sinestro_gl's Green Lantern #20 - The End review

Whatever Happened to the Emerald Knights?

SPOILERS.

You have been warned!

What is there to say about Geoff Johns' 9-year run that hasn't already been said? Green Lantern #20 brings the curtain down on an amazing story that was started by Johns way back in 2004. This issue, for me, was possibly the best last-issue that any author could hope to write.

To many, 'Wrath of the First Lantern' has been rather hit-and-miss. Personally, I don't really care much for Simon Baz (as I have hardly seen him since his introduction), and my interest in this arc wained terribly when Sinestro and Hal were both stuck in the deadzone for large parts of the arc. However, this 64-page spectacle makes the arc almost worthwhile. As the name of my review suggests, this story is very similar in theme to the Superman classic "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" If there was ever a last Green Lantern story to be told, this would be it.

Let's talk about the art. I have often said that there are few things in comic-book art that pleases me more than seeing either the Flash running and lanterns in combat. This particular issue is simply visually outstanding. Not only are the battles beautifully drawn, but the emotions that Doug Mahnke and co. have been able to show on the faces of all the characters is amazing. Seeing the full emotional spectrum in full swing always gives me the chills as well.

For me, what this issue is most memorable for is for the moment we've all been waiting for since Johns took ovet the GL title: seeing Sinestro as Parallax. You have no idea how long I've been waiting for this to happen. I actually felt light-headed when I saw that panel for the first time.

It's hard to not think about the entirety of Johns' run when writing this review. I remind myself of the emotions that I lived through when reading the Sinestro Corps War, Secret Origin, Blackest Night, Brightest Day and all the other wonderful stories I have been so fortunate to read, and all the characters we've been introduced to as a result. A quick glance at my username will not hide how much I've appreciated the GL universe.

Thank you Mr. Johns for an incredible journey. I wish you the best of luck on your future projects and hope that the GL corps will continue to burn bright. I can't recall any other title that made me say "H07y $h!T" more times than I can count.