gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

I always enjoy when an issue starts out in the middle of some crazy scenario and then flashes back to some time before. After last month's gigantic issue that wrapped up several long running story lines, Robert Venditti is ready to unleash more upon the Green Lantern Universe. With the Lanterns fighting a massive attack and lives being lost, Venditti doesn't hold back. Just as we see things are only going to get worse, he pulls back and the story shows Hal talking with Carol.

This right here shows Venditti is aware what this book is about. This title should have huge action and crazy scenes but it is more than just that. With Hal Jordan as the main character, there is a lot of the human aspect of the Corps that needs to be remembered. Hal may be one of the greatest Green Lanterns but he is far from a perfect hero. You can see that Venditti fully understands this and how he proceeds to explore this is going to be fascinating.

Another thing we will see throughout this series is Hal becoming the actual leader of the Green Lantern Corps. With the fate of the Guardians last issue, Hal will have his hands full and who would have thought he'd actually be considered to be the leader of the entire Corp? This will definitely add a different feel to the series. For some time now we've seen the adventures of Hal and his gung-ho attitude towards everything. It's always worked for him but with these new responsibilities thrusted upon him, he'll definitely have to step up and try to grow even further.

Billy Tan's art is great to see here. Tan and Venditti have the pressure of taking over the series as the new creative team. Both are doing a wonderful job. Tan's art fits right in. A key in drawing the Corps is depicting the different species of Lanterns. Right away, when the action continues to crank up, Tan doesn't miss a beat. When we see the full attack, you'll want to pause and look at the details on the page.

The Bad

Hal as the leader will be weird. It's a great new dynamic for the character but hopefully it won't tie him down with too many responsibilities or plain old bureaucracy. It'll be fun see new recruits but at the same time, hopefully the balance between Hal's solo stories will fit in his responsibilities as the new leader. Perhaps it's time for him to stop being solo.

We get a glimpse at the reason behind the attack. It does make sense but you have to wonder if there's more to it than it appears. Although, one scene early might explain that there is something else going on.

A couple times, Hal's head looked a little small.

The Verdict

There is always concern when a new creative team takes over from a long running one. Robert Venditti and Billy Tan have stepped up to the challenge and there's no sign of hesitation. The series could be headed in a new direction as we're seeing new challenges and responsibilities thrusted upon Hal Jordan. It might be a little weird for fans of the character but it's a great change of pace, rather than seeing a continuation of the type of stories we've seen for years. Despite the frantic action at the beginning, this is setting up the new direction and we'll have to keep reading to see how it all plays out. Billy Tan's art fits nicely with the characters and he easily shows a great variety of alien species within the Green Lantern Corps. The next chapter of Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps is here and it's clear they are in capable hands.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Captain13

The writing in this issue is a 5/5. Venditti is funny where he needs to be. He knows where he wants to take these characters and how to mature them believably. He knows action. He knows good dialogue. It's great! And it's definitely my favorite issue of Green Lantern in years.

The art in this issue is a 3/5. I'm surprised DC didn't get a better artist for a flagship title like this one. Tan seems like more of a fill-in guy, and he seems to imitate Jim Lee and Doug Manhke, but he doesn't do a great job of it. His anatomy is wonky. The art is flat and undetailed. The lines are poorly inked or just not clean. It's bad. Not the worst, but bad. I have to say his designs for the new characters are good though.

I guess that averages out to a 4/5, but the writing is so good that I want to rate it higher. This is a great time to be a Green Lantern fan--especially if you burnt out on Johns like I was. It mixes old and new well. And it is respectful to all of the characters.

To be honest, I didn't like Hal before. All Johns did was needslessly praise a character who was a Mary Sue then a man-child. He kept calling him the greatest ever, but he never showed why Hal was special, so calling him the best was like spitting on every other Lantern. The other lanterns also seemed like much better choices IMO--more disciplined, interesting, professional, relatable, etc. Venditti isn't needlessly praising Hal and that already makes Hal more likable. I mean, he does make Hal the center and everything, but he isn't heavy-handed. He shows instead of tells. He also gives the character a role that will allow him to mature. And he doesn't forget about John, Carol, Kilowogg, or Kyle. Kyle has one scene that really speaks to how I felt about Hal during John's run, but it's funny and I don't think it will anger fans of any character.

I can't praise this high enough. I'm really looking forward to the stuff the rest of this new line has to offer with GLC (out next week), GLNG, and RL. Obviously it has only been one issue, but the future looks bright. This series could be as good as or better than Snyder's Batman.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

@captain13: I agree about Venditti. Maybe I was a little harder but I wanna keep him on his toes. Can't hand out a 5/5 on his first issue, right? ;)

But I am totally digging this new direction. It's gonna be weird and exciting.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Captain13

@g_man: Oh, yeah, I see where you're coming from. This is a first issue, so we have to hope that the highs will be even better than this. And that means the ratings should leave room for that. =)

I especially like the idea of mixing the various corps with characters who look to be harder sci fi. It grounds the corps a little bit and shows that we're getting something really new. This won't just be "barrel rolls and technicolor light fights." =)

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I was scared to pick this up but I might get it now. Thanks guys

broo1232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 180

User Lists: 45

I might get this it looks good enough at least and I like Venditti's Demon Knights work, but still this is a whole other type of book.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

I really liked this issue. It has some bid shoes to fill, coming so soon after Johns' monumental run, but I think it can definitely live up to that potential. Some really great stuff is happening in this issue: Hal becoming leader of the Corps will lead to some great character development, the new recruits seem ridiculously cool in a comically pathetic kind of way, etc. My only complaint would be that the scene between Hal and Carol felt a little melodramatic. Still, excited about this new direction and I'm definitely getting the next issue, and picking up the other GL monthlies.

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is gonna be my jumping on point for GL. Looking forward to reading it tonight.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By OutlawRenegade

@enigmalantern: I wasn't interested in this before either, but Cap convinced me to give it a try. I read it digitally and it was quite good. I agree with a lot of the point he and G-Man make. I have hope for this series now. It seems that all will be well.

No Caption Provided

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#9  Edited By Extremis

@captain13: yes I agree here mostly. The writing is very good (4/5 from me) but the art weighs it down a bit in its inconsistency. The first few pages are gorgeous in their own rite, then the anatomy and proportions of characters continue to get weirder and weirder. Kyle Rayner's eyes were so ridiculously far apart it's amazing Tan would think he'd pass as human to a new reader. Also, at one point (and this really bothered me as Im not sure if it was the colorists mistake or Tan's - probably still Tan's as it probably relates to his poor lines) but Hal, for one panel randomly, was sporting his old style GL uniform from the Silver Age. He had the Green part of the suit wrapping over his pelvic region when it wasn't like that for the any of the issue. This worries me along with how the quality of the art quickly deteriorated as it seems Tan probably had extra time to fine tune these first few pages, but in reality when he's on a time constraint he'll show his true colors with this sub par art.

We can't expect each week that Tan is going to get as much time for each issue as he did with his first, so I really have to worry when this inconsistent and sub art is the grand reveal how bad it will get further along. I know they seem set with Tan, but I hope DC is open to finding a replacement.

Like you said, Venditti was a great find for this series. But it is beyond me why they couldn't seal up a top artist for this big selling title. Still, it's a shame the art isn't better and more consistent because Vendittti really did a great job here.

Edit:

Heck, Philip Tan would have been better than Billy Tan. I actually really liked Philip's work on Agent Orange.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

cant wait to check this out.

cc1738

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cc1738

It was really good.

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KnightofSteel

Plan to pick this up tomorrow. Haven't read GL much since the launch of the new 52. Is this a good jumping on point? I like the idea of this new creative team.

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

So the bad is that Hal is evolving as a character. There was unconfirmed foreshadowing? And some bad art.

I'm excited.

czechoslovakia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You get a GL ring with this one right?

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

I think next week the rings are out...but I could be wrong

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EnigmaLantern

@outlawrenegade: if Venditti keeps this up then yes, I do have hope for this title. Got to give the guy some slack anyway seeing as Johns left this title with a bang - loved the previous issue to bits.

@czechoslovakia said:

I think next week the rings are out...but I could be wrong

What's this about a ring?

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@czechoslovakia: @enigmalantern:

Take a quick read :)

DC Comics recently brought back the Green Lantern Promotional scheme for the post-Johns/Mahnke/Milligan/Tomasi/Bedard run on the Green Lantern books, to help intoduce the new status quo and creative teams.

Just like they did with the Blackest Night promotion years ago, retailers could buy bags of rings to sell or give away with each issue, and DC gave them a different finish to distinguish them from the previous promotion.

And the Green Lantern ring was meant to be available with tomorrow’s Green Lantern #21. But it won’t be. There is a delay until next week for the first rings

Source: Bleeding Cool

czechoslovakia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By czechoslovakia

@sinestro_gl: thanks! so should I just buy GL next week to get the ring or what?

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@czechoslovakia: @enigmalantern:

Take a quick read :)

DC Comics recently brought back the Green Lantern Promotional scheme for the post-Johns/Mahnke/Milligan/Tomasi/Bedard run on the Green Lantern books, to help intoduce the new status quo and creative teams.

Just like they did with the Blackest Night promotion years ago, retailers could buy bags of rings to sell or give away with each issue, and DC gave them a different finish to distinguish them from the previous promotion.

And the Green Lantern ring was meant to be available with tomorrow’s Green Lantern #21. But it won’t be. There is a delay until next week for the first rings

Source: Bleeding Cool

Definitely getting Green Lantern #21 now. I need a ring so I can call the Oath of the Green Lanterns in the middle of my next exam.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

I am sure this will be great.

weenman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By weenman1
    No Caption Provided

What's up with the Infinity Gauntlet in the evidence vault?!

Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Since last issue's epilogue felt like another illusion world created by Volthoom, I'm glad this issue doesn't hint at any of those possible futures.

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

#23  Edited By tomlikesfries

Man, this issue was great. Mr Venditti is off to an amazing start.

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just read it and really enjoyed it! But I'm not sure I understand something. I thought Larfleez was the only orange lantern. Was the rest of the lanterns constructs he made or actual orange lanterns?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Really enjoyed this, Venditti is off to a great start.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shieldbearer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dark_guyver: Constructs. Anyone here can correct me if I am wrong, but anyone that is slain by Larfleeze becomes a construct much like a ghost that retains the same personality and attitude.

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I dug the issue but one thing that REALLY bothered me was how Kyle was drawn. His mask looked incredibly goofy! It popped out way to far and you could see his nose in one panel which I thought was covered by the mask. Just looked real weird

mark15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

loved this issue! loved the humor, its a tonal change but we need that after so much "epicness" has happened recently

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just read it and really enjoyed it! But I'm not sure I understand something. I thought Larfleez was the only orange lantern. Was the rest of the lanterns constructs he made or actual orange lanterns?

No Caption Provided

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@czechoslovakia: I guess you should get it next week, but be sure to check with your local comic-book shop...wouldn't want you to miss out!

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for teamunitednerds
    TeamUnitedNerds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By TeamUnitedNerds

I didn't like how out of character Larfleeze was. Everything else was fine with me

ScarletBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't like how out of character Larfleeze was. Everything else was fine with me

Out of character? He's back to his old ways of wanting... Everything.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

While I'm glad for a new writer there are somethings that I do not like.

Hal Jordan as leader: I'm a fan but I think this was a bad move. If they didn't want the Guardians to take over then they should have made it a counsel of Honor Guard rule. There are a few reasons that Hal shouldn't be the leader.

Salaak giving up his position and Kilowog not taking his old one up again. I do like John getting the new one he's getting though.

Carol still having a ring.

Many of the other corps still being there.

Kyle's look.

There are more but they've slipped my mind.

GL2814_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13: I created a log in specifically to say that this is the best review Ive seen.

On top of that, captain13 is 110% with his first comment. Couldn't agree more. Loved the book, Venditti is off to a great start. Ive enjoyed Hal (my all time favorite) more in this one book than I have in months.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've lost interest in this series since Sinestro left. I'm sure it's still good, I just don't like Hal as much as everyone else.

GL2814_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mezmero: Sinestro was great. It does seem though that Hal is going to be getting more character development than he's had in a while. May still be worth checking out.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anabyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13:

I'm happy that Venditti is writing both Green Lantern titles! I'm also glad i'm not the only one who loves his writing this guy gives it his all who knows he may be a better writer that Johns

GL2814_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GL2814_1

@anabyss: I really enjoy his X-O stuff and am thrilled to have him on GL. No offense to Johns, but I haven't personally enjoyed his GL for a long while. This issue demonstrated an approach to Hal and the corps which I'm already enjoying exponentially more. Can't wait for more from Venditti and Tan.

Avatar image for juandicimo_magnifico45
    Juandicimo_Magnifico45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this issue a LOT! I was very skeptical since Johns left, but I am happy with it! Plus, I think the art was simply superb.

@sinestro_gl: Just like you see in the picture you posted, he controls anyone he kills as a construct. So yes, all of those guys attacking with Larfleeze were constructs of his.

Rich711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#44  Edited By Rich711

I didnt see the Hal & Carol as Venditti realizing the book requires character development and human relationships but him closing the door on Hal's primary relationship so he can not have it getting in the way of his typical "Smash, smash and smash some more!" attempt at writing. I fear he will have Hal "married" to the Corp and we will get nothing but Hal flying around and smashing stuff for 12 issues, just like XO-Manowar.

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rich711 said:

I didnt see the Hal & Carol as Venditti realizing the book requires character development and human relationships but him closing the door on Hal's primary relationship so he can not have it getting in the way of his typical "Smash, smash and smash some more!" attempt at writing. I fear he will have Hal "married" to the Corp and we will get nothing but Hal flying around and smashing stuff for 12 issues, just like XO-Manowar.

I do not know what is the problem with writers and having to ''keep things loose''. You don't need to focus on it but after the whole Epilogue-kinda thing with Geoff's run , you instantly break them up ? Such subtlety... otherwise the direction is interesting but I had enough of the supposed '' relationships'' being toyed with as I seem to cannot find myself investing in them again , knowing no more than a month later they will butcher it...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.