gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Last issue I had minor concerns with the art but seeing Ardian Syaf and Szymon Kudranski handle their sections of the issue was incredible. Normally different artists on the same issue is a distraction but it works perfectly here as the story takes place on Korugar and in the Dead Zone.

We know Geoff Johns' run is ending and you can feel the story's pace building more and more. Both Sinestro and Hal are in sticky situations. A great thing Johns has done is evolve both characters. Sinestro may be perceived as a one-dimensional character but Johns never ceases to amaze with what he has Sinestro do next. Hal has also come a long way since the very first issue of this volume.

As you move through the issue, there are moments you'll appreciate but it's not until the end Johns lays it all out. Next issue is his last one and it's clear he's planning on going out with a bang.

The Bad

I still am not a fan of the First Lantern. I can appreciate him being an immensely powerful threat but his motives come across as petty. This is how it's been in all the tie-in issues for Wrath of the First Lantern. I may have missed it but even his speech pattern doesn't fit for such an ancient being that's been locked up for millennia. He may be the driving force for some cool things that are about to happen but I'm ready for his story to be over, even though that means Geoff Johns run is over as well.

The story takes a slight dip as we see the First Lantern do this tormenting thing as he did with Kyle and Guy. There are some interesting moments but it's not until the end it all pays off.

The Verdict

The end is near and it's clear Geoff Johns is going all out in delivering an explosive final issue for his run. Sinestro and Hal are two characters he's spent an enormous amount of time cultivating and you can see he still has plenty more to do with them. The story of the First Lantern may be getting a tad tiresome as it's continuing from the other titles but you'll be on the edge of your seat by the time you reach the end of this issue. There's no telling what Geoff Johns has planned next. That's what makes this series so fun and exciting.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I was excited for this release, but hate that it's #19... just a reminder that now there's only one issue left under Johns. I have high hopes for Venditti, though.

BubbaDuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree that this story is getting old quick. I'm more excited to see it's repercussions than see how it ends.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By dondave

@dabee said:

I was excited for this release, but hate that it's #19... just a reminder that now there's only one issue left under Johns. I have high hopes for Venditti, though.

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

G-man I'll have to check but i think they mentioned early off the first lantern traveled through time to witness the creation of the universe or something along those lines =p

one thing i dont understand is how sinestro could harm him but kyle the white lantern couldn't

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5 the_stegman  Moderator

@g_man

I still am not a fan of the First Lantern. I can appreciate him being an immensely powerful threat but his motives come across as petty. This is how it's been in all the tie-in issues for Wrath of the First Lantern. I may have missed it but even his speech pattern doesn't fit for such an ancient being that's been locked up for millennia.

This sums up perfectly my problems with the First Lantern as well. He's been locked up for centuries upon centuries...so he takes his revenge out on the Lanterns who did nothing to him..and he's just so...glib.

Noxxin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the issue, and I love how it's coming to an end. I'm hoping Baz and Black Lantern Jordan are the keys to at least stopping the First Lantern. Considering how he's leeching emotions off of other lanterns to power up, I'm hoping our Black Lantern messes him up, considering they seek out emotions too. It's mixing some of my favorite elements from Blackest Night together.

Avatar image for dragonslash7205
    dragonslash7205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, I don't like the way things turns. If something isn't broken, don't fix it. First, the new Green Lantern, Baz, second, Hal Jordan will turns a Black Lantern? Come on! and the third, Sinestro will be a Yellow Lantern, again!? I like it the idea of Sinestro been a Green Lantern again, Hal Jordan as Green Lantern always had been good, just remember when Kyle Rydner was Green Lantern for a long time, the writers didn't know how Kyle could shiny and now, with this guy, Baz, they sell us a new idea of Green Lantern, like the new Saint Seiya Omega, new Pegasus, Dragon, etc., and the old? Where are they? Given the oportunity the new ones looks good, amazing, but, somebody will remember them? No. I hope this doesn't turns like a think because Green Lantern is one of my favorite comics, with Hal Jordan as Green Lantern!

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

Yeah, I think this is probably one of the most boring Green Lantern storylines ever. It feels very repetitive and the First Lantern does seem very lack-luster. It feels like the last season of Lost when Jacob and that other guy was introduced. Lets just hope this whole thing doesn't end up being limbo.

Avatar image for batsymyplaything
    batsymyplaything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By batsymyplaything

@doordoor123 said:

It feels very repetitive.

So true, especially if fans kept up with the crossovers with the other green lantern titles. First Lantern's goal to recharge his juice seems soo repetitive that it makes you regret ever picking up any of the green lantern issues for this arc in the first place. The destruction of Sinestro's home planet seemed ordinary and left to impact at all, at least to me. But still, the further development of Sinestro as a character and the Hal being Hal makes this issue worthwhile to pick up.

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The First Lantern is so dumb. Every issue he does the same thing, he babbles about life decisions and makes characters relive their pasts in different ways. Then he sucks the emotions out of them and is like, "YES, I'M STRONGER!"

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By longbowhunter

<p>I hope Johns brings it home with the next issue be because so far this has been weak. I really liked all the stuff with Baz before this.</p>

soumya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The First Lantern is so dumb. Every issue he does the same thing, he babbles about life decisions and makes characters relive their pasts in different ways. Then he sucks the emotions out of them and is like, "YES, I'M STRONGER!"

The every word you had mentioned is so true.Very slow paced,repetitive story arc I ever seen.

Equonox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Equonox

@soumya said:

@manwithoutshame said:

The every word you had mentioned is so true.Very slow paced,repetitive story arc I ever seen.

Yep and yep. Lame villain. I am INCREDIBLY excited for Black Lantern Hal tho...gonna f*** s*** up.

Radread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

I can't say that this issue didn't do a huge status quo changer for Sinestro and Hal, but I agree, ready for this story line to end. If the First Lantern did anything along with the issue #0s is that is explained the DC nu 52's origins for the characters.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Just one issue left. Then it's over. I look forward to reading this story.

Avatar image for thanosofatlanta
    ThanosofAtlanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am only reading the main Green Lantern title. I am not following every chapter of the First Lantern story. My rule is that unless its something I am really interested in, I don't break my subscription read only rule. Hey Comics are mad expensive.

I have been a huge fan of the Johns Mahnke era on GL and will miss Johns on the book. When he leaves, I am going to end my subscription on the book.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Still not digging the First Lantern but I read this comic for Hal, Sinestro, and to a lesser extent Baz. "Hal Jordan will be the greatest Black Lantern." I need to see this right now. I really want to see what zombies he raises.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

This issue had a HOLY SH*T ending to it...or at least the last couple of pages.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I would be bothered about this ending so quickly if I wasn't so glad. Geof Johns went off the rails awhile back. Its about time for some new blood.

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

The issue was great. Really not liking the story arc, but the issue overall was filling to my stomach.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.