undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Picking up shortly after the events of Green Lantern #31, John Stewart pursues the rings that the false Green Lanterns wielded to infiltrate the corps and plan a devious sneak-attack. He arrives with his squad, but discovers someone far, far more shocking in the prison’s sub-basement. I won’t reveal who it is, but it’s someone who’s been conspicuously absent from the title for far too long and someone I’ve been wondering about for awhile. Van Jensen bringing that character back certainly brings a smile to my face, and the rest of the issue is an intense, breakneck jailbreaking story. The issue actually only gets its main cast at about the halfway mark, the first half being dedicated to the Lanterns beginning their escape by themselves. The two stories coalescing is completely organic and some of the best action in the series so far, and anytime we get to see John’s “practical” constructs, it’s a great time. It’s even a good crossover issue as reading Green Lantern helps get more out of it, but it’s by no means a requirement. This issue stands amazingly well on its own. This is definitely an action-over-character issue, but after so much buildup, it’s good to see some good ol’ fashioned ringslinging.

At the helm of said slinging is Bernard Chang and his cartoonishly ultra-detailed linework is absolutely gorgeous down to very fine detail. Of which there are MANY. There’s a great sense of motion and incredible force behind the Lanterns, but there’s also some intense, incredible violence throughout the issue. At the most brutal of those, we’re treated to Marcelo Maiolo’s shifting palette of red and white, freezing the moment in time. It’s a strange effect for a medium that, of course, is literally a series of frozen moments, but with Chang’s animated style and Maiolo’s bright, bombastic colors, it has the intended effect every, single time. This is also, I think, the most we see it used in a single issue, and it still stings every time.

The Bad

We’ve come somewhat afield from the new direction of GL: Corps and that is John Stewart training the new recruits as well as being a more traditional “space cop,” the original concept of the Corps. I get that a crossover’s plot needs to be served before the plot of its individual issues, but I’m really hoping we get back to that sooner rather than later. This is a good crossover, but I want to see the books really differentiate from one another in terms of plot again.

The Verdict

A great issue if you’re into the Uprising crossover and a great issue if you’re just reading Corps. John Stewart may not take center stage until later, but the underlying focus on the Corps as a whole is most definitely intact and does a great job of spotlighting some of the more obscure Lanterns across all of the Corps. The action scarcely lets up, breath can scarcely be caught, and the ending warms the cockles of my fanboy heart.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Captain13

Definitely a perfect issue with a HUGE surprise at the end.

I love John's drill construct.

This book keeps getting better every month. One of the best team books on the stands for sure.

The writing and art are just perfect. Everyone gets time to shine and the reading the book has the energy of playing a video game like Mass Effect. I leave feeling full after every issue.

--

I have to admit, I'm looking forward to the next storyline Jensen can come up with.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah: The New 52 debut of a famous Green Lantern character

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mysoulz

This is one of the best GLC issues I've read by far, since the new 52. This is one enjoyable issue.

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm enjoying this cross over a lot more than I though I would but I hope they give they give Lantern books room to breathe after this event.

laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SODAM YAT

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By Anjales_II

So I was considering to jump into the Green Lantern-verse in the New 52, is Uprising a good place to start? Or should I check previous arcs?

TaylorEspo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where were Batman and Dick Grayson in this issue?

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjales: I would start with issue 21 across the line/whichever title you pick up.

Avatar image for herokiller12344
    Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Herokiller12344

Didn't we just have a crossover?

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Thx I'll do that and I'll let you know how it turned out :D

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TaylorEspo said:

Where were Batman and Dick Grayson in this issue?

Just look at variant cover, he-he.

TaylorEspo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, good point. I was just thinking, I don't remember seeing them when I lettered the issue. But then, I didn't see the cover. :)

mogo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What an issue! Loved Sodam in Sinestro war and the way was drawn was awesome. If the Durlans get to Daxam it's going to be a bad day.

I also lived Ash Pak Glif return. Last I seen him was the classic green lantern 80 page giant. So cool

Avatar image for juandicimo_magnifico45
    Juandicimo_Magnifico45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could not stand some things in this book. For one, how could the Lanterns talk to each other without the rings? Plus, there were many cliche moments. The story was good, but a bad execution.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.