him a blue ring. 

All in all I will be picking up the first 10 issues of each of these new series no matter what and making my final decision as to which I will be continuing on a permanent basis. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.