All the planets with K J X Q Z

Posted by RazzaTazz (9450 posts) - - Show Bio

After so many people told me to read Blackest Night and Sinestro Corps War I finally decided to start reading both Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps last month.  In doing so I sort of set myself a small project, that being to make a list of all the fictional DC planets.  Of course new planets show up all the time in Green Lantern, sometimes only for a few panels, sometimes for more.  I am trying to be exhaustive but I can only cover so much ground, in fact, if I had known about this while reading the early Wonder Woman issues, I would have been more effective, because science fiction was a big part of her early stories.  Alternately I also plan at some point to read a lot of the older Mystery in Space comics.  Anyway I have noticed something in the production of this list, and that is the inverse of letter frequency in the naming of planets.  This is the rank by which letters are most commonly used in the English language: 

E T A O I N S H R D L C U M W F G Y P B V K J X Q Z 

Out of the list which I have created there are 41 planets.  Looking at the last five letters of the sequence (K J X Q and Z) names with those show up 15 times (Korugar, Krypton, Qward, Apokolips, Xanshi, Xanador, Daxam, Karna, Hny'xx, Okaara, Euphorix, Bizarro World, Bellatrix, Seekwom, and Kautnom) which amounts to a little moe than a third of the time.  In our own solar system this occurs one time out of nine (sorry I am a traditionalist and still count Pluto) with Jupiter.  So the incidence is more than three times as high to have a rare latter for a planet name 
#1 Posted by danhimself (22212 posts) - - Show Bio

if you're looking for planets then you should read Legion of Superheroes and L.E.G.I.O.N.

#2 Posted by RazzaTazz (9450 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself
I am hoping fans of such series can help me out ... ;)
#3 Posted by danhimself (22212 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: well you won't get much from me lol....I really want to like Legion of Superheroes but I just can't get into any of their books besides Mark Waids Volume 5 which was amazing but every other Legion book I read just seems so damn boring....that and L.E.G.I.O.N. sucked!!

good luck though....maybe if you send me your list I can keep a look out for stuff to add to it for you...if you want

#4 Posted by RazzaTazz (9450 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself
Sure any help would be appreciated, the list is actually embedded in this article, you can always just post on my wall though
#5 Posted by SC (12505 posts) - - Show Bio

Great analytical work! Great blog. Great subject! 

I know of some planets you are missing, I will try to remember what they were and post them here later. 

#6 Posted by RazzaTazz (9450 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC
Just as a point to note you can spell Earth with the first nine, including the first three

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.