Follow

Green Lantern Corps

Team » Green Lantern Corps appears in 1590 issues.

The Green Lantern Corps is an intergalactic police force dedicated to the promotion of order and democracy throughout the universe. Each Green Lantern member protects a sector and it is their duty to defend it from any possible threat.

Bias in the Green Lantern Corps

Zavimbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zavimbe

Why does it seem like the writer of GLC prefers Guy over John? From what I've heard and seen John has had greater feats (please correct me if I'm wrong) as a Green Lantern than Guy but why does it seem like GLC is a Guy Gardner series that features John Stewart?

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

Because they are racist.

Zavimbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Zavimbe

That's really what I want to say but I didn't feel like having that discussion on this site

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JonSmith

Haven't read Green Lantern Corps, is it any good?

And could it perhaps be that while Guy is a showboating glory hound, John just cares about getting the job done? So while Guy may make a big show about how he saves the day, John just saves it and moves on, thus sinking into the background while Guy takes the forefront?

Zavimbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zavimbe

Thanks. I won't get excited till I see his work though.

Some people say that GLC isn't good but it's my second favorite of the GL books (right behind Green Lantern).

It just seems like they've depowered John and made him seem like the weakest of the earth lanterns. Even when he was put on trial by the Alphas it still seemed like Guy had to come save the day. I mean John was the first mortal Guardian for Christ sake make him a little more involved in the story.

Tacos_Kickass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Tacos_Kickass

I think its because Guy is more entertaining, at least I think so. But I would like to see John more involved.

Zavimbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zavimbe

He is entertaining but most of the time he comes off as a really inconsiderate douche bag. I hated him until the Third Army arc

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#9  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Zavimbe said:

Why does it seem like the writer of GLC prefers Guy over John? From what I've heard and seen John has had greater feats (please correct me if I'm wrong) as a Green Lantern than Guy but why does it seem like GLC is a Guy Gardner series that features John Stewart?

i think its just easier to write Guy.he also seems to be more fun to use.

mk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By mk111

I honestly never noticed.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Tacos_Kickass said:

I think its because Guy is more entertaining, at least I think so. But I would like to see John more involved.

this, Guy is to Tomasi as Hal is to Geoff Johns and what John Stewart was to Dwayne McDuffie. He's spent years building up this character and make him a respectable member of the corps which makes it understandable.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JakeN7

Meh. Hadn't given it much thought. I'm sure this week's issue of Green Lantern Corps will satisfy your John Stewart craving though...

Green Lantern Corps #18
    Green Lantern Corps #18

• “WRATH OF THE FIRST LANTERN” continues!

• After having ripped apart Guy Gardner, the First Lantern now directs his singular and horrific power at John Stewart, forcing the Corps to see the light and darkness of their lives in a frightening new way!

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Guy is becoming a Red Lantern so John might get a bigger role

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KnightRise

@JakeN7 said:

Thats one of the most awesome covers I've seen recently. Will each 19th issues during WotFL be like this?

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Guy is to Tomasi as Hal is to Geoff Johns and what John Stewart was to Dwayne McDuffie. He's spent years building up this character and make him a respectable member of the corps which makes it understandable.

So true. If McDuffie was still alive I'd loved to have read a his work on a Jon-centric book rather than Threshold (which to me is practically a GL-less GL). Four Earth Lanterns and three books seems odd to me.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JakeN7

@KnightRise: My bad. I meant issue #18. Fixed the caption. And no, none of the covers seem to have a theme (like they did with all the books for issue #13, or like what they did with the last issues of GLC and GLNG) for the rest of the event.

All of 'em still look pretty cool. #19 of New Guardians seems to have a neat looking gatefold cover (part of WTF month) with Sinestro fighting Kyle on one side, and a different White Lantern (not revealed as of yet) on the other.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@KnightRise said:

@JakeN7 said:

Thats one of the most awesome covers I've seen recently. Will each 19th issues during WotFL be like this?

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Guy is to Tomasi as Hal is to Geoff Johns and what John Stewart was to Dwayne McDuffie. He's spent years building up this character and making him a respectable member of the corps which makes it understandable.

So true. If McDuffie was still alive I'd loved to have read a his work on a Jon-centric book rather than Threshold (which to me is practically a GL-less GL). Four Earth Lanterns and three books seems odd to me.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By fodigg

I don't think it's a matter of racism, but man we need more Stewart. Bring back MOSAIC WORLD!

@SmashBrawler said:

Then you'll really like this interview:

http://www.comicvine.com/news/interview-joshua-hale-fialkov-talks-green-lantern-corps-and-red-lanterns/146178/

My favorite quote from that:

JHF: He's one of my main guys. He's absolutely essential to the story of BOTH books, and, he's got to be one of my favorite GL characters. I think a lot of kids grew up only knowing John as Green Lantern thanks to the cartoons, so, bringing him front and center and really focusing on the rich story of his life is a high priority for me.

My least-favorite:

CV: You mentioned before you really wanted to take both GL CORPS and RED LANTERNS, will we see a strong connection between the titles?
    JHF: Oh yeah, this is one story told across two books.
    mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mysoulz

@Zavimbe said:

Why does it seem like the writer of GLC prefers Guy over John?

Because Tomasi prefers Guy over John. And he wrote Emerald Warriors starring Guy. So obviously, he's more comfortable portraying Guy's character. The problem here is writers tend to prefer other human GL characters over John. Stewart had development in his earlier days, he was defined more as a character to "build" to make better things in the Mosaic community and being an intellectual GL overcoming problems, instead of being defined as "Stoic" currently. And unfortunately John's big title such as a former mortal guardian is retconned.

From what I've heard and seen John has had greater feats (please correct me if I'm wrong) as a Green Lantern than Guy but why does it seem like GLC is a Guy Gardner series that features John Stewart?

Sure, John has more impressive feats than Guy both post-crisis and new 52, but this doesn't mean that he'll be written more.

I wouldn't get too excited on the new GLC by JHF though. I'm sure John would get more development, since it's more than possible he would be the star in the book, while Guy is focused more on the Red Lantern Corps. But I'm sure if Guy gets back in the GLC. John has to take the back seat again (unfortunately).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.