inferiorego's Green Lantern #65 - War of the Green Lanterns, Part Four review

• inferiorego wrote this review on .
  • inferiorego has written a total of 318 reviews. The last one was for

Review: Green Lantern #65

Oh man, it is about to "pop off." In part four of the War of the Green Lanterns, Guy and Hal are trying to find the Green House, a Green Lantern safe house, and come up with a plan to stop Krona. All four of Earth's Green Lanterns come together and change the name of the game in order to stop the War.

The Good

I've said this a few months: "I have my doubts about this war." I thought it was going to be a giant letdown, compared to the other Green Lantern stories since 2006; however, I take it all back because this storyline keeps getting better and better. There has been 65 issues in this series so far, and not one of them, in my mind, is under 3.5 stars. Most of these books are 4 stars easily.

While the issue starts a bit slow, we get to see a pretty clever, and kinda stupid plan come together. I say "kinda stupid" simply because there seems to be no other option and it could seriously hurt the Earth lanterns, especially Kyle's decision. Will this plan work? Well, you don't have to wait too long since Green Lantern Corps is also out this week.

I don't want to give too much away, since there's a good deal of possible spoilers within the issue. Here's what you really need to know: strong, fantastic writing, solid and detailed art, and a story that is a lot of interesting set-up.

The Bad

The first few pages featuring Guy and Hal were ok. It was a bit boring, but not bad by any means. It's my only complaint.

I shouldn't have to tell you to read this book. It should be obvious. While the twist at the ending may come off a tad lame at first, that's the point. It's a fly-by-night decision. War of the Green Lanterns isn't a gimmick and it isn't a novelty story line. It's just a damn good arc thus far. Keep in mind this is a pretty big set-up issue, but don't let that get you down. The next part of the story line came out this week in Green Lantern Corps, so you don't have to wait to see where it goes. Flat-out, if you're not reading Green Lantern, then you put cracks in my heart, since this is one fun book.
Posted by longbowhunter

Posted by inferiorego
@longbowhunter said:
" At first I saw the earthborn lanterns adopting different color rings as a novelty. I thought "Well here come some more GL action figures on the way". But I really liked the outcome. "
It helps to read Green Lantern Corps right afterwords so you understand that the characters are aware of their decision
Staff
Posted by longbowhunter
@inferiorego:
Oh I did.
Posted by JonesDeini

Sorry to crack your heart, Matt...now I feel bad? But honestly this War has been lame to me. I don't like how it's been done. I'm so sick of the lame mind control trick being used to make heroes fight. This has been middle of the road at it's best moments, I've even considered dropping GL because of it. I know this much, I will likely not be buying the Emerald Warrior/Corps war issues anymore.

Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir

So now Hal has a yellow ring. Now the circle of variant figures is complete.

Posted by They Killed Cap!

The next issue in the story where they go back to Oa is even better.